UKC

Wiggo to leave road at end of 2014 season for the track

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andy 19 Aug 2013
In reply to La Shamster: interesting article - glad he's addressed the ridiculous Cound-inspired campaign to demand he bows down at the feet of the mighty Chris by publicly congratulating him - he hasn't got his number. He's said Froome's a better GC rider, and he's said he'll shake his hand and say "well done" when he sees him. Now STFU Michelle.

Nice one, Wiggo - look forward to your farewell tour up and down Skipton High Street!
 Dark-Cloud 20 Aug 2013
In reply to La Shamster: There is something deeply unsettling about all this, I can't make my mind up or understand the guy, he appears to be a very tortured person, i understand he took a blow by naming the Giro as his next target and was pretty lacklustre so will have taken a confidence knock but it it just doesn't make sense.........

He loses lots of weight to become grand tour winner, he wins GT TT's and Olympic gold TT at that weight against Tony Martin, Cancellara etc. he then announces he has put on 8kgs to be in with more of a chance of winning worlds TT, what's all that about ?
 JLS 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

>"what's all that about ?"

He can't be @rsed. It's hard work to keep in the sort of shape you need to be in to win a grand tour. He'd done it for a few years, been luckiy enough to have pulled off a win, is now financially secure and is happy to go train on the track in Manchester and go home and play football with his kids of an evening. I can't really blame him.
 Dark-Cloud 20 Aug 2013
In reply to JLS: Yeah I am sure the team are happy with that, one sentence I cant imagine Brailsford coming out with is "Dont worry Brad, you just go and play football with the kids, you don't need to earn any more money, just go an enjoy yourself on the track"
 Arms Cliff 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Dark-Cloud: Has he had a straight shoot out with Martin at a TT? Martin broke his wrist at the tour last year and wasn't in top form for the olympics still. I remember reading somewhere about Brad putting on the muscle to be able to push a bigger gear at lower cadence a la Martin.
 Chris the Tall 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> He loses lots of weight to become grand tour winner, he wins GT TT's and Olympic gold TT at that weight against Tony Martin, Cancellara etc. he then announces he has put on 8kgs to be in with more of a chance of winning worlds TT, what's all that about ?

Neither Martin or Cancellara were anywhere near their best form in the races Brad won last year - Martin in particular will be tough to beat this year.
 Chris the Tall 20 Aug 2013
In reply to JLS:

> He can't be @rsed. It's hard work to keep in the sort of shape you need to be in to win a grand tour. He'd done it for a few years, been luckiy enough to have pulled off a win, is now financially secure and is happy to go train on the track in Manchester and go home and play football with his kids of an evening. I can't really blame him.

Agree except that its really unfair to say he can't be @rsed. He's reaching the end of a great career and can no longer justify the self-sacrifice and time away from his family. But who knows, he might still put in the hours in Manchester and win another medal in Rio
 Enty 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
> (In reply to La Shamster) There is something deeply unsettling about all this, I can't make my mind up or understand the guy, he appears to be a very tortured person,
>
>
He seems fairly normal to me.
I race chippers at an unbelievably mediocre standard and making the decision every October on whether I want to be competitive in April is a massive decision to me so god knows what it's like for someone like Brad who has the previous season to live up to.
Being a family man and winning bike races are not compatible.
Yes - I know he's earning millions and the most I've ever won is a case of wine, cheese and saucisson but I think I know what he's going through each winter.

E
 Enty 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to JLS)
>
> [...]
>
> Agree except that its really unfair to say he can't be @rsed. He's reaching the end of a great career and can no longer justify the self-sacrifice and time away from his family. But who knows, he might still put in the hours in Manchester and win another medal in Rio

This ^^^

E
Removed User 23 Aug 2013
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
> (In reply to La Shamster) There is something deeply unsettling about all this, I can't make my mind up or understand the guy, he appears to be a very tortured person, i understand he took a blow by naming the Giro as his next target and was pretty lacklustre so will have taken a confidence knock but it it just doesn't make sense.........

He's about the most down to earth superstar I've every seen. He doesn't pretend to be anything he isn't and will quite happily admit to his failings.

The other poster who used the term "lucky enough to win" needs to get an effing reality check.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...