UKC

Sheffield eateries

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RedFive 25 Aug 2013
Heading to Sheffield next week for a few days to have a bash at Stanage for the first time.

Staying at Hilton Sheffield, any recommendations for good, quality, cheap (I know, pick two) Italians, or other eateries?

Cheers

Ken

Bonus points for a must do route for up to v.diff leader......(got BMC Stanage guide)
 Timmd 25 Aug 2013
In reply to DefenderKen: There's one at the top of Crookes, bit of a trek from town, but it's friendly and freshly cooked and tasty, will check out the name and phone number when I cycle past it in 20 minutes, so you can ring for prices.

It's a tiny place, and almost worth going just for the friendly atmosphere I think.
 Timmd 25 Aug 2013
In reply to DefenderKen: You have to book, mind you.
 Muel 25 Aug 2013
In reply to DefenderKen:

"Ask" near Barker's Pool. Nothing especially special but pretty good quality and reasonably priced. Pizzas are awesome. All meals £7-15

Other eateries: Devonshire Cat, so far the best pub food I've had in Sheffield. (Living here 3 years). All meals £7-15, awesome selection of ales. Home made pies are particularly good.

Really though, you should check out the pubs closer to the crags. The Millstone is very decent (try anything with one of their mashed potato options). The Little John in Hathersage is my favourite though, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. Average, dependable, ordinary quality pub food served in massive portions for a reasonable price. (You probably won't finish the mixed grill, but it's worth trying).

Routes: My favorite Stanage route is October Crack (diff). People will say Flying Buttress, but it's horrid really. It's polished so much that it's slippier than most limestone routes. I haven't done much on Stanage but I would definitely recommend October Crack.
 Alyson 25 Aug 2013
In reply to DefenderKen: For a decent independent Italian in the city centre, I'd recommend BB's:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186364-d800405-Reviews-BB_s...

For other cuisines, my top picks would be Cubana on Trippet Lane (authentic Cuban/Brazilian tapas, fantastic atmosphere) and The Rutland Arms (fabulous food and real ales).
 Fredt 25 Aug 2013
In reply to DefenderKen:

Crookes is good for value food, or London Road and Abbeydale Road, its all a bit 'dust and drizzle' near the Hilton.

Best VDiff? - Heaven Crack

Also recommended are Black Hawk Traverse Left, Hollybush Crack.

Flying Buttress is to be avoided, two short pitches separated by an interminable escapable stance figuring out the only crux move.
 alasdair19 25 Aug 2013
In reply to DefenderKen: the legendary noodle inn London road. Or dim sum further up for.something smarter. Also the Turkish kebab places on the same street.

Best Indian is mangla.in spital hill service can ne slow but the mutton curry is remarkable.
 Alyson 26 Aug 2013
In reply to alasdair19: Ooh, good choices. The Turkish kebab places (Zeugma) are fantastic, even if a spark from one of the barbecues did land in my handbag last time...! I love the variety of cuisines you get down London Road.
 mwr72 26 Aug 2013
In reply to DefenderKen:

I haven't eaten out in Sheffield for a few years, but London road was the best place to be, a restaurant from just about every nationality.
In reply to alasdair19:
> (In reply to DefenderKen) the legendary noodle inn London road. Or dim sum further up for.something smarter. Also the Turkish kebab places on the same street.
>
> Best Indian is mangla.in spital hill service can ne slow but the mutton curry is remarkable.

Dont you have to be a bit careful enjoying a night out near Spital Hill?
 Axel Smeets 26 Aug 2013
In reply to DefenderKen:

http://www.thebroadfield.co.uk/

This place is well worth a visit. Good drinks selection and superb daily pie menu. Not too far way from the city centre either.
In reply to DefenderKen:

London Road & Heaven Crack is all you need to know.
 LakesWinter 26 Aug 2013
In reply to DefenderKen:
Vitos, Walkley is the best Italian in the town. Routes, do Heaven Crack, Hollybush Crack, Black Hawk Traverse and October Crack and you'll have had a good day out.
 Fredt 26 Aug 2013
In reply to LakesWinter:
> (In reply to DefenderKen)
> Vitos, Walkley is the best Italian in the town.

I have to disagree with you there.
 LakesWinter 26 Aug 2013
In reply to Fredt: where is better then? i need to go!
 Axel Smeets 26 Aug 2013
In reply to LakesWinter:
> (In reply to Fredt) where is better then? i need to go!

Marco at Milano

www.marcoatmilano.com
 Mick Ward 26 Aug 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

> Dont you have to be a bit careful enjoying a night out near Spital Hill?

Part of the charm, mate, part of the charm...

< To the OP > Few pints in the Broadie (unless it's full of worthless wannabes), curry at Spital Hill (echoes of Bradford) and (as has been suggested) Heaven Crack, 'cos it's downright heavenly.

'My first love was Heaven Crack. When I grew up, she became Right Unconquerable.' (Or something to that effect. Jim Perrin)

Mick (not that I've been in these parts for ages and so probably haven't a clue what I'm talking about.)

Matt Rees 26 Aug 2013
In reply to Axel Smeets:

seconded Marco's. Fantastic place. Not cheap though!
OP RedFive 26 Aug 2013
In reply to DefenderKen:

Thanks guys UKC restores my faith in humanity. Great romp up Stepped Ridge, brown cove crags Helvellyn today.....next stop Sheffield and first taste of world famous Peak grit......
 Jackwd 26 Aug 2013
In reply to Axel Smeets: Seconded. Friendly staff. Great food. Big portions. Good value. I had a pork roast in the there and i'm pretty sure I had half a hog on my plate.
 Alyson 26 Aug 2013
In reply to DefenderKen:
>
> ...next stop Sheffield and first taste of world famous Peak grit......

Not sure anywhere mentioned actually serves that...

In reply to LakesWinter:
> Vitos, Walkley is the best Italian in the town.

I live 100 yards from Vito's and I've only been once. I had a thoroughly underwhelming pizza and Vito himself failed to even acknowledge my girlfriend's existence, let alone actually speak to her. I had to order on her behalf. What a tit.

He does, however, make quite nice Italian sausages that the butcher next door sells from time to time.

mark20 27 Aug 2013
Black Hawk Traverse Left, Heaven Crack then beer and pie in the Broadfield on the way back
 LakesWinter 27 Aug 2013
In reply to victim of mathematics: It's funny how people have really different experiences of places isn't it - loads of people rate the Cricketers in SW Sheffield but I thought it was shite and over priced
 LakesWinter 27 Aug 2013
In reply to Axel Smeets: Thanks for the recommendation, will check it out
 malky_c 27 Aug 2013
In reply to Axel Smeets:
>
> http://www.thebroadfield.co.uk/
>
> This place is well worth a visit. Good drinks selection and superb daily pie menu. Not too far way from the city centre either.

In my limited knowledge of Sheffield, that and Zeugma would get my vote easily.
 deepsoup 27 Aug 2013
In reply to mark20:
> ...then beer and pie in the Broadfield on the way back

If the plan is beer without pie on the other hand, the Sheaf View is a much nicer pub than the Broadie.
 dunc56 27 Aug 2013
In reply to DefenderKen: If you like Sushi and other Japanese food try Yama - good food and not expensive. It's on London Road.
http://www.yamasushi.org.uk/

There's all other food very close to there on London road.

Noodle Inn.

Fish and Chips - at least 2 to chose from.

Baked potato shop.

Pho 68 - chinese restaurant.

ETC ETC
In reply to deepsoup:
> (In reply to mark20)
> [...]
>
> If the plan is beer without pie on the other hand, the Sheaf View is a much nicer pub than the Broadie.

Or the Blake in Walkley. Owned by the same people as the Sheaf View, but with a better whisky selection and a better class of clientele
andic 27 Aug 2013
In reply to DefenderKen:
>
> Staying at Hilton Sheffield,

You are perfectly placed to visit the ponds forge cafe
 Fredt 27 Aug 2013
In reply to LakesWinter:
> (In reply to victim of mathematics) It's funny how people have really different experiences of places isn't it - loads of people rate the Cricketers in SW Sheffield but I thought it was shite and over priced

Have to agree with you on the Cricket Inn. Richard Smith is taking over a lot of pubs in Sheffield, and serving trendy burgers on a roof tile with chips on a plank of wood. As my dear old mother-in-law said, 'Haven't they got any f*cking plates?

He has places at Broomhill and Crosspool too. But the worse crime ever is that he seems to have a deal with Thornbridge Breweries, he puts their beer in every pub. Just like the food, it's shite and over priced.

deepsoup 27 Aug 2013
In reply to victim of mathematics:
> Or the Blake in Walkley.

I'll grudingly concede that the Blake is a *slightly* better pub than even the Sheaf. :o{

As the OP is staying at the Hilton (lah-di-dah) it'd probably be more helpful to mention the Kelham Island Tavern and the Fat Cat, an easy walk away from the hotel. (Or an easy stagger back to it.)
 Axel Smeets 27 Aug 2013
In reply to Fredt:
> (In reply to LakesWinter)
> [...]

Just like the food, it's shite and over priced

+1

Too closely linked to A4E too. I avoid wherever possible.
In reply to deepsoup: But make sure you don't go to the Sheaf by mistake
 deepsoup 27 Aug 2013
In reply to Graeme Alderson:
> But make sure you don't go to the Sheaf by mistake

<shudder> That's why I was careful to say Sheaf View.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...