UKC

1 month til the Alps - what to train.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Last minute decision to visit friends in the Alps. Cue sudden realisation I am out of shape. I have a reasonable fitness already but I haven't been to the climbing gym in about 12 months and only had a few days 'real' climbing on Gogarth and the likes.

Would it be more benficial to me to get down to the gym or get doing some Cardio given I will have less than a week to acclimatise for some routes?

Intention is to (weather permitting) do the Frendo plus some other rock routes in the area and maybe some trail running.
 beardy mike 26 Aug 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: I'd not hard climbing, so I'd say cardio so your lungs are in better shape... that and climbing at speed to get used to climbing fast?
 AMarchant 27 Aug 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

You sound like a punter!!

Maybe you'll need this too
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=5714

Just get plenty of ascent in. Aim for a few thousand metres each week. The more the better. Do some big link up traverses scrambling and moving fast. Snowdon horseshoe from Tryfan North ridge etc.

Climbing wall will be pointless.
cb294 27 Aug 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

Increase your crap weather tolerance? Summer appears to be over for the moment, but let´s hope for a golden September....

CB
 icarus82 27 Aug 2013
Drag a tractor tyre down the beach with a plastic bag over your head.

Punter!
 nniff 27 Aug 2013
In reply to icarus82:
> Drag a tractor tyre down the beach with a plastic bag over your head.
>
> Punter!

and drag it back again
deleted user 27 Aug 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: I think training should involve pulling hard at the cromlech boulders followed by 10 x 6 star jumps. Then a run up to Dinas Mot , followed by a good old game of chicken on snowdon railway track.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...