UKC

helvellyn ridge -3 peaks training

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Radioactiveman 24 Aug 2013
doing a bit more 3 peaks training unday up helvellyn ridge from grasmere if anyone wants to tag along for some of the finest portage on offer

aiming to leave kendal at 7 (driving to grasmere)
In reply to Radioactiveman:

didnt crawl out of bed til 8am

Cracking weather in the valley. Low cloud,breezy and cool up top. Perfect weather for a 2 hour carry !

Few people were amazed to see what they seemed to think was a road bike up on the summit,I was too knackered to explain what a cross bike is.

Cracking ride,the descent down the coach road was ace if a little hard on the hands, I had to stop a couple of time because I could no longer hold the bars

Overall a great route and brilliant carrying training.
 Brass Nipples 26 Aug 2013

Better the other way around, up coach road onto the end the ridge, along to Helvelkyn, keep going, drop down to Grizedale tarn then turn right past seat sandal and down to Grasmete. Very little carrying that way.
In reply to Beat me to it!:

Cheers for the suggestion,probablky sounds odd but planned it as carrying practice.

Surprised how many other people were out but I guess it was bank holiday,unusual to see any bikes up high
 Dark-Cloud 27 Aug 2013
In reply to Radioactiveman: I would have thought that you would want to practice carrying for the 3 peaks after maximum exertion from pedalling, that's the hard transition, not carrying for 2 hours.

As you are in Kendal laps of the back of the Helm and a carry up from the Station Inn end would be more beneficial as focussed training.

But if you just wanted to summit Helvellyn on a sunny day on the cross bike then that's fine I suppose, each to their own and all that !

cheers for the suggestion will probably save it for a poor weather day, does the helm have bridleways on it ?

wanted to get out for a long ride as well. a mate who does the 3 peaks recommended it and said he has found longer carries better than short intervals, but guess its a matter of finding what works best

Dark-Cloud 27 Aug 2013
In reply to Radioactiveman: Actually, apologies, no, I thought you could cycle on it but it appears it's Open Access only so it's no go !
 steveriley 28 Aug 2013
Sounds like a great day out in the hills - don't get carried away with the carrying. The longest carry should be a lot less than 2 hours! That said, most of my training is on the mighty pimples of north Cheshire so you'll be a lot better prepared than me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...