UKC

moorland closures Yorkshire 2013 where can I find the dates

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Phil Ev 09 Aug 2013
Hello

Can anyone inform me how I find the moorland closure dates for Yorkshire for this years grouse shooting(budgie bothering)season?

The estates must announce the dates for closures 28 days in advance as part of the Crow act but I can't find anywhere that makes the dates public and I remember having this problem before.

Can't find them on the .gov site or Yorkshire dales park authority site.

I want to go up to Great Wolfery on Sunday but as its the day before the 'glorious' 12th and the game keepers have a reputation for lack of any respect for the Crow act I'd like to know that I'm in the right if challenged.

Thanks

Phil
 upordown 09 Aug 2013
In reply to Phil Ev:

Apparently if you fill this form in it should list closure dates. Can't say I've ever used it though:

http://www.openaccess.naturalengland.org.uk/wps/portal/oasys/maps/MapSearch
 Simon Caldwell 10 Aug 2013
In reply to Phil Ev:
Even in shooting season there is never any on a Sunday (it's illegal in England). The Open Access site as already linked shows closure dates for most places. But (unless it's changed very recently) doesn't include the Barden estate, on the strange basis that there was an access agreement pre-CROW and so this agreement therefore supersedes open access. You can see closure dates for these areas at http://www.boltonabbey.com/whattodo/walking.htm
Phil Ev 10 Aug 2013
Great, thanks for the good advice.

Phil
 JDal 10 Aug 2013
In reply to Toreador:
> (In reply to Phil Ev)
> Even in shooting season there is never any on a Sunday (it's illegal in England). ...

To be precise, no closures are allowed for Sundays between 1st June and 30th Sept. Oct-May the landowner is allowed to close for up to 4 weekend days. Saturdays it's 1st June - 11th August (I wonder what happens on the 12th?)

I just mention this in case someone rolls up to a moorland crag on a closed Sunday in May (eg Simonside) and decides to argue with a gamekeeper.
 Simon Caldwell 10 Aug 2013
In reply to JDal:
True, I wasn't saying there could never be any closures on Sundays, but that they couldn't be any shooting. Since they don't want to waste their closure days, that in effect means none on Sundays during shooting season.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...