UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Cuillin Traverse Times Two

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 20 Aug 2013
On the In Pinn, 2 kbDuring the heatwave of July, Paul Tattersall set himself an ambitious personal challenge - two back-to-back traverses of the Cuillin ridge. Here's his account.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=5722
 Chad123 20 Aug 2013
In reply to UKC Articles:

Great work! Take one of the best days out in Scotland and do it twice for good measure - also has the bonus of getting back to your car and the Slig for a well deserved pint easily....
andy kirkpatrick 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Chad123: probably just a bowl of lentils : )

I find those times absolutely amazing. The whole thing in just 16 hours.
 Offwidth 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

The one way record is three and a quarter hours. I guess amazing is like infinity: it can come in different sizes
In reply to Offwidth:

Yes, but two ways is not simply going to be 3 1/4 multiplied by 2, is it? Yes, amazement can come in different sizes. It's one stupendous day.
In reply to Offwidth:

BTW, I think it's a first. Not entirely clear from the article.
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: We're not sure either Gordon. Anyone?

16hrs Slig-to-Slig (note: not summit to summit) is pretty impressive in my book
 Offwidth 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Normally its x 2.1 or so for distance running on similar terrain I think. Its an amazing feat all the same.
andy kirkpatrick 20 Aug 2013
In reply to Offwidth:Once saw Paul solo an E5 with odd boots (one with a hole in the toe), in fact several on the same day (still the only man I know to free solo Scottish 7 (central Buttress)). Life in the old dog yet.
 jazzyjackson 20 Aug 2013

superb!Good effort and respect for not bothering with times and just enjoying it for the moment! : )
Tom Knowles 21 Aug 2013
In reply to andy kirkpatrick:
> (In reply to Offwidth)Once saw Paul solo an E5 with odd boots (one with a hole in the toe), in fact several on the same day (still the only man I know to free solo Scottish 7 (central Buttress)). Life in the old dog yet.

Good effort in the height of summer. Have heard about Paul's solo of Central Buttress before but thought he'd avoided the crux by taking the alternative 5/6 finish instead?
 kwoods 21 Aug 2013
In reply to UKC Articles: I was actually taking a break from the Ridge in Glen Brittle on the 10th July because it was so hot. Respect!
 Richardlake 21 Aug 2013
My brother and I watched him climb up past Sgurr Mich Coinnich as we were climbing the in pinn, then bumped into him as he over took us climbing the second top of Mhadaidh. Showed us the way up and chatted to us, very nice bloke. Incredible achievement. Even in perfect weather this ridge is tough, to do it twice through with all the hard climbs... Epic.
 JIMBO 21 Aug 2013
In reply to UKC Articles: well done to Paul... we met him 3 times that day. 1st on his way south on Banachdaich, 2nd just as we were finishing our two day crossing of the ridge at Gillean and the 3rd time was in the pub! Amazing, especially on such a hot day and a nice guy too

Jim (& Karen)
 Babika 22 Aug 2013
A great account - loved the bits about sleeping in the shade. Very evocative
Its inspired me to give it a go one day - but one way only and in considerably longer time.
Tom Knowles 22 Aug 2013

Andy's comments about Paul's solo of Central Buttress got me curious. Found these UKC posts dating back to 2002 (!):

In reply to James Edwards: Andyk once told me that Paul Tattersal or Dave Hesleden, can't remember which, had soloed Central buttress on Beinn Eighe, and enjoyed it so much he did it again! Take this with a pinch of salt though unless confirmed by someone else.

In reply to Stac Pollaidh: Yeah, not done Central buttress but everyone I know who has says the chimney bit is tricky. In the same story I think Andy said that Paul had avoided this by hooking up one of the walls to the side, doesn't mean anything to me but if you've been there maybe you can picture it?

Sorry to be talking about this instead of your Cuillin exploits Paul, but maybe you could clarify the above. Always better coming from the horse's mouth and I'm sure there's plenty of folk who'd be interested to hear! Cheers, Tom.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...