UKC

Replacing a triple chainset

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Newbuild100 24 Aug 2013
Folks.
Im am doing a bit of work on a Basso road cycle from a few years ago.
It has a triple chainset, 9 speed "shifters" and 9 speed cassette on the rear.
I want to keep the bike as original (ie, 9 speed triple chainset etc)

Question is,can I replace the chainset with a more modern 10 speed chainset ?
Are they compatable ? Will there be problems with the chain etc ?

Thnks all
 gethin_allen 24 Aug 2013
In reply to Newbuild100: shouldn't be a problem. The chainrings may be very very slightly narrower but not enough to cause a problem I don't think.
 Blinder 24 Aug 2013
In reply to Newbuild100: Never tried it, but should work however you may get some more chain noice and chainring wear than normal. Is there any reason to go for a 10 speed chain ring!
 mutt 24 Aug 2013
In reply to Newbuild100:

I wouldn't if I were you. there isn't any good reason to mix 9 speed and 10 speed chainrings that I am aware of. wear and chain slipping are the good reason to resist the temptation.

Unfortunately as I'm sure you have found, upgrading an entire chainset is prohibitively expensive. It will only cost more if you try and do it piecemeal.

OP Newbuild100 24 Aug 2013
In reply to Blinder: The only reason really to go for "10" is because they seem more readily available and somewhat cheaper too.
(Are 9 speeds now considered dated ??)
OP Newbuild100 24 Aug 2013
In reply to Newbuild100: I have since found a boxed and unused exact copy of my present chainset, on fleabay.
I guess I may go for that.
In reply to Newbuild100: Fine to use a ten speed chainring with nine speed chain but doesn't work well the other way round.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...