UKC

Flats that don't seem to be punctures?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 25 Aug 2013
I was out this morning on my bike photographing a half marathon in Fleetwood. Going along the prom, which at that point was poured concrete slabs with rough joins, I suddenly felt that I hit a bigger gap between slabs and got that spongy feeling of losing a lot of pressure in my front tire. It didn't go completely flat, but probably went from 100psi to 10psi I was probably doing 40kph on 23mm tires. I stopped, put as much air in the tire as I could with my little pump and continued. I have just pumped it back to 100psi with my track pump.

Is this normal? It is not something I have experienced before.
 ClimberEd 25 Aug 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

Same thing happened to my coach in a tt yesterday but he was running tubs.

Might well be a valve issue.
 Radioactiveman 25 Aug 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

hmmm sounds odd, could be a bizarre self sealing pinch. pull the tube out ,take note how it is orientated on the tyre/rim.(allows point of damage to be checked on rim/trye easilky)

do the bathtub/sink check and go from there. Most confusing one I had was a wheel that the rim tape was too thin and I kept puncturing on the spoke beds until Iworked that one out
 malk 25 Aug 2013
In reply to The New NickB: had something similar recently- seemed to be a spoke end breaking through the rim strip in my case..
 malk 25 Aug 2013
In reply: come to think of it, the puncture location didn't have much of a protruding spoke, but did have sharp nut ends and noticed holes in the rim tape at other spoke locations when i stretched it..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...