UKC

Kamchatka

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rourke 13 Aug 2013
After asking about this at the end of last year (sorry it doesn't seem to let me reply to the original thread)...

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=532479&v=1#x7153275

I went to Kamchatka last month

Absolutely stunning place, in terms of climbing not technical at all but I guess that is a function of how volcanoes are formed, some great days out and the volcanoes are very varied.

Would highly recommend a trip to anyone thinking of that part of the world or looking for a bit something different. I think the logistics, right from visa to transport and driving are quite difficult to organise without a local agent though

I have put a few pics on my photo gallery if anyone is interested and have many more

Only downside (apart from mosquitoes) was that I didn't see any bears
 Arbu 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Rourke: Did you just use a local agent to organise it? If so, who?
 Scomuir 13 Aug 2013
In reply to Rourke:
Very, very jealous. Always wanted to go there, particularly as the ski mountaineering looks superb.

A former colleague of mine had the opportunity to go on a guided trip skiing on the volcanoes for not a lot of money (relatively speaking). I did everything I could to persuade him to go, pointing out that it would be the trip of a lifetime, but in the end, his wife talked him out of it as she wanted a new kitchen! I was so disgusted, I told him he'll not look back from his deathbed with contentment about that decision. I then discovered he owned a caravan, so it's not surprising he didn't go.
OP Rourke 14 Aug 2013
In reply to Arbu:

Yes, I did use a local agent. There were called The Lost World and seemed pretty decent

http://www.travelkamchatka.com/

The Ski mountaineering is supposed to be excellent there so shame that never came off
abseil 14 Aug 2013
In reply to Rourke:
>I have put a few pics on my photo gallery...

Thanks, they're great, I especially liked "Summit view on Avachinsky". [I liked the one looking down the NE ridge of Everest a lot too].

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...