UKC

talk me into or out of the hilleberg Allak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 franksnb 14 Aug 2013
http://hilleberg.se/product/allak

anyone own one? any thoughts? our camping need are as follows..

We live in scotland and camp year round.
free standing is a must for beaches and bogs!
occasionally we will do a multi-day walk, the allak is at the top end of weight i can put up with.
about an even balance of staying on a camp sites and wild camping.

we already have a lightweight tent (1.1kg) but it is single skinned and cramped with no storage space. I would suffer it for longer walks gr20 etc..

£750 is a lot of money but I think I have a tent fetish soo..

cheers
In reply to franksnb: Looks lovely but of course you could get a very decent 2-person tent for far less and still have spare change for a good car camping model too. Two for the price of one. Wouldn't that tickle your fetish even more?
 DaveHall246 14 Aug 2013
In reply to franksnb:
No direct experience of an allak, but we've got a Nammatj 3 GT and the quality of the materials and workmanship and attention to detail is brilliant.
OP franksnb 14 Aug 2013
In reply to franksnb: we rarely stay in a pay campsite for more than 2 night. a big 'car camping' tent takes longer to pack up, so although slightly more comfortable, it's less convenient if we move campsites 3 times in a week. although 2 tents is exciting my ardour..

excuse me for a minute
 Jimbob11 14 Aug 2013
In reply to franksnb: No experience in one but a friend had his up and I spent five days working with him and eyeing it up talking myself into one. Not sure of model but Christ as tents go then they are the formula one models! Beautiful strong construction and the attention to detail is phenomenal.
trollman 14 Aug 2013
In reply to franksnb: hi
I have owned one for a few years, yes it will fit your needs, just make sure you see one in
the flesh to see the internal sleeping space, I tend to use mine solo in winter as i like
lots of space for the long nights, its a great design as you don't have to peg out in calm weather as you know. I find it easy to put up as long as you have tied up guy lines when
packing away or you will get in a big tangle
T
 The Lemming 14 Aug 2013
In reply to franksnb:

£750 for a two-man tent, and you want a reason not to buy it?

I can think of seven hundred and fifty reasons not to.
 Rik Payne 15 Aug 2013
In reply to franksnb: I have a Hilleberg Nallo 2 and couldn't recommend Hilleberg enough. The materials are worth every penny you pay for them, and the attention to detail on their designs are superb.
needvert 15 Aug 2013
In reply to franksnb:

I have two hillebergs. I like them, wouldn't change my choice. Damn expensive...But its about 4 nights worth in nice hotel here, which I wouldn't think twice about.
 Merlin 15 Aug 2013
In reply to franksnb:

Be aware, to keep the weight of the tent down, Hilleberg make the ground sheets very thin (thick cling film!), so you may want to consider buying a footprint with it.
OP franksnb 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Merlin: hmm, I didn't know that.
TOS 15 Aug 2013
In reply to franksnb:
>
> £750 is a lot of money but I think I have a tent fetish soo..

My tip (assuming they still do this) is to go to a Tiso 'club night'; there is 20 or 25% off on one of these nights.
I bought my Soulo this way, still expensive after the discount, but worth it and easier to justify.

I have two Hilleberg tents and my next will be one too. I'd never heard of the brand before, but as getting to speak to someone at Terra Nova was mission impossible, I had to look at other options for my expedition tent - Hilleberg was suggested to me and what a blessing that turned out to be.

To quote the link you posted about the Allak; "in other words, an ultralight Staika."
The Staika is suitable for 8000m use - that should give you an idea of what sort of tent you're buying.
 Jon Wickham 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Merlin: I wouldn't call their ground sheets 'thick cling film'. In fact I would say that they are more thicker than many of their competitors.

Franksnb: I would definitely take a look at one in the flesh before purchasing, just so you know you're making the right decision.
 Pritchard 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Jon Wickham:

You can see it in the flesh at Tiso in Perth. I too was deciding between the Allak and the Nallo 3 GT (both are at Perth and they are happy to let you put them up).

Went for the Nallo in the end, much more space, can sleep 3 (it's more a roomy two though to be honest) and lighter. The only downside is the none free standing, I find a few rocks if the ground is soft. What ultimately put me off the Allak was the side porches aren't particularly big and taper off. In winter with large packs and pointy things I much prefere the VERY large porch of the Nallo GT over the Allak split porch.

Happy shopping.

Craig.
 Gav M 15 Aug 2013
In reply to franksnb:

It looks a lovely tent. Doubt you'd regret buying one of you camp a lot. I have a Jannu which is also worth considering, a good deal lighter than the Allak I think and more or less free-standing. It's a big 2 man - plenty big enough for 2 adults and a 3 year old.

However the comments above about Hilleberg groundsheets are fair. In the Jannu the underside of my mat is occasionally very slightly damp - not sure whether this is from condensation or from water coming through the groundsheet.

steveej 15 Aug 2013
In reply to franksnb: personally think Hillebergs are completely overated for the price.

£750 for a cramped 2 person tent that may not even stand a proper storm?
 steveej 15 Aug 2013
In reply to steveej: just back from Alaska, in a VE25. The other two had a three man Hilleberg tunnel tent of some sort with an extended porch.

Harder to pitch, much more succpetable to side winds, the same weight, much lower roof. Nice materials but Not all theyre made out to be.
 Gav M 16 Aug 2013
In reply to steveej:

> £750 for a cramped 2 person tent

I have to agree that the cost of Hilleberg tents has become unjustifiable in recent years. A few years ago the euro exchange was more favourable and there was one particular shop in the lakes that sold them for much less than anyone else. They aren't in business anymore, funny that...........

nufkin 16 Aug 2013
In reply to Gav M:

> underside of my mat is occasionally very slightly damp - not sure whether this is from condensation or from water coming through the groundsheet.

I've had this happen - always a bit worrying, but I put it down to moisture in the air trapped by the mat condensing against cold ground
 Alex Slipchuk 16 Aug 2013
In reply to franksnb: I have a soulo, great design and attention to detail not found on many other tents. I don't think outer first can ever be as strong as inner first geodesic. But ideal for wet midge infested (Scotland) changable weather. In saying that I've only ever got damp in an original wild country voyager due to worn groundsheet (tent is over 20 years old) I also have akto (possibly up for sale if right offer) and an ortek jetstream 2 (also possibly up for sale, again if right offer). Why would I sell? To put the money towards a larger hilleberg to take both my girls wild camping, and allow me to be the packhorse.

Does that answer your question. Ps, most lighter tents have crappier pegs, poles and a groundsheet that requires a footprint to make it reliable.
 TeeBee 16 Aug 2013
In reply to franksnb:

Not sure if this highlights the quality of Hillebergs or not, but on my ML assessment the three of us being tested all - without prior contact - turned up with Aktos.
All a bit embarrassing, yet reassuring at the same time.

Especially when the expedition assessor then turned up with a Soulo. Our little camping valley looked like a Hilleberg photoshoot.
 misterb 16 Aug 2013
In reply to franksnb:
Regarding the groundsheet conversation, i had an akto for 5 years and it was the only tent that i have ever owned that i never had a problem with dampness coming through the groundsheet.
It also looked pretty much brand new after 100 ish nights of use when i sold it to my mate.
Quality !
OP franksnb 05 Sep 2013
In reply to franksnb: well we got a big ol' outwell steel pole family style tent. and with the money left I'm going to get a light weight 2 person maybe

http://www.elitemountainsupplies.co.uk/product/1405_nordisk-telemark-2-lw-9...

950g !
 CarolineMc 05 Sep 2013
In reply to franksnb: I've never had any problems with the groundsheet on my Akto or my Nallo. In fact they're thicker than most other brands. I must admit to using a footprint when I'm not worried about carrying the weight, but that's more to prolong the life of the tent as much as possible. Only been using the footprint on the Akto for a year or two... the tent is nearly 10 years old and just come back from another seven week exped (do at least one long exped a year, plus use it for weekends in the UK throughout the year, all seasons). I have friends who have bought two or three tents in that time because of various breakages or them 'wearing out'... just one tent that's still going strong? That's value for money. Co:

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...