UKC

Black dot - Lancashire rock guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goose299 07 Aug 2013
'Not in this life' at Anglezarke quarry has a black dot next to it (where stars are usually given)

Can anyone tell me what this signifies? Have looked in the guide but can't find any mention of it
 Enty 07 Aug 2013
In reply to goose299:

The dreaded black spot - which is used to indicate climbs where the rock is particularly loose or unstable.

E
 Al Evans 07 Aug 2013
In reply to Enty: It's mentioned on page 20 under 'Other Route Information'.
OP goose299 07 Aug 2013
In reply to goose299:
Cheers guys. And al, I mustn't have looked hard enough. Thank god for ukc
 GOD 07 Aug 2013
In reply to goose299:
> (In reply to goose299)
> Cheers guys. And al, I mustn't have looked hard enough. Thank god for ukc

Your welcome.
G
 Enty 07 Aug 2013
In reply to goose299:

Not to be confused with the dreaded "dagger".

E
OP goose299 07 Aug 2013
In reply to GOD:
HA HA epic
 DaveN 07 Aug 2013
In reply to GOD:
> (In reply to goose299)
> [...]
>
> Your welcome.
> G

I'm going to await the first pedant who tries to question divine infallibility.
In reply to goose299:

The Black Spot - signifies a route of such awfulness its presence in the guidebook is only there to warn potential new routers away from its environs should they otherwise think there's a "gap" between two routes.

On an historical note: the black spot was used as it's the nearest symbol to the shape of Almscliff that is found in old typeset.

ALC

Mick Ward 07 Aug 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber:

> On an historical note: the black spot was used as it's the nearest symbol to the shape of Almscliff that is found in old typeset.

Almscliffe, hmm... what can we say? 'The moves are so easy; it's just making them that's so hard.'

Mick
 Bulls Crack 07 Aug 2013
In reply to goose299:

It was a printing error and was meant to appear next to all Lancashire routes.
 Calder 07 Aug 2013
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to goose299)
>
> It was a printing error and was meant to appear next to all Lancashire routes.

Oi! Many of the 1 and 2 star routes in Lancashire would get 3 stars at Gogarth.
 Enty 07 Aug 2013
In reply to Calder:
> (In reply to Bulls Crack)
> [...]
>
> Oi! Many of the 1 and 2 star routes in Lancashire would get 3 stars at Gogarth.

4 stars in The Peak.

E
 Calder 07 Aug 2013
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to Calder)
> [...]
>
> 4 stars in The Peak.
>
> E

Damn straight.
 Al Evans 08 Aug 2013
In reply to Calder:
> (In reply to Bulls Crack)
> [...]
>
> Oi! Many of the 1 and 2 star routes in Lancashire would get 3 stars at Gogarth.

But no stars at Horseshoe Quarry
 BlownAway 08 Aug 2013
> (In reply to goose299)

> On an historical note: the black spot was used as it's the nearest symbol to the shape of Almscliff that is found in old typeset.

On a slightly more true historical note, the black spot was used because when I asked the printers for skull and crossbones, they couldn't do it.

Phil
OP goose299 08 Aug 2013
In reply to goose299:
Going slightly off tangent, has anyone got a copy of both 'the brick' and the new 'slimmed' down version of Lancashire rock.
I'd love to see a picture showing the difference in size. I think the new slim version is still rather hefty so imagine the brick to be huuuuge
 ByEek 08 Aug 2013
In reply to goose299: The Lancashire Brick is about half as thick again and a bit bigger than the original On Peak Rock.
OP goose299 08 Aug 2013
In reply to ByEek:
I've never seen a copy of On Peak Rock either
 Bulls Crack 08 Aug 2013
In reply to ByEek:
> (In reply to goose299) The Lancashire Brick is about half as thick again and a bit bigger than the original On Peak Rock.

And has its own bouldering
 Al Evans 08 Aug 2013
In reply to goose299: I've posted a picture as soon as the mods ok it I'll post on here.
OP goose299 08 Aug 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
Cheers
 Simon Caldwell 08 Aug 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
done
OP goose299 08 Aug 2013
In reply to Toreador:
Bloody hell!! You'd need to employ a sherpa to carry it for you
 Al Evans 08 Aug 2013
 Al Evans 08 Aug 2013
In reply to Toreador: Actually Toreador, that has to be a record for the photo mods
 Mick Ward 08 Aug 2013
In reply to BlownAway:

> ...the black spot was used because when I asked the printers for skull and crossbones, they couldn't do it.

Great idea, Phil. What a pity they couldn't do it. A black spot is good - but a skull and crossbones would be far better (and somehow strangely enticing)!

Mick

Al Evans 08 Aug 2013
In reply to BlownAway: The black spot is a historical concept, first time I ever heard it mentioned was by Les Ainsworth at a Lancs guide meeting in the early 70's (or late 60s), who proposed a whole set of black blobs just like the star system, it was several years before his futuristic vision came about, though we had some good debates what routes should get black blobs and how many . I think one of my routes, Hari Kiri at Trowbarrow won that particular debate being awarded 3+ black blobs
 Simon Caldwell 08 Aug 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
i just happened to read this thread at the right time and popped over to the photo mod page
 BlownAway 08 Aug 2013
In reply to Al Evans and Mick Ward:

Hi Al

Did Les actually use the black spot? I thought he hadn't, although Kari Kiri would certainly warrant one! I remember looking at it with Cronners, shaking our heads and walking away.

We definitely introduced the dagger symbols into Lancashire I think; mainly for the harder unrepeated routes (I suppose they were kind of a status symbol in a way) but also for those of a 'dubious' nature as well.

Hi Mick

It was more a "wouldn't" actually. They thought the skull and crossbones idea to be a tad too avante garde for the times.

Phil
In reply to BlownAway:

Just checked my guides: the 1979 and 1983 editions don't have a black spot for Hari Kiri and the brick doesn't describe the route at all but there are three routes in that area with a black spot next to their name. I don't have the 1987 edition.

There's no mention in the two earlier guides about a black spot, only in the brick.

ALC
 BlownAway 08 Aug 2013
> (In reply to Phil Kelly)

> There's no mention in the two earlier guides about a black spot, only in the brick.

There is in the 87(?) guide.

Al Evans 08 Aug 2013
In reply to BlownAway: Yes and Hari Kiri is in there with a resounding black spot. With a very humorous description I may add

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...