UKC

Pink Floyd night - BBC R2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 26 Aug 2013
Tonight from 20.00, inc full playing of DSOTM
Channel 702 on freeview tellyboxes
enjoy!
In reply to wilkie14c: I haven't got a telly...booooooooo
OP wilkie14c 26 Aug 2013
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:
Radio?
Internet obviously so get it on the iplayer and listen live?
sit in car listening?
Stand outside radio rentals?

I'm giving you options here man
 The Lemming 26 Aug 2013
In reply to wilkie14c:

What would you consider to be the finest Floyd track, or indeed any album?
In reply to The Lemming: It's impossible to say but I like Meddle, Saucerful of Secrets, Obscured by Clouds and obviously DSOTM...
 gd303uk 26 Aug 2013
In reply to Nicholas Livesey: I agree it is impossible to choose, but my fav' set is Pompeii ,

youtube.com/watch?v=K2UxVVo8UIg&

In reply to wilkie14c:
> (In reply to Nicholas Livesey)
> Radio?
> Internet obviously so get it on the iplayer and listen live?
> sit in car listening?
> Stand outside radio rentals?
>
> I'm giving you options here man

I'm sitting in the Bryn Tyrch...not sure they'd dig Ummagumma!
In reply to gd303uk:
> (In reply to Nicholas Livesey) I agree it is impossible to choose, but my fav' set is Pompeii ,
>
>
> youtube.com/watch?v=K2UxVVo8UIg&

Yep, brilliant...

woolsack 26 Aug 2013
In reply to Nicholas Livesey:
> (In reply to wilkie14c)
> [...]
>
> I'm sitting in the Bryn Tyrch...not sure they'd dig Ummagumma!

Wait till they play Animals, sure they'll approve of the sheep
OP wilkie14c 26 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to wilkie14c)
>
> What would you consider to be the finest Floyd track, or indeed any album?

Bit of a curveball here but I quite like the division bell
 lost1977 26 Aug 2013
In reply to gd303uk:

live at Pompeii represented the best of Floyd
In reply to lost1977:
> (In reply to gd303uk)
>
> live at Pompeii represented the best of Floyd

Agreed
 fizz 26 Aug 2013
In reply to wilkie14c:

alternate 'inspired by Floyd' session now on BBC 6 Music (running parallel with the R2 one) worth playing on Listen Again too ...
 SophieEmily 26 Aug 2013
In reply to lost1977: Totally agree with that! Floyd at their best!
In reply to lost1977:
> (In reply to gd303uk)
>
> live at Pompeii represented the best of Floyd

I'd agree, but cannot help think that DSOTM would be by far the best if it were not so overexposed.

Rob Naylor 27 Aug 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Ummagumma and Meddle are my favourite albums. Third would be Piper At The Gates of Dawn, with DSOTM coming in at no 4. I don't like The Division Bell much.

It's surprising how much of DSOTM you can hear echoes of ( ) in Meddle.
In reply to Rob Naylor:

I used to like Ummagumma but it sounds a bit ego-centric these days. Meddle was definitely a precursor to DSOTM rather than the latter being a huge shift in direction/focus as it is often made out to be.

What I've noticed with the move to digital media is that DSOTM seems much emptier sound wise than similar albums made in more recent years. I can't remember if it sounded the same back in the 1970s.

ALC
 Rourke 27 Aug 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber:

I am a fan of the albums from Meddle through to the Wall but my favourite is Animals

I agree about DSOTM being potentially overexposed and it is probably the one I listen to least

Another I really like is Waters first solo album, The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking
 Euge 27 Aug 2013
In reply to wilkie14c: Did anyone listen to the play at 10pm.
I just did on catch up and it is sooo boring, turned off half way.

Listening to the show that was on before it now, The Ultimate PF Playlist.

My favourite PF is Meddle.

Going to see Roger Waters do The Wall in Dublin next month.
I have seen PF twice (in 1988 and 1989)but never saw Roger. Can't wait...

E
 lost1977 27 Aug 2013
In reply to Euge:

actually i enjoyed the play, only seen PF live once and that was at live8
 Blue Straggler 27 Aug 2013
In reply to Euge:

The play was the only thing I heard (well I "had the radio on whilst doing loads of other stuff"). It was beyond boring, it was wretched.

Mind you I am not particularly a Floyd fan, especially DSOTM onward!
Seen them live in 94 at Earl's Court (Division Bell tour aka wallet-fattening tour), given the animosity between Waters and the rest of them I thought that playing a load of stuff off The Wall was a bit lacking in integrity
OP wilkie14c 27 Aug 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
I was at Earls with my sister in 94 too, we could have been stood together and never knew, how about that! lol
Yea the play was pretty lame, Ethics-man could have been anyone one of a number of UKCers though
In reply to wilkie14c:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
> I was at Earls with my sister in 94 too, we could have been stood together and never knew, how about that! lol

Hah, they played 14.5 nights (I was there on the "replacement" night after that stand collapsed, a mate was working on the box office and got us "cheap" tickets for £15, you probably can't see a Floyd Tribute band for £15 these days. Downside was that my seat was behind a concrete post! How can they put seats in concert arenas BEHIND CONCRETE POSTS?!

Saw them in 1977 at Stafford Bingley Hall on the Animals tour then again in 94 at Earl's Court the weekend after the stand collapse.

ALC
PopShot 27 Aug 2013
In reply to wilkie14c: I have always avoided Pink Floyd's music and their fans. I just cannot abide drugs, druggy music, music influenced by drugs or music designed to take drugs to. The whole thing is immoral and seedy.
OP wilkie14c 27 Aug 2013
In reply to PopShot:
> (In reply to wilkie14c) I have always avoided Pink Floyd's music and their fans. I just cannot abide drugs, druggy music, music influenced by drugs or music designed to take drugs to. The whole thing is immoral and seedy.

Yes thats fair enough but don't forget that you have a track record of seeing things differently to 99% of the population
In reply to PopShot:
> (In reply to wilkie14c) I have always avoided Pink Floyd's music and their fans.

Exactly how do you know to avoid their fans? Can you sense when someone is a Pink Floyd fan?

> I just cannot abide drugs, druggy music, music influenced by drugs or music designed to take drugs to. The whole thing is immoral and seedy.

What music do you like? What if you found that its record sales were making an executive enough money to feed his huge cocaine habit?

In reply to PopShot:
> (In reply to wilkie14c) I have always avoided Pink Floyd's music and their fans.

Thinking about it, you are doing an awful job of avoiding their fans, by posting on a thread titled "Pink Floyd night - BBC R2"
OP wilkie14c 27 Aug 2013
> (In reply to PopShot)
> [...]
>
> Thinking about it, you are doing an awful job of avoiding their fans, by posting on a thread titled "Pink Floyd night - BBC R2"

KABOOM! You just won the internet for that blue :-D
In reply to wilkie14c:

can't have won the whole Internet, it was far too easy, it's only PopShot after all. I bet I've only won the .biz domain.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...