UKC

Road pedals/shoes... more faff than they're worth?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Carter 24 Aug 2013
I've heard a few times about road bike shoes being an advantage and stuff, so the other day I decided to take off my SPD pedals (M540) and get some SPD-SL ones (PD9000) and shoes. My MTB shoes never really fit me very well so I as buying new shoes anyway you see.

In terms of weight, there's only a difference of 250g between the two setups. In terms of how it feels to pedal, no difference. So far the only difference is that the SL's are harder to clip in to - I always seem to get it wrong clipping in! Went out last night and got caught in a downpour, now my MTB shoes would often get wet, but these new shoes must have more meshy bits or something because they were basically flooded :-P

Not sure what all the fuss is to be honest. Can't really seem to find any advantage in them. Doing a long ride this weekend so I'll see if I notice anything then I guess. Oh one thing I do like is that my new shoes have what looks like the Morrisons logo on them :-P (The Mavic logo is a black M on a yellow background square)
 gethin_allen 24 Aug 2013
In reply to Richard Carter:
The clipping in thing I found to be an issues with new pedals. The bearing seals on my 105 pedals were so tight that they didn't settle in a front up position making it had to clip in. Now that I've had them a while they are fine.
 Swirly 24 Aug 2013
In reply to Richard Carter: I did similar a few months ago and have had a similar experience. I was told the clipping would get easier as the cleats wear and that seems to be true. I have found a difference in efficiency that I'm putting down to the stiffness of the shoes.

I've decided that I'll use the SPD-SL for "proper" rides but change back to the SPDs for commuting, given it only takes 5 minutes to swap pedals this isn't going to be a ballache.
 Siward 24 Aug 2013
In reply to Richard Carter: I'm new to this clipping in lark but my A600 road pedals

http://tinyurl.com/mjdbcgb

take a standard spd clip in (rather than roadie style) and are a quantum leap above not having them at all!

They are billed as 'commuting/touring' pedals but I can't see any point in changing to 'proper' road pedals. I can also walk in the shoes when off the bike.
In reply to Richard Carter: I found the exact opposite, I've made loads of upgrades to my bike over the last few years, one of the last being carbon soled shoes and 105 sl's. Immediately noticed a bigger improvement than anything else I've changed.
 mbh 24 Aug 2013
In reply to shaun l:

Why should carbon soles to your shoes improve your riding?
 The New NickB 24 Aug 2013
In reply to mbh:

Stiffer shoes transfer energy more efficiently, obviously carbon is the preferred material for light stiff shoes.
 The New NickB 24 Aug 2013

I think comfort on longer rides will be something you notice. I rode my road bike on SPD pedals for a few months, then go a pair of the 105 SPD-SL pedals and definitely prefer them.
T_Mac 24 Aug 2013
The difference is in power transfer and stiffness which isn't easily discernable unless you spend a LOT of time on your bike.
The size of the pedal platform and cleat along with the angle that a road shoe/pedal creates for your ankle/knee is more condusive to better power over the entire pedal stroke presuming your set up is correct. Its worth it if you want it to be in all honesty. Persevere and you'll find the clipping come second nature.
SPD won't hold you back but SPD SL is definitely a better system for the road. Loads of folk use SPD for commuting due to ease of use and practicality of footwear but that all depends on your commute. I commute 30 miles a day so I'm on the bike for about 40 minutes each way so having a shoe I can walk in isn't really a priority. Its all down to what you need versus what you are prepared to put up with/shell out on etc....
 steev 24 Aug 2013

I very recently made the change to SPD-SL and found it a real faff for a few rides, including getting spectacularly dropped at a race due to not being able to clip in. Also had a fun plastic cleat on cafe floor incident.

HOWEVER, am now totally sold on them - my feet feel much better after long rides than with SPDs, and the efficiency thing is noticeable (if subtle). It took a wee while to get the cleat position sorted, but that really helped the clipping-in situation although you'll never have the 'throw your foot in the general direction of the pedal' ease of clipping that SPDs have.
 Toby_W 25 Aug 2013
In reply to Richard Carter: a few of the reasons above but my main reason for changing was I was yanking my foot off the peddle when I went to sprint. The carbon soles do make a big difference but I have them with spds as well, I think I notice the difference more because I'm a size 47 so it makes a bigger difference like front pointing.

Good luck with them.

Toby
In reply to T_Mac:

"The difference is in power transfer and stiffness which isn't easily discernable unless you spend a LOT of time on your bike."

I'm doing 250-300 miles a week, if I do any more and I'll be facing a divorce :-P

So far I've improved slightly, trying to battle on with them, still not very good at clipping in though :-P I occasionally clip in ok, but about 50-60% of the time I make a right hash of it.

I did get a new PB the other day though, so who knows, maybe the 250g saving is important! Although that said, thanks to a bout of food poisoning my body weight has dropped quite a bit lately as well. Down to sub-70Kg, not a good look on some one 6'2" :-P
 woolsack 27 Aug 2013
>
> Although that said, thanks to a bout of food poisoning my body weight has dropped quite a bit lately as well. Down to sub-70Kg, not a good look on some one 6'2" :-P

Have you got any of that food poisoning left over? I could do with shedding a few pounds
 nniff 27 Aug 2013

The biggest difference i found in clipping into SPD SLs was not forgetting that you can keep pedalliing 360 degrees with the foot that is clipped in while you wrestle with the uncooperative one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...