UKC

'5 move boulder problem'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnV 12 Aug 2013
If a boulder problem or sport route crux is described as having x many moves, does this refer to any movement of hands and feet, just moves for hands and are small but necessary readjustments included in the total?
 remus Global Crag Moderator 12 Aug 2013
In reply to JohnV: There's no sensible definition of a move. If it says it's 5 moves that's just a rough guess.
 The Pylon King 12 Aug 2013
In reply to JohnV:

I am pretty sure it includes any movement of the eyes as well.
Gone for good 12 Aug 2013
In reply to The Pylon King:
> (In reply to JohnV)
>
> I am pretty sure it includes any movement of the eyes as well.
Brilliant!

Scrump 12 Aug 2013
Or Bowel.
 Franco Cookson 12 Aug 2013
In reply to JohnV:

'A move' is the transition between positions on the rock. Imagine a body stable on the rock, then imagine the next place it can be stable on the rock. All the space between these two points is a move. The perfect route theoretically would be one that had no such positions of stability - thus only one monumental single move.
 stewieatb 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Franco Cookson:
> (In reply to JohnV)
>
> The perfect route theoretically would be one that had no such positions of stability - thus only one monumental single move.

Eh?
 stewieatb 13 Aug 2013
> (In reply to JohnV)
>
> All the space between these two points is a move. The perfect route theoretically would be one that had no such positions of stability - thus only one monumental single move.

Okay, to elaborate on my comment above; I think you're confusing 'move' and 'sequence'.

Certainly, a route which consisted entirely of movement between unstable positions, which had no rest points, would be very difficult (I wouldn't call it perfect per se), but I would say it was one long sequence, not one move.

It might be better to define a move is the bit between two metastable* positions, and use your definition as that of a sequence.

This doesn't really provide a useful definition of a move, but as there are so many different kinds of move to make, can we really come up with one?

*By metastable, I mean a position which is stable temporarily, but uses too much static muscle power or puts the body in too strange a position to be a useful rest - you must move on, or you will get tired and fall off.
 The Pylon King 17 Aug 2013
> (In reply to JohnV)
>
> The perfect route theoretically would be one that had no such positions of stability - thus only one monumental single move.

This is the sort of stuff that Dawes does.
 Arms Cliff 17 Aug 2013
> (In reply to Franco Cookson)
> [...]
>
> This is the sort of stuff that Dawes does.

It's certainly the sort of stuff he talks about...
 Offwidth 18 Aug 2013
In reply to Arms Cliff:

Until you show him how?
In reply to JohnV: Moves but refures to hand movement. But may change if people use differnt beta. Foot movements arn't usually mentioned.
 Timmd 22 Aug 2013
In reply to stewieatb:
> (In reply to Franco Cookson)
> [...]
>
> Eh?

I think he means where you can't settle and need to keep moving, in a dynamically upwards sort of way?

I guess they'd need to be certain kinds of moves.
 Quarryboy 22 Aug 2013
In reply to Beastly Squirrel:
I've done routes where the crux is a foot move though.
 jkarran 22 Aug 2013
In reply to JohnV:

There's no standard, the best bet is to ask.

Most folk seem to refer to hand moves from one hold the next which can be quite a good description of the effort required or spectacularly poor.

jk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...