UKC

Routes first done on June 15th AKA Birthday Routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chrishedgehog 23 Aug 2013
It struck me when I did "Great Slab" on Cloggy that the FA was 15th June 1930. I noticed this because it is my birthday, although I was born in 1975. Then I noticed "Octo" is a 15th June FA too, although in this case, 1952.

Now then, over the years I have occasionally spotted "Birthday Routes" and either done them or put them on the list. The following are my Birthday Routes and in a way a personal ticklist:

Great Slab Cloggy VS
Octo Cloggy HVS
? E1
Lord of the Rings Scafell East Buttress E2
Vikings Gable E3
Tumble Dow E4 (particularly good one, as it is also the correct year)
Right Wall Cromlech E5

My questions are these:

1 Can anyone think of a sufficiently distinguished E1 with a FA date of 15th June to add to my list? The challenge is made slightly easier by the fact that Octo could fall into the E1 bracket so you could offer up an HVS instead and upgrade Octo as Nick Dixon has done.
2 Is there a more distinguished date in the year than that?! You have to admit, it's not a bad VS - E5 birthday personal ticklist to have a go at!
3 Has there ever been a more nerdy thread in the history of the internet?

Dave Garnett 23 Aug 2013
In reply to chrishedgehog:

You might have to put up your own E1 on your birthday. I know of a couple routes up on the first ascensionist's birthday (including one of mine!).

Otherwise you might have to make do with Birthday Groove at Curbar.
OP chrishedgehog 23 Aug 2013
In reply to Dave Garnett: That would take some planning! You're right though. That might be the only way. The problem would be finding something that is at least as or ideally more 'classic' than Octo, (in my opinion the least 'classic' route on the list) and hasn't been done yet! Sounds like a trip to the Western Isles is called for...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...