UKC

Insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Cheryl19 14 Aug 2013
Hey, so I need insurance for alpine climbing/scrambling and walking (up to about 4,200). I was wondering if anyone had used 'alpenverein' through the Austrian Alpine Club membership and what experience you had with them?
If not does anyone have a suggestion for cheaper insurance than the BMC as it's extortionate!
Thanks
 Strachan 14 Aug 2013
In reply to Cheryl19:
The BMC insurance is expensive but IMO it is worth the money to know you have a good insurance policy should anything happen. Having had a serious skiing accident with a policy written in such a way that the insurers could pay out the bare minimum amount of money possible, and ending up with alot of costs not covered, I would never now choose a policy based on cost alone.
Hope this helps
 rj_townsend 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Cheryl19: I have normal travel insurance with ski package, but have topped this up with Austrian Alpine Club membership to cover search and rescue.
 woollardjt 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Cheryl19:

You get what you pay for, I used to work as a ski rep and I have dealt with a number of people who picked cheap insurance and they ended up forking out stupid money as their policy only covered the bare minimum.

BMC insurance may appear costly but if you need to use it you will be glad you have it
Removed User 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Cheryl19:

That AAC insurance is great! A friend had an accident couple of years ago near Chamonix and was airlifted to the hospital. Insurance covered everything, rescue service didn't ask for any payment in advance or anything like that. Hope this helps.
Cheryl19 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Removed UserZebdi: Thanks a lot, the policy looked great but wanted to check before I buy so this is encouraging!
Cheryl19 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Cheryl19: Thanks for all the advice
 mypyrex 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Cheryl19: I would endorse the comments in favour of BMC. You know what you are getting and the BMC know what you need. As an old fart I have to pay an age premium but I am still happier with BMC. Also, their terms regarding medical conditions are pretty transparent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...