UKC

Hiking to the courvercle hut, mer de glacé

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Peteo99 07 Aug 2013
Am heading to chamonix next week and me and my wife were hoping to hike to the courvercle hut via the mer de glacé, we are happy with the scrambling/ via Ferrata part but were wondering how difficult the hike across the glacier is and whether route finding is particularly difficult. We have crampons/ axes ropes etc... Any info appreciated
 MG 07 Aug 2013
In reply to Peteo99: Pretty straightforward but it will involve various detours and jumps over crevasses. There is (was?) a large barrel indicating where to leave the glacier and then orange blobs on the moraine leading to the approach ladders. These are steep.
 JohnV 07 Aug 2013
In reply to Peteo99:

The glacier is flat yet still crevassed, many people walk on the ice unroped however it may be wise to put the rope on and know how to rescue each other, especially if there is still snow on it hiding possible slots. You might already have the rope out for the descent down the ladders onto the Mer De Glace anyway. Walk in a long gentle diagonal from the left bank of the glacier into the middle, then to the right bank of the glacier, over the course of a few km. No route finding difficulties but you may find yourself weaving around to negotiate crevassed areas. It is large, flat and straightforward.

You'll need to look out for large painted white squares on the rock walls on the left as you're walking up the glacier which mark where the ladders start. The ladders are steep and long and easily protectable with those pigs tail bolts here and there. Packing light will be especially beneficial here. It is a surprisingly long way from the train to the hut, guidebook time 3.5 hours.
 Kirill 07 Aug 2013
In reply to Peteo99:

Walk across glacier is not difficult and route finding is obvious. The ladders are easy to spot by the huge red square painted on the slabs. Not sure what you refer to as via ferrata. There's no cable running along the ladders, so you won't be able to use via Ferrata kit if that's what you were thinking. Although it is possible to pitch it of course, but that would require bringing quickdraws. The quickest way is just to climb it unroped with the cows tail at the ready in case you want to clip for a rest.
 Chris Sansum 07 Aug 2013
In reply to Peteo99:

Routefinding is easy enough, except when the mist is in. Then it becomes interesting (a GPS would have come in useful)!
 Tyler 07 Aug 2013
In reply to Peteo99:

Leaving the the Mer de Glce for the Leschaux was a ball ache last summer and I'd advise staying on the left bank (facing upstream) of the MdG adn turnign on to the Leschaux as early as poss (didn't see any markings). I found the ladders terrifying, they are steep (at least vertical but feel worse with a heavy pack) and long.
 Harry Ellis 07 Aug 2013
In reply to Peteo99: the ladders are steep and i used two cowstails to stay clipped at all times on the steepest parts. I used slings but vf lanyards would be safer - you just clip to the rungs of the laddera. Helmets are a must too as it is busy and stuff could get dropped or dislodged. Also try and leave early it is a futnace in the heat of the day.
The meltw*ter on the mdg was the biggest obstacle but it was earky season. The big stream dissappears under the surface a short way after you start.
It is a fantastic spot to visit and feels like a real acheivement jusy being there gawping at the grandes jorasses
Enjoy
 Fredt 07 Aug 2013
In reply to Peteo99:

I'd like to emphasise that if you are using cows tails for a rest or whatever, you should only use them on the ladder rungs, or where they will not slide down. A lot of those ladders do have vertical handrails or cables, which were only intended to be handrails, for assistance, not protection. You should only ever clip to these with a Via-Ferrata Lanyard.
Other shock absorbing systems are available.
In reply to Peteo99: So, are the ladders marked with RED squares or WHITE squares?
 Kirill 07 Aug 2013
In reply to unclesamsauntibess:

I had it in my head that it was red, but I am not sure now.
OP Peteo99 07 Aug 2013
In reply to Peteo99: cheers for all the info guys, really useful. Fingers crossed for good weather!!
 veteye 07 Aug 2013
In reply to Peteo99:
The Couvercle hut is a lovely place to be, and a few years ago, I had the best meal that I had had all summer there-a big and filling omelette.
There are some quite nice bolted one pitch routes in the vicinity too.
 chris bedford 08 Aug 2013
In reply to Kirill:
Pretty sure it's a white square that shows the ladders for returning to Montenvers (huge - you can see it almost as soon as you get down the Couvercle ladders). Couvercle ladders I think are the red square - not so easy to see against the red/brown granite.....
 monsteratt 10 Aug 2013
In reply to Peteo99: We were on the Mer de Glace a week or so ago and there was very little snow on it. We were able to walk in just boots for part of it, but did end up putting crampons on for some.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...