UKC

Chamonix-long stay

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lubo 27 Aug 2013
I had an idea about going to Chamonix, probably january 2014, to get an idea of bigger mountains activities, and to gain more experience in mountains, in that particular outdoor lifestyle, sports, and also I want to do photography there...mostly of the sport (skiing). And I want to meet people with similar interests, who would maybe show me the place, who would probablu would take me on some ski trip with them, or something like this... The idea was, to stay there longer than just one, or two weeks...probably month or something like that, but I am not rich, so I would have to keep the price at the minimum as possible. So I would probably would have to get someone to share the room with...or share the car, when traveling there from UK. It is all, just my idea in a head...an now on the internet forum as well, so it is all open. My questions are, if anyone of you have done something similar before, or if there is anyone who is going to do it in the future? Am I too naive? Is it unrealistic? Would it be very very expensive to stay for that long? Or is it just too stupid to learn some ski touring in the place like Chamonix? (I am considering myself as a good skier, but I have never skied in 'open mountains' )
I just want to hear (read) anything, what you think about the idea, or give me some advice, as I was never in Chamonix before.
OP Lubo 06 Sep 2013
Nothing? really?
 mchardski 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Lubo:

Ok i,ll give it shot since you look lonely. of course you can go to Cham this winter and i,m sure you,ll do fine, just turn up, or have a look on snowheads or some ski forums etc too to find people to share with. But my 2p worth is that Chamonix is basically an equivalent of a ski city. If i was turning up in the Uk and wanting to meet people i wouldn't go to London, i,d go to the countryside. Likewise, Cham is not probabaly the easist place to make new buddies, and not the easist place to learn off piste skiing, and it certainly isn't the cheapest.

i,d try La Grave if i were you. don't belive all the crap written about it on tinternet.

Gd luck!
Cash 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Lubo:
this website may help with accommodation etc

www.chamsocial.com
T.enClimb 16 Sep 2013
In reply to Lubo:
It is true that it is not the easiest place to find partners. BUT you can live very Cheap if you do it the right way. Food climbing gear is not more expensive than anywhere else. The things killing your budget is lift and accomodation. I am living in Argentiere currently and i am possibly looking for a flatmate in January. So if you are interested or need some other advice shoot me a message
 John Cuthbert 16 Sep 2013
In reply to Lubo: It really is amazing what some people say on here..

La Grave would be a desperate, unforgiving and lonely place to learn your off piste trade.

Cham is a completley differnt ball game. It's super easy to drop into the scene, and thousnds do it every winter, largely living from hand to mouth.

Its also possible to find your own ski level. Cham has super amounts of interesting off piste to explore without any big mountain commitment. Many folk skill up this way. I did...

Just do it. You wont regret it.

Ive 12 Cham winter seasons under the belt by the way.

JC

frqnt 16 Sep 2013
In reply to Lubo:
I'm heading over with similar aspirations, albeit maybe slightly more ambitious; ice climbing, alpine faces and ski mountaineering.

I'll be staying in Cham for three week's from 7 February so if you'd like to link up feel free to get in contact.
 frqnt 16 Sep 2013
In reply to John Cuthbert:

> Cham has super amounts of interesting off piste to explore without any big mountain commitment. Many folk skill up this way. I did...

Can you recommend some skimo/touring I can do on my own if I can't find a partner? Or can you point me in the direction of a decent guide book?

Ta
 whodat 16 Sep 2013
In reply to Lubo:

I'm also considering a similar thing this Dec thru Feb and would like to do some climbing and ski mountaineering in addition to off piste. Went out skiing for a few days this spring to get a feel for the place and think finding partners should be fine after making a first few connections.
OP Lubo 17 Sep 2013
In reply to frqnt:
Ehm, no more amitious, I just didnt want to name it all, as I was worried it will sound a bit stupid, that I want to learn everything over one winter. Do you alredy have some plan? If yes, can you send me an email?
JonAA 17 Sep 2013
In reply to:

I am also moving over to Chamonix this winter. Feel free to send me an email.

John Cuthbert 17 Sep 2013
In reply to frqnt: Check out Anselme Baud's 'Mont Blanc..A Guide for Skiers'.. for multiple touring ideas.

Gnerally the best solo options tend to be least wind-blown and little crevassed. That's most of the non-steep stuff from the Argentiere glacier. I do them regularly en solo..

Otherwise you could just tag along with the v crowds on best weekends in the Aiguilles Rouges.

Dont forget to be fully equipped what ever you do however.
JC
craigloon 17 Sep 2013
In reply to Lubo:

After dreaming about it for 35 years, I am doing this with a friend mid Feb - mid April. Just do it Lubo, you won't regret it. Have been to Cham many times, it is the perfect venue for what you are proposing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...