UKC

How long a rope for abseiling on the Skye Cuillin ridge?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
feralgoat 15 Aug 2013
Hi all
I'm hoping to do the ridge sometime soon and I don't want to be burdened down with any heavier gear than necessary. So as a competent climber, I'm just wondering what the shortest doubled rope is that I can get away with for the required abs?

thanks
 atrendall 15 Aug 2013
In reply to mattrm: Just done Greater Cuillin Traverse and can confirm 35m rope is plenty long enough. Used a single 35m rope and was fine for TD Gap, King's Chimney, In Pinn and Naismiths (as 2 pitches) and all the abs.
 1906johns 15 Aug 2013
In reply to feralgoat: when are you heading up there ?
 Ross McGibbon 15 Aug 2013
In reply to feralgoat:
Depends what direction you go. If you are going N to S you will need 45m and a little scramble at the bottom of Naismiths on stretch.
S to N you can manage on shorter.
 Ron Kenyon 16 Aug 2013
In reply to feralgoat:

I took along a 40m of 5ml rope which was very light and felt very adequate for abbing.

Cameron94 16 Aug 2013
In reply to feralgoat: A 34m single will reach the ground on all the Cuillin (trade route) abseils. Slightly shorter pitches but less weight.
 Mike Lates 16 Aug 2013
In reply to atrendall: Good effort; when did you squeeze that into the recent showerfest?
 Mike Lates 16 Aug 2013
In reply to Ross McGibbon: 35m reaches (17m ab) out of King's Cave on Slig side.
 Mike Lates 16 Aug 2013
In reply to Ron Kenyon: On an Italian hitch Ron?
 atrendall 17 Aug 2013
In reply to Mike Lates: Thanks, Mike. It was only relatively recently ie July so the weather was excellent.
 Ron Kenyon 17 Aug 2013
In reply to Mike Lates:

Yep - seemed very thin but felt OK when you set off.
 Mike Lates 19 Aug 2013
In reply to Ron Kenyon: I did the same with 17m a couple of years ago. I'd experimented with 35m but found it a real hassle stopping the tangles.
Had planned to abandon the 17m length tied off to the Pinn chain but decided against littering & investigate the old way of descending short end. The flake has a perfect wee pyramid top for running a rope over but was far more entertaining trying to hold the 6mm on while tying italian hitch with one hand!
Yet to find the balls to downclimb the short side unroped!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...