UKC

Smartwool Socks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dave Hunter, Rock + Run 02 Sep 2003

These socks are far and away the best I've ever worn. This may seem to be a somewhat over-enthusiastic statement; after all they're only socks. But they're not 'only' socks, they're the best and here's why.

For years I wore synthetic liners with synthetic/wool insulating socks over the top for both summer and winter use. This worked pretty well and I was happy enough with them. The real downside was that the inner sock would be saturated by the end of the day (especially in plastics), and though my feet stayed quite warm, my feet were clammy. And the socks reeked unimaginably.
I've spent the past two winters and last summer in Smartwool liners and mountaineering socks. The difference is remarkable. So remarkable that all my old socks are now donated to Oxfam. At the end of the day (and I've endured a good few 20+ hour days) my feet have been dry and comfy, even in plastics. An added bonus is that the socks hardly smell at all.

Why do they keep my feet dryer and warmer (cooler in the summer)? Basically, its because they keep your feet dry. Merino wool wicks exceptionally well. As it also absorbs moisture, it gives your body heat time to turn moisture into vapour, which will be transmitted through leather boots. A synthetic cannot do this as it does not absorb moisture, simply shifts it unvapourised into your boot.
The merino wool used in Smartwool is of a higher grade than that used by any other manufacturer, and there's more of it in the sock. It's treated so they won't itch or shrink, even when hurled into the tumble dryer for a couple of hours. The only thing to watch is that you don't wash or dry them with clothing containing velcro as they inevitably become stuck to the velcro and you lose wool from the sock as you rip them off.

The downside is that the socks aren't as durable as a synthetic. But I've got five pairs of liners (which double as everyday socks, two pairs of mountaineers and two pairs of hiking socks. They're all still going strong after nearly two years.

Best of all, if you don't think they're the best socks you've ever worn, you get your money back, no quibbles. You can't say fairer than that really.
 sutty 02 Sep 2003
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run:

Bought two pairs of liners for winter and some of ASDAS similar looking ones for a 1/4 the price. The ASDA ones outperform the expensive liners and are more comfortable.

Not used my smartwool sock yet, will do this winter.
OP Lightweight 02 Sep 2003

Don't want your old socks, Dave, but handy info knowing that the kit supremo's gear ends up at Oxfam. Which branch? Ambleside?
In reply to Lightweight:
Windermere (though it may have been Shoot the Aged or similar rather than Oxfam).
OP ben b not logged on 02 Sep 2003
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run: You could also try the Icebreaker merino socks from NZ. Not sure if you've used their baselayers - which are IMHO fantastic - but the socks are similarly exceptional. I'd dispute your comment about the merino grade being higher in Smartwool socks though. Having tried both, the Icebreakers are considerably better and harder wearing.

Bring back wool! And it's biodegradable...
OP ben b not logged on 02 Sep 2003
The website's here BTW: http://www.icebreaker.co.nz
OP Anonymous 02 Sep 2003
That's quite a sales pitch!
You wouldn't happen to know a shop that sells them, would you??
In reply to ben b not logged on:
re the merino wool being higher quality, that's from Smartwool's own literature (though not specifically compared to Icebreaker).
Not used Icebreaker thermals. Used Smartwool ones last winter though and they were fantastic. No reason why Icebreaker shouldn't be as good. Smartwool ones are very simple in design though. Some Icebreaker I've seen is a bit trendy design if you see what I mean... Looks good though.
In reply to Anonymous:
There are many. We of course are one
mat s 02 Sep 2003
Why not add a conversion chart to the page with the Smart Wool liner sock. How am I to know what size feet I have, S, M, L or XL?
In reply to mat s:
Good point. I shall notify our highly trained web maintenance folk. Bear in mind if your borderline, choose the smaller size. Also if you have a very narrow or shallow foot you may need to downsize (this is true for all socks)
OP DelGirl 02 Sep 2003

Was really interested in your smart wool sock plug as just got back from the Alps and have decided definitly need to buy new socks! Just been on rock and run and as some one has already pointed out how are you suppose to know what size you need? Noticed as well that the Smart wool mountaineer only goes as small as a Medium, which is probably going to be too big for my little girly feet!
Any recommendations/suggestions for a good alpine boot sock such as the smart wool mountaineer that will go down to my small size?
Cheers
 london_huddy 02 Sep 2003
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run: have to agree with thre big man on this one. I'vre about pairs from light hikers for the summer, to the low cut thinnines for with shoes and then the full thickness exped type ones. brilliant, will never wear another type again.

one other good thing is that after even a few sweaty days they don't pong too badly! useful for backpacking.

buy some!
In reply to DelGirl:
Well you could try the Icebreaker ones if they go small enough (which I don't know I'm afraid). You really need size 8 feet to fit Smartwool mountaineers in medium. I really can't understand why they don't make them in small, it's ridiculous.
If you only need it for summer, the Hiking sock may well be fine.
Thorlo Mountain socks are good but use wool/acrylic and hence you get sweatier feet.
Wigwam make decent socks but I'm not sure they do a specific mountaineering sock.
Sorry I can't be more help
OP Delgirl 02 Sep 2003

Cheers, obviously not enough mountaineers out there with little feet!
Norrie Muir 02 Sep 2003

Dear Dave

I was very interested in your sales pitch for Smartwool Socks. Until a few weeks ago I did not have any problem with sweaty feet, I put it down to being unfit, however, I realised it was the heat that made me sweat.

I bought 2 pair of loopstitch socks in 1973 and have worn them alternatively since, so far I have not worn a hole in them yet. Do you think this is because of my lack of sweating or my wife’s washing them that they have lasted so long.

Norrie
In reply to Norrie Muir:

Dear Norrie,

I am very concerned that your feet have started sweating recently. Do you think that your physiology might be reacting to a sudden drop in alcohol intake?

With regard to how long your socks have lasted, perhaps years of tiptoeing up thinly iced slabs has made you dainty on your feet?

Dave
Norrie Muir 02 Sep 2003

Dear Dave

Thank you for your concern on my temporary sweating problem, now the temperature has receded, I will not have to take to the drink. Unlike my mouth, I always watched where I put my feet, so that could be a reason for holeless socks.

Norrie

PS Now the winter is coming, I am looking to purchase a pair of summer lightweight waterproof over-trousers (fully zipped), if you have any recommendations I would appreciate it. I do have a pair of heavy duty ones.
In reply to Norrie Muir:

Tricky that.
Marmot do a full zip light waterproof trouser, the Precip But the flap is on the inside of the zip, not the outside, so really driving rain will penetrate.
Mountain Hardwear's Epic Pant has the flap in its proper place on the outside but only zip from the bottom to the top of the thigh.
Most (all?) other lightweight waterproofs zip only to the knee.

Personally I'd go for the Epics but neither are exactly what you want.

Cheers D
 TobyA 02 Sep 2003
>
> These socks are far and away the best I've ever worn. This may seem to be a somewhat over-enthusiastic statement; after all they're only socks. But they're not 'only' socks, they're the best and here's why.

Dave - I think we need a "register of members interests" like in Parliament. The important question is did you buy them or did the rep give you a couple of pairs for free? I have some fox river socks which I got as a bung when working in a shop in Glasgow back in the mid-90s. Worn loads abit threadbare now but still going strong. Have always seemed fantastic, mainly because they were free!

Norrie - light over-troos. Check out the Marmot Precip full zips ones. I have a pair and they seem to do the job fine. Also if you are up in Fort William go to West Coast Outdoor and see if they are still doing "Vander" ones. They were my last pair and they lasted well and were used quite a lot. They were very reasonably priced. Heartily recommended.
sandyman 02 Sep 2003

my wife has a pair of thigh length shiny rubber boots with 10" heels, she does not use any socks but tells me lots of talc stops over sweating. Do smartwool produce a thigh length liner i could buy her?
Norrie Muir 02 Sep 2003

Dear Dave

Thanks for the advice and comments.

Norrie
Norrie Muir 02 Sep 2003
In reply to sandyman:

Dear Sandyman

My advice to your wife would be to lie on her back and raise her legs a bit higher than normal, that way the water/sweat will run out. I find this the best method when my rubber boots (wellies) get flooded.

Norrie
OP d hunter 02 Sep 2003
In reply to TobyA:

Ive had a whole bunch of free socks from various companies. smartwool included. theyre the best. just cos a rep gives you something doesnt mean its any cop. im rather put out by your implication. im really not that shallow
OP d hunter 02 Sep 2003
In reply to sandyman:

are you certain that shes your wife. i would suggest a pair of fishing socks being close to fishnet...

10 inch heels- does she not topple over...
Me Peabody 02 Sep 2003

Hate to disagree, but in my testing Smartwool are about the worse socks I have used. After a day of use, the heel cup of the sock was up around my ankle on every pair I have used, yes they wick moisture but Smartwool do not dry over night on a bivy laying on my chest and in fact can take about 2 days at home with all that wool, prone to blisters and of course they wear very fast. I have overheard these statements from many climbers.

Bridgedale is the very best sock I have ever used. Retain their shape, dry fast 50/50 mix and they last.
In reply to Me Peabody:
I am sure you and your friends are correct. I can only assume that we have very different physiologies as I find the exact opposite to you.
Regards D
 Ander 02 Sep 2003
In reply to Me Peabody: You see my Bridgedale socks have lost thier shape, and tend to 'wringle' and so give me blisters.

Longest lasting socks, I must say, are Thor-lo's.

Alex Purser 02 Sep 2003
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run: great arn't they
OP ben b still not logged on 02 Sep 2003
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run: Some of the icebreaker stuff is aimed more at the fashion market, I agree. However the silkweight merino tops and the midweight ones are outstanding - they wick well, don't itch, dry suprisingly quickly and never really smell. They are also easily washable. I have a very nice silkweight T, the only problem is it's far too nice to wear in the hills!

I noticed Andy Kirkpatrick mentioned them in High recently, not sure if he's reading this thread. If so he may have some comments too.

The socks are available in both mens and womens sizes:
http://www.icebreaker.co.nz/product/rocksocks.asp#size

I run in the lighter short versions and telemark in the heavier weight ones. These are relatively slow to dry though.

Interestingly I also have a pair of freebie Fox River socks circa 1993 that are still going, in terms of longevity they've done well - if only the y weren't so uncomfortable to wear! They are the sock equivalent of the undead.

As for Icebreaker socks, I haven't yet used them for winter mountaineering as it was summer in NZ when I bought them, and not much snow round here now...
 ben b 02 Sep 2003
In reply to TobyA:
> Dave - I think we need a "register of members interests" like in Parliament.

So "Dave Hunter, Rock & Run" not clear enough then...
Dave Hunter 02 Sep 2003
In reply to ben b:
Thanks for that Ben, a good point well made.
Cheers D
JB 02 Sep 2003
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run: I started wearing Smartwool socks years ago when they first came out in the States. Since then, a number of other companies have come up with better socks blending wool and synthetic fibers. The problem with Smartwool socks in my experience is a) the wool is too dense and coarse and only gets worse with time, and b) they're too warm. True, they don't stink like synthetic socks, but they do tend to cause blisters and they wear out faster. If you've never worn pure wool socks with mountaineering boots in the winter, they're a revelation, but worth experimenting with some of the newer wool/synthetic blends.
Dave Hunter 02 Sep 2003
In reply to JB:
My old socks were wool/synthetic. Wool/silk seems to me to be perhaps a better option, but nobody makes mountaineering socks using this as far as I'm aware.
As for blisters, you are surely wearing them too big?
jude 02 Sep 2003

Best guarantee I've ever heard about on socks. If you don't think they're the best socks in the world, bring them back and Dave will eat them so I'm told!

Jude
OP JB 03 Sep 2003
In reply to Dave Hunter: Dave, the fit is perfect unfortunately. I have noticed, however, that the blisters are mainly a summer problem. They're just too warm when I'm wearing leather mountaineering boots in the Alps, especially this summer. But a few years ago, I found an almost perfect sock through an unlikely outdoor outfitter in the States called LL Bean that mainly caters to the fishing enthusiast. Those blended NZ socks sound similar. If R&R stocked them, I would give them a try.
ChrisDaly 03 Sep 2003
In reply to JB: Have to agree with Dave excellent socks and I too have started ridding myself of all the others.
In reply to mat s:
> (In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run)
> Why not add a conversion chart to the page with the Smart Wool liner sock. How am I to know what size feet I have, S, M, L or XL?

UK sizes now added. http://www.rockrun.com/shop/type.html?d=17&t=254
 TobyA 03 Sep 2003
In reply to d hunter:
> (In reply to TobyA)
>
> Ive had a whole bunch of free socks from various companies. smartwool included. theyre the best. just cos a rep gives you something doesnt mean its any cop. im rather put out by your implication. im really not that shallow

Sorry - perhaps there should have been a at the end! Nowt but respect for your recommendations.
Toby M 28 Sep 2003
In reply to Dave Hunter: Have you, or anybody else tried the powerstretch mountain socks featured in High recently(new gear). Anybody got any thoughts on how well they would shape up against conventional models?
OP Anonymous 29 Sep 2003

Anybody got any thoughts on how well they would shape up
They looked like they might shape up well - they had specific L and R.

Jimbob 29 Sep 2003

This is the best thread about socks that I've ever read.
Alison Bond 29 Sep 2003
I love my Bridgedales. I even like them with sandals. Looks crap, feels great!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...