UKC

Oh well . I failed .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
SethChili 28 Aug 2013
So my welsh 3000ers attempt did't quite go to plan .
The friend I was doing it with was a very slow scrambler and cautious scree descender , which made doing crib goch a bit like watching a slow motion movie .
Then just as I thought we were picking up speed , I did something to my right thigh jumping over a boggy patch and my flexible trail running shoes let me feel EVERY tiny rock and edge underfoot which meant that by the time we were at the summit of Elidir Fawr I was in no fit state to run anywhere and walking on anything but smooth paths was agony . Basically my feet felt like they had been pounded by a hammer several thousand times . We pulled out and descended into the Ogwen valley where our support car was.
A shame , because I was fit enough , we were well supplied and making good time . And I wanted to finish the challenge . I'll be back . With tougher shoes .
 martinph78 28 Aug 2013
In reply to SethChili: It's a shame you failed, but at least you learned from it.

We did Pinnacle Ridge on Skye on Saturday and both of us were thankful we were in leather boots and not approach shoes. Light isn't always right.
 Banned User 77 28 Aug 2013
In reply to Martin1978: feet are fine in fell shoes.. they just need conditioning.. I did the winter paddy buckley, 62 miles, 8000m of ascent over rocky terrain in a fairly light running shoe.
 Simon Caldwell 28 Aug 2013
In reply to SethChili:
Do you mean trail running shoes? I'd go for fell shoes for this route, much better grip - and they give you much less padding than trail shoes. Like Iain says, they do take a bit of getting used to.
In reply to Martin1978: But this is in the running forum.. so he's aiming to run it.
 martinph78 28 Aug 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Martin1978) But this is in the running forum.. so he's aiming to run it.

Fair point, my mistake. I thought it was climbing/scrambling, not sure why I clicked on it.

In which case I change my response to:

Man-up!

The New NickB 28 Aug 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

What did you use Iain? I thought my Salomon Speed Cross were great for Welsh 3000, although it was more fast walk than run, I think they are lousy for fell running. Alternatively my X-Talon 190s are great on my local muddy fell terrain, but my feet feet very vulnerable in them on rocky terrain. I did a lot of damage to one foot after a minor slip on Ill Bell.
In reply to The New NickB: Yeah the 190's are very thin. I used them in a mountain race in Slovenia the last 5 miles of 26 were downhill on stony paths and my feet were sore.

Mudclaw 300s.

I live SC's.. great all round shoe but not so good on the more felly sections like you say.
 steveriley 28 Aug 2013
In reply to The New NickB:
I know what you mean - I damaged my heel at Breidden Hills on a pointy-rocky descent in 190s. Great shoes but, you know, horses for courses.
 mbh 28 Aug 2013
In reply to SethChili:

Hey, never mind, you gave it a go and are better placed for the next attempt.

I tried legs 1 and 2 of a BGR attempt that also didn't go to plan in an old pair of Inov8 Roclites, that I am not used to running in, and had very sore shins after 4 hours or so, so much so that I had to stop.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...