/ Main Wall cyrn las

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
drsdave - on 22 Aug 2013
Hi Guys,
anyone done this route, MAIN WALL CYRN LAS. What gear is recommended, i.e multiple No 2 cams or found that i should have taken more numbers 1's etc etc.
Thanks

d
a lakeland climber on 22 Aug 2013
In reply to drsdave:

Standard rack plus a few slings.

ALC
Pursued by a bear - on 22 Aug 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: The slings are important. I remember using a few long ones both to extend runners to minimise rope drag and for belays.

T.
drsdave - on 22 Aug 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber:

thanks
d
drsdave - on 22 Aug 2013
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

thanks

d
highclimber - on 22 Aug 2013
In reply to drsdave: I don't remember taking anything special. I don't think I even had a full rack of cams. Definitely take slings though!
Shone on 22 Aug 2013
In reply to drsdave:
A helmet
jimjimjim on 22 Aug 2013
In reply to drsdave: just get on it....whatever ever gear you take it's possible to do it with less. It's not a hard route and if there was something out of the ordinary needed the guide books would no doubt say so. The fact the you're asking the question tells a lot.
Good luck
David Kay - on 22 Aug 2013
In reply to Shone:
> (In reply to drsdave)
> A helmet

Very much recommended. There's a fair bit of loose rock here and there and a party below us pulled off a pretty big lump when I did it. Not to put you off though, it's a great route!
In reply to jimjimjim:
> The fact the you're asking the question tells a lot

Yes indeed; that he plans on doing it.

Before, and during, the age of the internet haven't we all talked to someone in a pub about a route we planned to do and which they'd done and asked them about it?

T.

jimjimjim on 22 Aug 2013
> (In reply to jimjimjim)
> [...]
>
> Yes indeed; that he plans on doing it.
>
And...

jimjimjim on 22 Aug 2013
> (In reply to jimjimjim)
> [...]

>
> Before, and during, the age of the internet haven't we all talked to someone in a pub about a route we planned to do and which they'd done and asked them about it?
>
> T.

I suppose so...but the answer has ofter been ' just get on it youth'.
In reply to jimjimjim: And the rest of what I posted.

If you're trying to tell me you've never asked anyone about a route you hope one day to do then you're telling an untruth.

The only difference here is that an opinion is being crowd-sourced rather than personally requested.

T.
All the Gear, No Idea on 22 Aug 2013
In reply to drsdave: A fantastic route, best kit addition/essential gear would be a camera.
I have got some awesome photos on this route,
Rack= standard set+half set wires, 1-3 size cams get selection slings, and that should do it, pitches not overly long, very climbable, ie no thrashing up esoteric horror shows, a proper class climb ...enjoy
stonemaster - on 22 Aug 2013
In reply to drsdave: Hexes and nuts. Cams may be considered cheating by some. Long slings useful. Good luck.
jcw on 22 Aug 2013
In reply to drsdave: A pair of PAs if you haven't got boots!!! How many more entries on this climb?
SGD - on 23 Aug 2013
In reply to drsdave: Lots of slings and I actually found hex's more usefull than cams
drsdave - on 23 Aug 2013

yer cheers mate, Im afraid in an open forum such as this you'll always get a nob head or two but for most i get really good comments that help me understand how to climb better. So thanks to yourself and others, trully
d
drsdave - on 23 Aug 2013
In reply to All the Gear, No Idea:
thanks
d
jimjimjim on 23 Aug 2013
In reply to drsdave: oooer....do you mean me? Sound. Ask a shit question and you'll get some shit answers.

Hello....just wondering what sort of gear I need to do a low grade rock climb that gets climbed all the time and is well covered in loads of guide books?

You need to take some slings mate.....

Well f**k me...

Hope you have a great time.
Yours
Jimbo
Jimboandrews. - on 23 Aug 2013
In reply to jimjimjim:

Some people are new to climbing and make use of the Internet. No need to be a arse was there. You could have chose not to post and leave it to the ones who had something nice and useful to write really.
BigHairyIan - on 24 Aug 2013
In reply to drsdave: fantastic route. Yes, as already said, standard rack plus s lot of slings. Hope you get the weather, and don't forget your camera!
Jamie B - on 24 Aug 2013
In reply to drsdave:

Just take a standard trad rack for a multi-pitch Hard Severe. If you're not sure what this is I'd counsel doing some other routes to find out; Main Wall is quite serious.
Offwidth - on 24 Aug 2013
In reply to drsdave:

Enjoy... its arguably the best route in the Uk (Adverikie Wall might just pip it).
drsdave - on 24 Aug 2013
In reply to Jimboandrews.:
thats about where its at Jim and yes Im fairly new to climbing and i guess this will be my second ever lead on a HS. Thanks for yours and other helpful advice and encouragement. UKC is a the best site ever!
Al Evans on 24 Aug 2013
In reply to drsdave: Yer just need a few of these Dave :-)
http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=88657
Gordon Stainforth - on 24 Aug 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to drsdave)
>
> Enjoy... its arguably the best route in the Uk (Adverikie Wall might just pip it).

The best route?! I think you mean best Hard Severe :) I've done dozens of routes in the UK that are better.

adam11 - on 24 Aug 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

I started on gear like that too, then progressed onto the almost cube like nuts that Clog made. I still carry a Moac original (mainly as a lucky charm:) ) My first stickies (before my PA's) were a pair of Desert boots with a crepe sole, they didn't slide around like Tricounis!

.............and now we have bolts!!!!!!!
drsdave - on 24 Aug 2013
In reply to Al Evans:
lol,yer i get it, i understand in days gone by that whitworth grade nuts were the in thing. You know I work a with range of interesting people, one of which is a 92 year old ex mountaineer. He's promised me some sort of gear provided i use it and I will, so if you see anyone dressed in tweed carrying what should belong on a deltic walking in the mountains that might well be me ;)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.