UKC

Breakfast on race day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 06 Aug 2013

Could be on the running forum also:

Big Tri - 1.5km swim, 62km bike, 13km run.

Race starts at 8am.

What to have for breakfast and how early?
 The New NickB 06 Aug 2013
In reply to Removed User:

Running I need to eat at leat two hours before, usually something like a bagel with peanut butter, same probably applies for swimming. The big question is probably how you fuel in the bike.
Removed User 06 Aug 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

I'll use energy gels during the race.
 Voltemands 06 Aug 2013
In reply to Removed User: If only gels during, then I'd always have something more solid pre-race. What have you always used before training sessions? As it's best not to try anything new come race day.
 Wonrek 06 Aug 2013
In reply to Removed User: are up travelling to the race or able to rock up without too much travel?

Id normally have porridge when I get up/before i leave the house but this could be as much as 4/5 hrs before the race starts.

Small packets of oatcakes (cheese ones) make a good top up I've found.
 steev 06 Aug 2013

A slightly bigger bowl of muesli than normal a couple of hours before the race starts and something like a banana or cereal bar 20 mins before the start is what I've done for bike races. If you've eaten well the night before and are well hydrated then there's no need for a massive feed to weigh you down.
In reply to Removed User: cereal and fruit about 2-3 hrs before the start, unless its winter, then porridge
I've dabbled with eating masses more (felt sick) anand i find one of the keys to it (for me) is timing the last toilet visit before the race.

Enjoy, I've got my first middle distance tri on Sunday (1.9km, 90, 21), I'm somewhat nervous

x
 cousin nick 06 Aug 2013

Start the day before too. Plenty pasta or the like for dinner the night before. Breakfast as others have said: Porridge or muesli with fruit plus some wholemeal toast/jam. I usually have some malt loaf too en-route and just before the event. Flapjack or muesli bars on the bike (not a fan of gels!). Eat before hungry, drink before thirsty.
N
 Banned User 77 06 Aug 2013
In reply to Removed User: 2 pieces of toast.. or 2-3 croissants.. 2-3 hours before..

But swimming may be different. I can eat very close to a bike session.. running I like 2 hours.. normally nearer 3 but depends on the distance.

I tend to avoid dairy the day of a race.. a tiny bit in coffee.
 Banned User 77 06 Aug 2013
In reply to cousin nick:
> (In reply to Minneconjou Sioux)
>
> Eat before hungry, drink before thirsty.
> N

Do NOT drink before thirst... thats outdated and why we have issues in many races now.. drink on thirst.. monitor what you have.

Rigid Raider 06 Aug 2013

A bowl of fruit & fibre and some brown toast with butter and marmalade a couple of hours before.

For me, the morning bowel movement is a far greater obsession; it really stresses me up trying to make sure it all happens in time, especially with an early start. A cup of hot coffee usually does the trick.
Removed User 06 Aug 2013
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Thanks everyone.

I agree, with the early start (and I will be up there the night before) it might be the toilet that's the biggest issue.

I think I'll go for the muesli and toast option with a small cup of coffee.
 Banned User 77 07 Aug 2013
>
>
>
> For me, the morning bowel movement is a far greater obsession;

Its why I often go for a mile or two's run.. even before a marathon..

A big event though and the evolved preparation for 'flight' response kicks in..
 Enty 07 Aug 2013
>
> A bowl of fruit & fibre and some brown toast with butter and marmalade a couple of hours before.
>
> For me, the morning bowel movement is a far greater obsession; it really stresses me up trying to make sure it all happens in time, especially with an early start. A cup of hot coffee usually does the trick.

Me too - I'll go for a practice lap about an hour before with bog paper in my sky rocket. The feeling of lightness can't be underestimated mentally.

As for brecky - most of my races are mid afternoon so I'm ok with a light pasta lunch.

For an early start I have brown toast, honey and banana. Try to avoid milk as it snots me up.

If it's a really early start like La Marmotte or a big sportive with a 7am start I rely on a mahoosive meal the night before and a very light brecky.

E
some_fulla_ant 08 Aug 2013
In reply to IainRUK: Can you give some more background to that Iain? I've always felt that I suffer badly from dehydration (nasty migraines) and so quite often before hard exercise I'm trying to get as hydrated as possible...
 Paul Atkinson 08 Aug 2013
In reply to some_fulla_ant: for hydration the bible is Waterlogged by Tim Noakes which comprehensively covers the up to date science - the practical essentials from this are summarised on the excellent irunfar ultrarunning website if you google it.

As far as breakfast goes I reqlly wouldn't try anything much different from your usual on race day unless you've already tried it in training. Four or five bananas and toxically strong coffeefor me or porridge and banana if winter. Good luck in your race
P
 mattrm 08 Aug 2013

A banana or two a couple of hours before hand. I'll try and shake things down as well, but I always seem to need the loo a bunch of times.
 PanzerHanzler 08 Aug 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to cousin nick)
> [...]
>
> Do NOT drink before thirst... thats outdated and why we have issues in many races now.. drink on thirst.. monitor what you have.

Very good point and well made - a bit further reading for those interested:

http://runnersconnect.net/coach-corner/the-truth-about-dehydration-and-opti...

Removed User 09 Aug 2013
In reply to Paul Atkinson:

Thanks for that.

I generally don't like too feel full so I think i will have a good meal the night before and a relatively light breakfast and then rely on the energy gels.

On the bike I will have two bottles, one with water and the other with electrolytes. It is likely to be quite hot on the day so I want to keep some electrolytes going in. I generally sip regularly on the bike rather than taking in a big load in one go. TBH, I will be very surprised if I take in both bottles within the 62km as I have never had a big requirement for fluids. I think the trick is to start the race in a hydrated state but, as Iain says, don't force yourself to drink if you dont feel the need.

I hate taking fluids while I'm running but will likely need something and will make use of the water stations on the way round.

This is now the plan. Feel free to critisise as you like.

After the race I'm off to Jasper for some climbing so I will update everyone on my return.
Rigid Raider 09 Aug 2013

I hate to admit this but.... when I've ridden the Cape Argus and suffered cramp thanks to the heat, a drink of (shudder) Coca Cola at the feed stations has sorted it. Maybe it's the phosphoric acid?
 Paul Atkinson 09 Aug 2013
> Maybe it's the phosphoric acid?

Maybe it's the "central controller" feeling happy and telling the body everything's ok

Removed User 09 Aug 2013
>
> I hate to admit this but.... when I've ridden the Cape Argus and suffered cramp thanks to the heat, a drink of (shudder) Coca Cola at the feed stations has sorted it. Maybe it's the phosphoric acid?

They actually offer this at the turnaround station (6.5km into the run).

I might well take a swig!
 rallymania 09 Aug 2013

>
> I might well take a swig!

try and "shake" the gas out of it first, may not affect you, but i tried a fizzy drink once mid race and felt bloated and gassy for ages afterwards.

Removed User 18 Aug 2013

Ok so here's how I did for anyone interested:

Swim - 30:18
Bike - 2:02:07
Run - 1:05:13

Total time 3:37:37

I came in 46th overall out of 190 and this included teams. I came in 9th in my age group (40-49)but to put things in perspective, the guy who won it outright was also in my age group and did the whole thing in 2:50:25.

Next year I move into the 50-59 age group and would have come second. The winner of this group did it in 3:26:41. I'm sure I can get 5mins on both my run time and my swim time if I up my training but I think I can really eat into my bike time with a concerted effort. This is my first year on a bike and I'm sure that a good winter under my belt will help plus there might also be some equipment specific time savings I could get if I went onto a time trial bike.

So.......I want to up my average from 30.5km/hr to 35+km/hr. All you experts out there might perhaps have some advice for me?
 Saintly 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Removed User: What did you end up eating pre and during race out of interest?
Removed User 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Saintly:

I had a Croisant with jam and a cup of coffee. 15mins before the start I took a gell and then once I hit the bike I took another one. Then there was a second gell on the bike and one on the run and that was it.

It pretty much equals one gell every 45mins. It seemed to work well and I certainly didn't feel that I was going to bonk.
 Saintly 21 Aug 2013
In reply to Removed User: good stuff thanks for the reply it was just a bit of curiousty on my part.
I've only ever done a couple of sprint tri's but tended to lay off the food till after the swim then fuel up on the bike where i know i can get food in.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...