UKC

fixing my beastmaker to a wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Puppythedog 10 Aug 2013
I'v just bought a Beastmaker 1000 to go up in our new house in Essex. We rent but are okay to [ut stuff up, that said I don't wan't to rip half a wall off because of my crap DIY skills.
The wall between the Kitchen and the lounge/diner seems the best place, the wall does not seem to be simply plasterboard and feels/sounds more sturdy when I hit it with my knuckles.
Problem is my DIY skills are limited and I am nervous about fixing something that needs to take my bodyweight and I don't know for sure how to do it.

is it simply rawl plugs into the wall? if so, I'll need to buy some longer screws for the thicker part of the beastmaker and in that case which colour rawl plugs and size screws should I get?

All advice greatly appreciated.

Adam15 10 Aug 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

I made a frame for mine and mounted in a door way so it doesn't affect the wall and can be removed leaving no trace it was there. You might want to consider this as its a rented property in case it does damage the wall
 Mutl3y 10 Aug 2013
In reply to puppythedog: I screwed mine onto a board and used expansion bolts to fix it to the brickwork properly. Definitely not a screw and raw plugs job.
 NorthernGrit 10 Aug 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

"the wall does not seem to be simply plasterboard"

You need to know what sort of wall it is - not what it isn't. Until then all advice will be speculative.
OP Puppythedog 10 Aug 2013
In reply to puppythedog: Thank you all for your responses so far.
 colin8ll 10 Aug 2013
In reply to puppythedog: I put mine up in the way you describe: rawl plugs into the wall and then screwed the beastmaker into these. Btw the screws that came with mine are different lengths so I had thicker ones for the thicker part of the board.

The problem is my wall is crap! I new this when I was tapping on it and it was confirmed when it was very easy to drill into. It holds up okay but I'm going to remount it. Here's what I'll do...

I'll borrow a stud finder and try and see if there are any solid bits of wood in the wall which I could screw into. I'll then screw a piece of 12mm plywood to the wall, screwing either into the wooden battens behind the wall or just going for loads of screws to spread the load. I'll then screw the beast maker to the ply. I plan to add a couple of campus rungs above the beastmaker which will be easy to do with the ply in place.

Hope this helps.
 Ben07 10 Aug 2013
In reply to puppythedog: if its a solid wall i would fix a piece of inch thick ply or similar to the wall with brown plugs and 3" 10's screws, 6 will be plenty. then fix ya beast maker to that.
 Ben07 10 Aug 2013
In reply to Ben07:use a 6.5mm drill bit so plugs fit really tight.
In reply to Ben07: Thank you this was very helpful. I think I'll go for that.
In reply to colin8ll: Thank you very much. makes a lot of sense.
In reply to SteveoS: Thank you, I have read this page. I found it rather ambiguous in its advice so was looking for some advice from experience here.
OP Puppythedog 30 Aug 2013
In reply to puppythedog:
Fixed it up now, I got a bit scared putting it up because what seemed like it might be masonry was in fact just plaster then a little bit of brick for some of the holes, some of the wholes drilled into wood some just plaster.

So how I did it (and it seems to be working in that it hasn't pulled the wall down).

piece of ply wood, 30cm/75cm,/2.5cm .
Five holes across the top and the bottom of the plywood and a whole in the outer middle of the board either side. These used for screwing into corresponding brown rawlplugs (12 in total) then beastmaker screwed onto that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...