UKC

George Mackay Brown - Magnus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Douglas Griffin 22 Aug 2013
Going through a bit of an Orkney phase at the moment, having just spent 2 fantastic weeks camping there with my wife and kids.

I've read Greenvoe and Vinland and can't really say that either of them made much of an impression on me. However, while on holiday I read Magnus. I might still be under the influence of my time in Orkney but I reckon it's probably the most beautiful book I've ever read - the prose is absolutely stunning.

Thought I'd mention it here in case anyone is looking for something to read. Did a quick search and it doesn't seem to have been mentioned on UKC.
 tony 22 Aug 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin:

George Mackay Brown is wonderful. My favourite is Beside the Ocean of Time. I haven't read Magnus, although I think we do have a copy in the house - must get on to it.

You might also be interested in Maggie Fergusson's biography of GMB. It's a terrific piece of work.
In reply to tony:

Yep, already read Maggie Fergusson's bio of GMB - agreed, it's superb.
In reply to tony:

ps - Beside The Ocean of Time is next on my list. Shortlisted for the Booker Prize, I believe.
 MagnusL 22 Aug 2013
In reply to Douglas Griffin:

I'll have to find a copy and give it a go. My family roots go back to there, hence the name.
In reply to MagnusL:

I hope you like it. It's a quasi-religious novel but even to someone like me, who is absolutely not religious, it was wonderful to read in view of the quality of the prose.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...