UKC

How "sitting" is a "sitting start"?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tmawer 08 Aug 2013
I don't do much bouldering, but at my nearest good venue, the Mungrisdale boulders, there are a lot of "sitting starts". Do these involve having all your weight on your bum, just a bit, or hovering with your bum a shortish distance off the floor? Also, are you to have both feet off the floor and on the actual boulder you are climbing (rather than a smaller boulder underneath the overhanging start of the one you are grappling with) with your bum suitably weighted on the ground. I know it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things....just wondering how poor I really am at bouldering (very) and how much room for manouvre there is
In reply to tmawer:

Depends. Is this Mungrisdale of which you speak in France?

jcm
 mattrm 08 Aug 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> (In reply to tmawer)
>
> Depends. Is this Mungrisdale of which you speak in France?
>

Carrock Fell in the Lakes. I'd say your arse should be fully on the floor. Might get a bit damp at Mungrisdale however...
 Harry Holmes 08 Aug 2013
In reply to tmawer: you sit on the floor, like you would if you were just sitting on the floor. Your arse should be the last thing to leave the ground. In respect to using smaller jammed blocks beneath the main boulder that depends on the problem. Do what you think is right if it doesn't say though.
mgco3 08 Aug 2013
In reply to tmawer:

If you can't pull a rizla paper from underneath yer cheeks then you are sitting viz a viz a sitting start
OP tmawer 08 Aug 2013
In reply to naffan:
"Your arse should be the last thing to leave the ground"

I think you have it there! In which case I am failing miserably on some of these problems and will await somebody with more talent, longer arms, bendier legs and/or a lighter arse to show me the way!
 Aigen 08 Aug 2013
In reply to tmawer: a sit start is when your bum is the last thing to leave the ground.
In reply to Aigen:
> (In reply to tmawer) a sit start is when your bum is the last thing to leave the ground.

unless the first holds are further away from the ground than the length from buttcheek to fingertips.

ripper 08 Aug 2013
In reply to tmawer: ass on the grass...
otherwise it'd be called a 'crouch start', or summat.
If it's wet, sit on the square of carpet you surely have in the bottom of your sack for wiping feet on. So long as the carpet's not too thick mind, or that'd be cheating.
 Niall 08 Aug 2013
In reply to ripper:

Underlay, or not?
 Carolyn 08 Aug 2013
In reply to ripper:

Does sitting on a stack of 3 bouldering mats not count, then?
 Steve nevers 08 Aug 2013
In reply to Carolyn:

Surely start on none, and get your spotter to sling them under your arse after you make the first few moves?

But at OP, I'd say a sit start is arse on the floor most of the time, or just hovering above it on some problems. Generally you'd lift your arse up as you 'pull on' to the problem anyhow.
 hoodmonkey 10 Aug 2013
In reply to Steve nevers:

In some cases you may not be able to reach the starting holds from sitting, in which case hanging from the starting holds statically, with both feet on the bloc will generally entail movement of the same difficulty to reach the next holds.
 Muel 10 Aug 2013
In reply to tmawer:

Start sitting down. But who cares if you're sitting on the floor or a mat?
 timjones 10 Aug 2013
In reply to tmawer:

The wise man stands up before he starts climbing
 Andrew Wilson 10 Aug 2013
In reply to timjones:
 Niall 10 Aug 2013
In reply to timjones:
> (In reply to tmawer)
>
> The wise man stands up before he starts climbing

The wise man does proper climbing instead. You know, with ropes and stuff.

*retires to a safe distance having lit the blue touchpaper*

:-D
 hoodmonkey 10 Aug 2013
In reply to Niall:

Grey yawnpaper more like
 Niall 10 Aug 2013
In reply to hoodmonkey:
> (In reply to Niall)
>
> Grey yawnpaper more like

Ah well, it was worth a try. *bored*
In reply to tmawer: you really need to get out more............
OP tmawer 11 Aug 2013
In reply to unclesamsauntibess:

Says the man posting on here on a summers afternoon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...