UKC

Finding climbing partners in Camp 4, Yosemite?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gripped 22 Aug 2013
I have just had a cancellation from a partner for a three week trip to Yosemite in late September and early October.

I’m thinking of just going and seeing who I might be able to find at Camp 4. Has anyone tried this out? It seems a long way to go on a chance. What are your experiences?

I’m not really fussed by the walls out their but was more interested in the rock climbing. I’ve been out before with partners climbing routes like East Buttress (Middle Cathedral), Nutcracker (Manure Pile Buttress), Snake Dyke and so on.

Most of the people in Camp 4 seemed focused on the walls. Where-as I wanted to get up to the Meadows for things like South Crack, West Crack and Regular Route on Fairview Dome or anything else of a similar nature in the valley.

I’d appreciate ideas from people who tried this.
 Enty 22 Aug 2013
In reply to Gripped:

In my experience Camp 4 must be the easiest place on earth to find partners. The notice board is always full of requests for partners.

Also - I think you're wrong about the majority of people looking for Wall partners. Most people seemed to be looking for people to climb anything when I've been there.

You could also try to find someone in advance by posting on the Supertopo forum.

E
 Offwidth 22 Aug 2013
In reply to Gripped:

You should maybe use the partner requests on Supertopo and Mountain Project. Its a bit of a drive to get up to the Tuolumne climbing area given all the traffic and speed restrictions.
 Rick Graham 22 Aug 2013
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to Gripped)
>
> In my experience Camp 4 must be the easiest place on earth to find partners.

Very true.

Been twice to Yosemite on my todd.

Both times had a choice of people to climb with before I had even put up the tent.
 seankenny 22 Aug 2013
In reply to Gripped:

You'll have absolutely no problems. I think it's actually harder to find someone to do a wall with than to find someone into doing the classic free routes.

It's a bit of a drive round from the Valley to Tuolomne but totally worth it. Probably going to be cold up there tho in late Sept - go early on.
OP Gripped 23 Aug 2013
In reply to all: Many thanks, can't wait, sounds good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...