UKC

Maps for road rides

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr Fuller 06 Aug 2013
Just interested in what maps people carry with them if they’re going out for an exploratory road ride. I usually carry a 1:50 000 OS map if I’m going somewhere new but I find the scale a bit too fine for cycling and invariably end up going off the edge of it. Has anyone tried the 1:100 000 cycling maps that the AA make (eg. ‘Cycling in the North of England’)? Shadings or contours for easy finding of big hills would be a bonus too (so I can track them down, rather than avoid them...). Any other alternatives (not smart phone/GPS/etc.) for road rides?
OP Mr Fuller 06 Aug 2013
In reply to Mr Fuller: Just realised the AA don't do maps, but guides. That's no good then... Does anyone make a portable 1:100000 map for UK roads?
 Jack_Lewin 06 Aug 2013
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Just about to go and cycle the Outer Hebrides using this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Books-Hebrides-Leisure-Tourist/dp/184907010...

Is there something similar for your area, or where your heading?
 nniff 06 Aug 2013
In reply to Mr Fuller:

The OS do 1:100,000 or therabouts maps of various parts of the country -
Cornwall, the Cotswolds, Peak District, Lakes for example. Other ares are biiger sacle (Scotland and N Wales for example). Have a wander around the OS site.

You can also get 1:50,000 custom-made to suit your likely direction of travel
 Marek 06 Aug 2013
In reply to Mr Fuller:
I tend to just print off a disposable copy from Bing maps at whatever scale, resolution and sheet size make sense for the ride. If I have the inclination I might construct a more elaborate 'route guide' in Photoshop. Either way it's more compact and manageable than a whole OS map.
 Hat Dude 06 Aug 2013
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Get a big road atlas with the metal coil binding at 4 inches to 1 mile; tear out the page you want and fold it into a zip lock poly bag.

You can usually pick them up cheap in shops like "The Works" and you've got the whole country covered for 3 or 4 quid

OP Mr Fuller 06 Aug 2013
In reply to Mr Fuller: Cheers all. I hadn't found the 1:100 000 maps on the OS site. Pity there's not one for Leeds and the Dales, but I think I might buy a big map as mentioned and then pull pages out. That'll be lighter and more aerodynamic than an OS map too. Now I just need to go at a speed where that'll make a difference...
Rigid Raider 06 Aug 2013
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Agreed on the £2.99 road atlas from the seconds bookstore. Chuck away the pages you don't need.
 nniff 06 Aug 2013
In reply to Mr Fuller:

If you do that, paint it both sides with clear/neutral polyurethane varnish. It makes paper a lot tougher and reasonably waterproof. My cycling maps are photocopies of a rather handy '30 miles around London' map that has the lane names on it, varnished and folded to jersey pocket size. Make sure you coat the edges properly, because that's where water/sweat creeps in otherwise.
 Liam M 06 Aug 2013
In reply to Mr Fuller: Apparently they stopped making them a few years ago, but if you can find one OS did a 1:250000 map that I think is perfect for road cycling.
 TobyA 06 Aug 2013
In reply to Mr Fuller: Where I live they do 1:200,000 maps for cyclists and for road riding these are fine - even in a full day of riding you are unlikely to go off the edge!

I know its not much help for you, but if you can find something in the UK at around that scale, I think you'll be fine. The ones here have blow up sections for cities and main towns which help a bit navigate the urban cycle path network - that where 1:200000 is to small a scale.
 martin andrew 09 Aug 2013
In reply to Mr Fuller:
I use anquet maps and print off 1:50 k or 1:100k (memorymap is similar)
A4 is convenient sizewise and lasts pretty well
Just been on a tour in the hebrides and printed series of maps before we went without having to take a pile of os maps
On tours you can run the same software on a 7inch tablet ( the licence covers i think 5 devices ) which works well if you can charge it each day, you can get the whole of uk mapping in something the size of one os map which fits in a map case on barbag but not suitable for day rides, its will work on a smartphone and works without a signal but the screen isnt big enough for route planning
Paper doesnt run out of juice though!
 Mouflon 10 Aug 2013
I use the Philips Navigator Britain Atlas 1:100000 (c 1.5 miles to inch).
An ideal scale for cycling. Just rip the pages out.
Used it for LEJOG a few years ago and found all the minor roads were shown.
In reply to Mr Fuller:

My wife has a Garmin Edge 800 GPS unit with full UK mapping. Useful but main problems are: small area shown on screen; cost; battery life if you are unable to recharge.

As others have said, old versions of road atlases are very useful as the new roads tend to be motorways and dual carriageways so not typically bike friendly.

ALC
OP Mr Fuller 10 Aug 2013
In reply to Mr Fuller: I managed to find an OS map of the discontinued 'Tour' series that covers Leeds and the Yorkshire Dales in 1:100000 with city centres englarged, and with heights and cycle routes marked. Absolutely perfect! I got it off an online book shop second-hand via eBay. I'm surprised OS don't still make them, but if you can get hold of one then I'd say go for it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...