UKC

Tell me where to go at Christmas...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 25 Aug 2013
I'm not really clued up on resorts so tell me where we should go along with accommodation suggestions if poss. It'll likely just be me and the missus.

We want to sort it ourselves rather than book a package to save a few bob.
We are happy with basic, self catering accommodation but we want cheap(ish), clean and quiet.
The good lady likes harder pistes and easy off-piste.
I like off-piste but am likely to be on my own for some of it so places with easily accessable stuff are good.
We've been to Espace Killy, Val Thoren and Verbier and would rather go somewhere else although VT is an option if you know of some kick ass accomodation as we didn't get much done there last time.

Over to you UKC!
Removed User 25 Aug 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

If you don't need to be resort based, try;

http://www.alpineaccomodation.com/#/skiing/4532428454
 TomDisomma 25 Aug 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

Serre chevelier is a good bet, it's near briancon on on the boarder of France and Italy.

Look into alpe d'huez, good pistes, very accessible off piste which is often untouched. Although if your going off piste please don't thnk because you can see a lift you're safe.

If you don't have all the gear and know how to use it I can't stress enough not going off piste. For someone only 20 I know too many people who thought they knew better, some were lucky, some weren't.

Although Tinges val Thorens, val disere are all fantastic lift systems they're often too crowded.

But if you really want to push yourself then Chamonix all the way!
 TomDisomma 25 Aug 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

As for accomodation in val Thorens, I'd advise hotel tango, it's owned by a Swedish tour operator but crystal takes guests there, it's a 4 start hotel that's rated itself 3 on purpose, rather be a high end 3 than an average 4. They have live music most nights, spa etc. all completely refurbished last year.
 Cuthbert 25 Aug 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

Tignes!

Forget Serre Chevalier, too tame for you. Book an appartment in the Palafour building in Tignes Le Lac (the main bit) which is at 2100m. Get flight to GVA and transfer is 4 hours (Ben's Bus).

Or fly to Chambery but many fewer flights.
Graeme G 25 Aug 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

"Tell me where to go at Christmas..."

If you send me a reminder nearer the time I'll happily tell you where to go.
OP DaveHK 25 Aug 2013
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

Ho Ho Ho.
 TomDisomma 25 Aug 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

Serre chevelier is as tame as you make it, I've skied some big lines there.

Tinges is nice but will get tracked out super quickly. plus the abundance of kids tends to clog the slopes. Although I'll give it to them, a seriously good lift system. Possible the best in France.
 Morgan Woods 25 Aug 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

I've heard good things about Alagna. Nice and quiet, plenty of good off-piste.
 GraB 26 Aug 2013
In reply to DaveHK:
Dave,
I reckon Puy St Vincent or Vallouise sounds like it would suit. Lots of easily accessed off piste, and some really nice stuff with a short hike. Been there a couple of times (with the mrs only the first time and a small group of mixed ability the second time). There's some great tree skiing between the runs and a really good bowl over the back of PSV (short hike off the top lift).

Just dropped you a text with a couple of other suggestions.

Did you get anywhere with your skis ? Decide on anything ?

G
aligibb 26 Aug 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

Hi Dave, I'm slightly biased (I live here!) but Chatel in the Portes du Soleil is great... (I came for a season 7 years ago and am still here, and still not skied it all!) theres a really good variety of pistes, and lots of accessible off piste, both easy and harder stuff.
Plenty of good value S/C apartments, and only 1 1/2 hrs from GVA or an easy drive from Calais.
PM me if you want some more info and help with accom.
Ali
Flat4matt 26 Aug 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

Ditto the above comment.

Anywhere on the portes du soleil. Such a vast amount of area to go at!! We(me and the GF) normally stay in avoriaz in basic s/c accomodation(proper ski in ski out!) we are only in there to get our heads down, the rest of the time we are either on(or off!) the piste or on the piss!!!!!!!! The thing with avoriaz is that its pretty central in the PDS area which suits us.

Been skiing to quite a few different places and PDS is the best so far with runs and off piste to suite anyone really.

JuneBob 26 Aug 2013
In reply to DaveHK:
If you want easily accessible side-country with some kick-ass lines go to Zermatt. A bit pricey but full of people whose idea of a day out skiing is to traverse between the lift station and the nearest mountain restaurant. Almost everything off piste is untouched and it is very good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...