UKC

First proper multi pitch advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ahogg16 15 Aug 2013
Hi all planning a trip to the lakes next week do tackle our first proper multi pitch effort
Looking for an easyish climb really to just gain experience on the multi pitch side of things

My mate and i both lead Hard Severe so something around VDIFF or lower would probably be a good start !

Looking for advice on a good route please open to anywhere in the lake district but a good walk in would be a bonus !!!

Any other tips greatly appreciated as well
Thanks in advance !
Cheers
 martinph78 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Ahogg16: Needle Ridge was my first in the Lakes, and as predictable as it is, it's popular for good reason! The belay stances are all plenty big enough for you to stand on safely, and so building belays is easy (no hanging or multi-directional belays required). Great views on the climb, and a big feel to it.

The walk in is pretty good as well.

Don't take loads of gear either. I find long slings handy for setting up belays, and also for protecting spikes etc. A couple of sets of nuts and some screwgates is about all you'll need, along with a small pack for shoes, lunch, jacket.

xplorer 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Ahogg16:

Just think of it as individual single pitches. It all comes natural, protection is often a lot more run out than single pitch routes though.
OP Ahogg16 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Martin1978: great reply appreciate thanks
 nickcj 15 Aug 2013
In reply to Ahogg16:

Raven Crag Buttress is a good one to start on, or Corvus if you are up for the infamous hand traverse!!
In reply to Ahogg16: Good suggestions above but may I recommend Grey Crag Buttermere for a really special experience?

Link up several great multi-pitch climbs on fantastic rock in a quiet and beautiful setting.

Well worth checking out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...