UKC

Negativity on ukclimbing....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chad123 15 Aug 2013
Just read a few threads over the last few days and I'm amazed at how cynical, negative and pathetic some of the people on here are. Almost all topics, be it someone puts up a hard new route, someone climbing something for a good cause or someone daring to suggest bolts might improve a few crags get not only shot down but really attacked. No doubt someone will attack me for pointing this out but it would be nice to have a few more positive types out there supporting new climbers, new climbs and new ideas......call me a dreamer but you only live once people, try and enjoy it!
 ebdon 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Chad123: oh put a sock in it - cant you see everything is clearly rubbish?
andyathome 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Chad123:
I positively welcome your post about positivity. (Apart from the bit about 'bolts might improve a few crags' - there you and me need to differ a bit).

And I would even go so far as to suggest that the routine vilification of cyclists/non-cyclists; fat people/thin people; normal people / 'pikeys'; sport climbers / trad climbers; Russians / 'us'; Israelis / Palestinians;....oh I could go on and on but it all boils down to an assumed 'us vs 'them' doesn't it.....does this forum few favours. Although it can raise the amusement levels - and of course it really increases the number of site hits........

Positive, The way forward. I'm positive about that.
 Choss Weasel 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Chad123: I've noticed aggression and nastiness on here. Some posters are desperate to assert themselves on others at every opportunity. To be fair though many outdoor related forums I have seen have the same problem. There are some really nice people who post here too though.
 Timmd 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Chad123:

It's always been a bit 'spikey', but I think you do have a point.

Somebody posted a thread about how people seem to like to attack each other approx five years ago, and it turned into people attacking each other.

It made me laugh, anyway... ()
 Jon Stewart 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Chad123:

The clue's in the name: UKClimbing.
 The Lemming 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Chad123:

Possibly the perceived negativity is people trying to prove their superiority in any way they can.

Their mantra is crush the opposition at all costs to prove their cerebral prowess, be that the pedants, pseudo-experts or out and out flamers hell bent on saying you are stupid in a pseudo-witty way.

I try to stay positive as much as I can in life and on here. The best way to avoid negative people, is not to engage in conversation with them. I am sure that there are many who swerve past topics created by me, and that's fine as most if not all of them are bland and fluffy, which is why they are posted in The Pub.

There are also people who I will not reply to, not because I am negative, but because I do not want to be dragged down by them.

Negativity is a state of mind, and the site is full of both positive and negative people.

Must go, Emmerdale is back on.
 Choss Weasel 15 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to Chad123)
>
> Possibly the perceived negativity is people trying to prove their superiority in any way they can.
>
> Their mantra is crush the opposition at all costs to prove their cerebral prowess, be that the pedants, pseudo-experts or out and out flamers hell bent on saying you are stupid in a pseudo-witty way.
>
>

Yes exactly the observations I've often made. People trying to assert themselves on others basically. It's usually not about the facts of an argument but about winning and achieving dominance over the other poster.
 Banned User 77 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Chad123: Just typical UK behaviour.. tall poppy syndrome.. we like nothing better than raising people up then knocking them back down to size again....

Rob Exile Ward 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Chad123: Crikey you're conflating a few things there - sorry to shoot you down and all. The Franco thread was a bit weird, though he had been a bit silly and asking for more or less precisely what he got - respect, but a bit of wry 'here we go again' amusement. If someone seriously proposes bolting Stanage - 'to make it safer, more democratic' - then that would upset me, it conflicts with everything that is important to me about climbing, and I would be pretty caustic, because anyone posting such drivel would be either malicious, an idiot or most likely both.

UKC is a bit spikey, where's the problem?
andyathome 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:
> The Franco thread was a bit weird, though he had been a bit silly and asking for more or less precisely what he got - respect, but a bit of wry 'here we go again' amusement. If someone seriously proposes bolting Stanage - 'to make it safer, more democratic' - then that would upset me, it conflicts with everything that is important to me about climbing, and I would be pretty caustic, because anyone posting such drivel would be either malicious, an idiot or most likely both.
>
> UKC is a bit spikey, where's the problem?

You see; there you go being negative. The OP never mentioned Franco, Stanage or you. You are making assumptions and extrapolating from them.
 cuppatea 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Chad123:

It's all summed up in the quote

It is not enough for me to win.
Others must lose.

Now. Where have I read that recently?

Satire I tell thee. Satire.
 Jim Fraser 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Chad123:
> Just read a few threads over the last few days and I'm amazed at how cynical, negative and pathetic some of the people on here are. ....

Sorry mate, this is UK climbing dot com which means you have to put up with UK sh1t.

And it is sh1t. An economy run by gamblers, a tax regime aimed at ripping off the poor, physical infrastructure so disorganised that it could have been designed by rolling dice, no written constitution, and class-ridden institutions. So what else did you expect?
 Padraig 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Chad123:

Ya def a girl or gay? Geez get over yaself! Now having said all that I don't post as often as I did. Mostly down to posts like this. Yaldy!
 Jon Stewart 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Jim Fraser:
> (In reply to Chad123)
> [...]
>
> Sorry mate, this is UK climbing dot com which means you have to put up with UK sh1t.
>
> And it is sh1t. An economy run by gamblers, a tax regime aimed at ripping off the poor, physical infrastructure so disorganised that it could have been designed by rolling dice, no written constitution, and class-ridden institutions. So what else did you expect?

On a more positive note, we do make by the best TV comedy/satire in the world by a country mile.
In reply to Chad123: No one ever thanks you for telling them the truth.
 steveej 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Chad123: maybe its the fact we have no real rules? so we have to be self policing? and have to hold everyone accountable?
 ablackett 15 Aug 2013
In reply to steveej: This is all garbage, shut up will you all.
 tlm 16 Aug 2013
In reply to Chad123:

I don't think the people writing it see it in that light. I think it is often people who are a bit bored and who want to cause an effect with their writing, so say something a bit provocative (a bit like poking a stick in a wasp nest to see what will happen, or maybe more like when my sisters used to try insulting me as a child to get a reaction?)

Also, you have a mixture of people here, like in any walk of life. If you look for the cynicism, then you will notice it, especially seeing as the most vitriolic threads get a bit self-selecting in who chooses to bother to read or contribute to them. I've often contributed to a thread early on and then stopped bothering because it has become pointless to have a moderate opinion on threads which basically seem to be teenage boys poking one another in the eye and laughing about it.

I tend to focus on the more constructive comments, of which there are LOADS! I've never posted on here and not found the answer to a question, be it suggestions for holidays, how to write a query in access, how to fix the computer, how to mend the fireplace or any of the multitude of things that I ask. This is the most reliable place to find an expert opinion on ANYTHING! It's also a great mechanism for getting the important news stories with some analysis without having to read all the news!

I've also found climbing partners, friends and husbands here! the beauty of written text is that you choose what you bother to read, what you follow, and what you reply to.

So choose what you read and take responsibility for that choice. You only live once, so try to enjoy it!
 Rob Exile Ward 16 Aug 2013
In reply to tlm: I haven't found a husband on here - well I suppose I have, but not the way you mean,, but otherwise... exactly.
 Choss Weasel 16 Aug 2013
In reply to Padraig:
> (In reply to Chad123)
>
> Ya def a girl or gay? Geez get over yaself!.......

That sounds quite homophobic macho nonsense. This isn't a boot camp.
 Dave 88 16 Aug 2013
In reply to Chad123:

If you're posting on here, it's either raining, you're at work or you're injured. It's therefore logical that everyone is gonna be a bit frosty!
 nufkin 16 Aug 2013
In reply to Jim Fraser:

> And it is sh1t. An economy run by gamblers, a tax regime aimed at ripping off the poor, physical infrastructure so disorganised that it could have been designed by rolling dice, no written constitution, and class-ridden institutions. So what else did you expect?

Custard creams and PG Tips go a long way to compensate for all this
 DaveHK 16 Aug 2013
In reply to Chad123:

This isn't a justification or excuse but if you think UKC is bad don't ever go onto Singletrack.
 Choss Weasel 16 Aug 2013
In reply to Jim Fraser:
> (In reply to Chad123)
> [...]
>
> Sorry mate, this is UK climbing dot com which means you have to put up with UK sh1t.
>

Very well said.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...