UKC

Improving times on and off the treadmill

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
bradzy_c 05 Aug 2013
Hi all,

Cutting to the chase, I'm looking at joining the armed forces and need to work on my run times.

The times I need are 1.5 mile in 12:30 followed by 1.5 mile in 10:30 max. Currently I can do 3 mile in 25 mins off the treadmill and I've only started training this week so this is my starting time. However I find that when I'm on the treadmill (which I'll have to be for the tests), I struggle to maintain a speed. My questions are:

Realistically, how long will it take to reach them goals of running? (Considering I can train all week and eat whatever I need to reach my goals)

What would be the best plan of action for training? (At the moment in focusing on running constant 3 milers on the treadmill similar to my test to get me used to it but friends are advising me to incorporate long runs, tempo runs, intervals etc)

Finally, any tips or tricks to be able to run on a treadmill at a consistent pace?

Sorry to burden you all with newbie questions!!
All help appreciated

Many thanks,
Beaker
 Tall Clare 05 Aug 2013
In reply to bradzy_c:

Mr TC got our neighbour to meet this goal by getting her running intervals on the treadmill. I'm sure someone will be along with more specific advice but I can always ask him for more details if you like.
 Banned User 77 05 Aug 2013
In reply to bradzy_c:

Use the treadmill but add at least 1%.. 0% is unrealistically fast..

I would just run more.. 5 milers at least..

How long depends on the person.. you'll get results in 2-3 months.. but just run more for now.. tempo/intervals arent needed if you are just doing 3 milers..

A young fit guy should do that no problem, just do more exercise.. bike everywhere... lose weight if you think you carry excess,.

I'd certainly be running up tp 6 milers regularly..
In reply to bradzy_c: Basically anything you do from 0 results in big improvements.. you'll be on an exponential improvement phase.. most rewarding..
XXXX 05 Aug 2013
In reply to bradzy_c:

7 min miles aren't that fast for a young, fit person who can already run 3 miles consecutive miles of 8:20. You'll probably find that come the day, with a bit of adrenaline you'll do it easy. The biggest advice I can therefore give is not to train too hard or you'll get injured.

If you can't run at constant speed on a steadily revolving belt, I'd suggest that no hints and tips are going to improve this

Good luck.
bradzy_c 05 Aug 2013
In reply to IainRUK: thanks very much for the advice guys.

When you say add 1%, do you mean gradient? (Sorry!)

Also would you recommend to just keep the running sessions to mock tests. What I mean is, keep practicing the 3 miler and improve the speed until I hit my goal? Or include varied training?

Cheers,
Beaker
In reply to bradzy_c: yes... 1% gradient.. flat on the treadmill is too easy compared to outside.. varied training..

high monotony = injury.. so too much the same.. so just mix it up.. run on trails.. hills.. roads.. just make it fun, the more you do the quicker you will get with the amount you are doing.. reps/tempo etc.. will provide variety but right now anything you do will reap benefits, even cycling.
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to bradzy_c) yes... 1% gradient.. flat on the treadmill is too easy compared to outside.. varied training..
>
> high monotony = injury.. so too much the same.. so just mix it up.. run on trails.. hills.. roads.. just make it fun, the more you do the quicker you will get with the amount you are doing.. reps/tempo etc.. will provide variety but right now anything you do will reap benefits, even cycling.
Interesting point. I went out for my usual monday night run and reversed my normal 10k whilst adding a little more distance. The time flew and it was much more enjoyable. I think i need to mix things up a bit.
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: If running on the road you should never run the same loop the same way time after time... the road camber gets a problem for your knees.. you always run slightly compressed on one side..

Its why alternating routes is also a good idea..
Kelly26 06 Aug 2013
In reply to bradzy_c:
It is all good advice from the guys above,
I'm in the military and have run the same mile and a half many times, the thing is I know you need to pass the fitness test on a treadmill to get in first and foremost but once you have you will never run the 1 1/5 mile on the treadmill again. It's on a course around playing pitches outside not matter what the weather.
I trained by running a mixture of 3 miles and intervals then once a week a longer run, say 45 mins-but I wasn't bothered about distance for that run. Then every two weeks I would do a best effort mile and a half on treadmill (everything else was outside.)
But also don't focus everything on running, put some weights into your workout it will help tone you and improve your running, but you have to do sit ups and press ups in the test too. And general muscular fitness will help you through your training.
 nw 06 Aug 2013
In reply to bradzy_c:
Just after I did my PJFT in 2008 I believe they changed it so that you will run the test on a 1% gradient, so that is the minimum you should be doing. Might be worth doing intervals at a higher gradient too.
 nw 06 Aug 2013
In reply to nw:
Also I followed pretty much the same routine as Kelly and found the running to be the easiest part of selection. Get used to doing bodyweight circuits to the point of puking, and then do some more. Getting the scores is one thing but determination and perseverance is a huge part of it as well. No matter how fit you are they will piut you under pressure and out of your comfort zone, what they want to see is that you keep going.
 bshill 06 Aug 2013
Go fell running? (That's my answer to everything?!) If you're young ish (<40) not overweight those targets should be fine. I would practice running those distances at tempo as much as possible. I found when I started my times were slashed in my first 2 months not because I was fitter but because I learnt to how to stand that pain at tempo. And yes running with other people and in races helps a tonne. Is there a local parkrun near you? (Free 5K races, just google it). Based on your current times a not super hard target (but still hard!!) would be Sub 21 mins for 5Km in 2 months, and if you're feeling up for it Sub 8 Min/mile for a 10km.

but most of all, enjoy it!
ice.solo 07 Aug 2013
In reply to bradzy_c:

Run outdoors definitely, but use a treadmill at times to know your precise speed, gradient and times.

5 x 400m sprints w/ 90sec rests between.
6kms of intervals swtiching between 50% and 75% max effort in 750m stages.
Regular all out 1.5miles.
1min speed pyramids starting at 75% max effort.

Leg conditioning sessions once or twice every 10 days helps. Maybe on the sprint days.
 Uluru 07 Aug 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: I'm definitely no where near as much of an expert as Iain. But I do agree 100%. I was training for my first half a couple of years ago and was doing the same road route 3 times a week and I managed to get a nasty hip injury on my left side. Since then I've been mixing up my routes and the surfaces which I run on I'm getting a lot fewer injuries.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...