UKC

What age have you got your children climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 VPJB 12 Aug 2013
At what age have people got their children climbing either indoors or outdoors? What harness have you used? Can you get small kids climbing helmets?
Gone for good 12 Aug 2013
In reply to VPJB: The boys first rock climb was aged 8 on Tryfan Bach. The yougest daughters first indoor climb was aged 5 and outdoor aged 6 (Birchen Edge). I took my oldest daughter whos nearly 25 to North Wales a couple of Weeks ago and she climbed Arete and Slab on Bochlywd Buttress and Delta on the Alphablet slabs. Form e the earlier the better, kids love climbing.
 Andy Say 12 Aug 2013
In reply to VPJB:
Age 5. Petzl Ouistiti. And Petzl Elios helmets fitted them OK. DMM to a specific kids helmet I think but in my experience you need a squareish head for them to fit well!
 AG 12 Aug 2013
In reply to VPJB: I took mine along when he was about 3....he used to last about 20mins or so indoors. Now he's 5 he's been to arco and around lecco and does the about 2 or 3 routes and then plays the kindle for a while.(great for us!)
Petzl make a full body kids harness and he has a kids camp helmet. Got cheap climbing shoes from decathlon.
 hdog76 12 Aug 2013
In reply to VPJB:

Ive climbed with mine indoors and out since around 3, full body harness fit smaller than you think depending on torso length.

Indoor bouldering I found taking little toys (kinder toys) to place on holds which they found a great game enabling longer traverses, and temptation to climb a bit higher.(not my own idea saw alady doing it with her daughter great idea)

I prefer indoor bouldering with mine less faff with ropes and harness, builds confidence and they have lots of fun.

Outdoor slabs are really good for top rope climbing.
 Gavin 12 Aug 2013
In reply to hdog76:

I have had my son climbing at 3 (he was nearly 4).

I am reguarly taking 6yo+ climbing and have used a lot of kit over the years but found the DMM Tom Kitten harness and smallest sized Wild Country 360 helmets to be a really good combination for young people.

Gavin
 marsbar 12 Aug 2013
In reply to VPJB: My niece started at 3. Agree about the Tom kitten being a good harness. She just wore normal kids trainers. She has a little helmet, but I can't remember the make.
 Bluebird 12 Aug 2013
In reply to VPJB: my kids both got on OK with size 1 helmets - aged 5 and 8. - there's a good range of adjustment nowadays.
 Carolyn 12 Aug 2013
In reply to VPJB:

Outdoor bouldering - before they could walk

Roped climbing - they were interested from about 5 (smaller one now 4.5 and beginning to be interested). At 7 (and a friend's kid at 6) big one is looking very composed on the rock, calmly making his way up easy short routes. Indoor - fairly similar, generally need a bit of reach to enjoy it.

Oh, and you might not consider it climbing, but they both loved Clip n Climb a couple of weeks ago

Harnesses - yes, we Rock Empire Apache, as the Petzl one didn't used to go small enough. But the ones Clip n Climb had were a different (new, I assume) design with adjustable leg loops that was fine. Helmets, Grivel used to do a kids Salamander that mine liked as they were the same as the helmets the rescue team had at the time!
 Giles Davis 12 Aug 2013
In reply to VPJB:

8 Vince, up Stannage was her first climbing.

How was North Wales?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...