UKC

Blizzard IQ XO firebird ski's help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 xplorer 15 Aug 2013
Just been given these ski's

http://www.skis.com/Blizzard-Firebird-XO-IQ-Skis-with-IQ-3.10-Bindings/8605...

Can these be used for touring if I change the bindings and add skins
 Grigor 15 Aug 2013
In reply to xplorer:

Almost certainly yes - but they might not be ideal.

From the photos it looks as though the ski is free from any integral mounting rails for the current bindings. Assuming that the top of the ski is basically flat in the binding area then it should be easy enough to mount touring bindings.

The plastic moulding at the tip of the ski might cause problems fitting the tip-clip on some makes of skins but careful selection (or careful use of an angle grinder) should avoid that.

How they will fair as a touring ski will inevitably depend on your level, plans and ambitions.

Because they are a piste ski they probably aren't that light. They are also very waisted for easy turning on piste. You might find that the wide tips become annoying as they may snag when you're following a existing skin track.

If you have touring bindings and an old pair of skins that could be trimmed to fit then they might offer a cheap set-up for some hacking about.

If you need to buy bindings and skins then you might be better served by searching for a second-hand package. Because skins are (generally) cut to suit a given ski it's common to see them sold together.

Happy touring...
OP xplorer 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Grigor:

Seems like my best bet would be to sell these skis, and buy a basic set up.

Do you know any good deals
 Grigor 15 Aug 2013
In reply to xplorer:

There is a lot to be said for not using brand new skis for touring. The nature of the sport means that even if you end up skiing powder up high you are quite likely to end up in some rockier areas at some point.

It'd certainly be worth trying UK based ski forums like WinterHighland and SnowHeads as well as as ebay and gumtree. Touring packages are often sold complete (skis, bindings and skins) as people upgrade... ...or realise that a couple of snowy British winters do not mean it's always like that.

Work out what length of ski you want and what width underfoot.

Most people tour on skis that are a little shorter than they use for lift-served skiing. Shorter means lighter, more manageable in tricky snow and easier to kick-turn when switchbacking uphill.

Width underfoot will depend on where you plan to tour but you'd be well served by something around 85mm-95mm. Narrow enough to give good edge holding but wide enough to deal with crud well. Don't go for anything too waisted (short turn radius) as they tend to grab and can be less reassuring when side-slipping down steep or icy sections.

Good luck...
 rj_townsend 15 Aug 2013
In reply to xplorer: What length skis do you take? I have a pair of 190cm Rossignol Bandits with Fritschi touring bindings which I'd be happy to part with for £75. I'm away for a couple of weeks, but let me know if you're interested.
 rj_townsend 15 Aug 2013
In reply to rj_townsend: I also have an old Swiss-army set-up available for £75. Skis (straight, not carver), Fritschi bindings, skins and poles. 170cm long. Perfectly serviceable, but perhaps not the most current gear.
Srick 15 Aug 2013
In reply to xplorer:

Way to much of a carver. If it had a 18m turn radius it wouldn't be to bad. though as said before i bet there heavy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...