UKC

Kerbal Space Program

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d_b 09 Aug 2013
Has anyone else been attacked by this vicious time vampire?

I have landed on the mun & minmus, and am now building a dirty great nuclear spaceship in orbit to attempt a landing on Eve.

Pictures may follow...

For the uninitiated there is a demo here: https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/
 SteveoS 09 Aug 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

I bought it at uni after exams and was asked by several housemates "You paid for that s***?" After a short demonstration I got asked "Can I play after him please?" on a daily basis.

I highly recommend Scott Manley's youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/szyzyg for being educational, interesting and amusing.

OP d_b 09 Aug 2013
In reply to SteveoS:

I have been watching his channel for tips & inspiration but I don't think I can compete with his sheer time investment

stewieatb 09 Aug 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

Faster Than Light is a similar cheap-but-fun spacey exploration game. Sadly I'm terrible at it.
OP d_b 09 Aug 2013
In reply to stewieatb:

I tried that. Nice game, but completely different.
 jonny taylor 09 Aug 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:
Duna and even Eeloo are not too bad to get to once you have the knack of interplanetary travel. If you want to step things up a notch, see about one of the smaller moons of Jool...
 Mikkel 10 Aug 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

Just playing with this now, and blimey it seems complicated to start with.
Just getting the hang of what parts fit together seems like it could take a while :0)
OP d_b 12 Aug 2013
In reply to jonny taylor:

I popped a frame in orbit, and am docking nuclear tugs to one side of it. The plan is to put a lander on the other side and fly off somewhere...

Unfortunately I'm already designing the next model, which will have 1 nuke engine & just take dockable fuel tanks.
OP d_b 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Mikkel:

The keys are to use symmetry, spend ages fiddling with staging order and use an "advanced SAS module".
 richprideaux 12 Aug 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

I downloaded the Ares V pack from somewhere... I now have far too much power to play around with - an Ares SRB can take small stuff into high orbit on it's own!
OP d_b 12 Aug 2013
In reply to richprideaux:

Bah! I bet you use mechjeb as well!
 richprideaux 12 Aug 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

Not yet... The other half isn't happy with the number of astrokerbals I have sacrificed in the name of exploration either.
OP d_b 12 Aug 2013
In reply to richprideaux:

I have been debugging my boosters with unmanned probes since I got the full versions and kerbals no longer reincarnate. I need to keep Jeb alive to plant the flags!
OP d_b 15 Aug 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

After far too much time I have a lander & 2 kerbals in orbit around Ike, moon of Duna. One of them is Jebediah, obviously.
 Mikkel 26 Aug 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

I now have a Station in orbit, and keep adding to it.
Currently got a a SSTO plane docked up there and fully refueld, ought to go a bith further, and get a rocket + lander assembled.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...