UKC

Another one for the bike mechanics

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 itsThere 07 Aug 2013
So after removing my rear shock and cleaning all the crap that builds up, I noticed that it is no longer sat in the middle of the bushings. It has moved about 0.5-1mm at each end. Maybe a little bit more. The frame end has moved one way and the swing arm the other way.

Any idea what could have caused this and if it could be a problem.
 balmybaldwin 07 Aug 2013
In reply to itsThere:

I would inspect your pivot points and bearings, it sounds like there must be some play in them.

I had a problem a while back where the bearing housing had come away from the frame - was fixed under warranty (basically glued back in.
OP itsThere 07 Aug 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin: There is no play in them, i have extra (bigger) washers on one of the pivot points to stop any play. I cant feel anything when I ride it or when there is no shock in the frame.
 balmybaldwin 07 Aug 2013
In reply to itsThere:

Is it the bigger washers that hve changed its position?
 DaveHK 08 Aug 2013
In reply to itsThere:

Is it not just wear in the bushings (or should it be bushes?)? If so they can be knocked out and replaced.
 Frank4short 08 Aug 2013
In reply to itsThere: If what you mean is that it's out alignment. Then it was probably built like that. A certain amount of misalignment is generally tolerated so long as it can easily be pulled back in.

Out of interest what's the frame? May help clarify matters more.
OP itsThere 08 Aug 2013
The bigger washers were to prevent movement in one of the mounts (they work), so it clamps it more in place.

The shock is new, had it for a year and a half, the bushings have moved in oposite directions.

The frame is a 03 orange sub 5. Its not out of alignement unless my frame is, i have checked it a few times and it(the shock) has moved over time. I will have a look at my frame later today.

I will also check they have not worn on one side, although i doubt this.
 Frank4short 08 Aug 2013
In reply to itsThere: If the bushings are wearing more on one side over the other it means it's definitely an alignment issue.
OP itsThere 08 Aug 2013
In reply to Frank4short: It looks like the shock has moved in the bushings

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...