UKC

Child seat on mountain bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 WILLS 06 Aug 2013
No experience with these. Wondering if the front one or rear ones are better? Or maybe a bike trailer? I've got a Marin b17 hard tail. I like the look of the co pilot rear seat. But don't fancy being kicked in the bum for an hour. How do the front ones affect your balance?
And before we start, yes I did use the search tab but it brought up nothing relevant.
Thanks.
 TobyA 06 Aug 2013
In reply to WILLS: Had no probs fitting the basic Hamax (?) ones on my hard tail Kona. They have little straps on the foot rest to stop them kicking you in the bum BTW.
OP WILLS 07 Aug 2013
In reply to TobyA: that sounds great. Foot restraints. How did your son/daughter find it?
 TobyA 07 Aug 2013
In reply to WILLS: Two kids, so two bike seats - they seemed to really like it. One thing though is where I live you ride almost everywhere on separated bike paths. It's not hard to ride with the weight of a little 'un there but I wouldn't want to have needed to ride in heavy traffic with him there.
Graeme G 07 Aug 2013
In reply to WILLS:

Copilot Limo. Brilliant and well worth the money.
 Dave B 07 Aug 2013
In reply to WILLS:

Some people find the front seats really good, but I tried and didn't get on with it at all. I couldn't fit around this kid safely. Like anything on the front it will slow steering and being used to panniers I found the back just like that, but more so. You have to perfect the getting on and off by yourself mlarky straddling the bike backwards and being able to do/undo straps and lift the kid on and off. THe back one worked well for both our kids and we're getting close to being able to use the trailgator and mini-bike combo for the second one. That'll be a good day!
 JCurrie 07 Aug 2013
In reply to WILLS:
I have a Hamax one available if you are anywhere near Aberdeen.
Jase
In reply to WILLS: Might be worth watching the following for inspiration.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/video/2013/jul/25/guide-ca...

I have the Weeride. LO loves being able to see everything instead of daddy's back. Thought it would be too small but no problems. Easy to dismount. Turning circle not affected at all. Balance - I see no effect. You feel like you are protecting LO by surrounding him/her.

Downside - it is more intrusive, your knees are pushed out so not as comfortable and hills out of the saddle - well, easier to change down gears and stay in saddle. Tw*t car drivers don't immediately know you have a child on board so will get close to you.
 Leonard Tedd 07 Aug 2013
In reply to WILLS:

Our wee-un was in a Yepp mini from 9 months and loves it. It's a front seat. To mount on a mtb aheadset it needed a different part (which includes a bolt around the stem). I used a steering tube extender to raise the riding position slightly, which reduced the bandy-legs problem of the seat being in the way of the cyclists' movement. The perspex screen works well.

It's easy to monitor what they're up to when it's a front seat eg. she's worked out how to get her helmet off, and when the child falls asleep they can rest against your forearm.

Thoroughly recommended.

Leonard

In reply to WILLS: in case the following is of use to peeps interested in the thread.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?cata...

Reduced to £120.00

Use coded B13BP20 gets a further 20% off

Get the British Cycling £15 Bronze pack membership for £9 by using TFL13 and direct debit. This gives you 10% off at Halfords

Now buy equivalent vouchers from http://select.halfordsbusinessservices.co.uk/ which gives you 10% off.

Order trailer via Quidco for 3% cashback

With a bit of maths the total discount comes to 42%.

£120 - 42% discount = £78.60 price (including the BC bronze pack (that you then cancel dd) for a £200 trailer.
 chris fox 07 Aug 2013
In reply to WILLS:

I've got this,

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/siesta-on-frame-cycle-baby-seat-black-red-id_819...

took longer to get it out of the packaging than it did to fit to the bike ! As it's cantilevered it'll gently rock my daughter to sleep too
 BazVee 07 Aug 2013
In reply to WILLS:

I used a Hamax one that fastens at the back, used for mainly flat off road trails although did take the little boy down the blue run at Coed Y Brenin ... very slow at the small drops so as not to bounce him around too much ... might you be interested in a used one at a reasonable price as I have been thinking about selling it. barry
 ByEek 07 Aug 2013
In reply to WILLS: I have been using a rear seat since my son was 9 months. He is now 3 and a half and still using it with no problems. I was put off the front seats as they seemed to be a permanent fixture whereas the rear one just slots into an attachment on the main upright stem of the frame. I certainly wouldn't be able to get my son onto a front seat now.
 Tricky Dicky 12 Aug 2013
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat: Brilliant way of gettingdiscount from halfrauds!!!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...