UKC

Any Canon (5D mk3) experts here?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm having a big problem!!

I recently bought a 32 gig CF card (topram) for my 5D mk3. I've only used SDHC cards before. Putting the CF card in causes the camera to totally fail. No menu, no nothing.

The only way to reboot it is to take the battery out, also the time and date battery, and to leave it for 30 mins plus, before reassembling.

I'd be happy to only use SDHC cards from now on, if that meant it would carry on working as normal. But if anyone could let me know why this may be happening, and what I can do about it, I'd be a happy bunny.

Many thanks in advance.

SG.
 london_huddy 29 Aug 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

Can't help except to suggest calling an authorised Canon service centre- I use Fixation in London 0207 582 3294.
In reply to stroppygob: Cheers Andrew, (but I'm based in Canberra!)
 chris fox 29 Aug 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

Call up D D photographics in Sydney. They are very helpful with camera info.

http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/
 rallymania 29 Aug 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

before you do anything else

does the card work correctly in a card reader on your computer or any other device?

http://www.dicksmith.com.au/memory-cards/dick-smith-multi-format-card-reade...

probably not the cheapest place you can buy one but that type of thing would be a useful addition to your kit

plug the card in to your computer and format if required (a 32gb card i think you can get away with fat32 but if you have the option of exFAT go for that) then copy a large amount of data onto the card to prove it works (atleast 75% full)

also what speed is your card

CF has been around for a while so the multiplier you need is much higher. loads of info suggest you probably want a 1000x or 120Mb/s card depending on what you are doing (this is just general info not specific to your camera) eg if i plug a class 6 SDHC card into my 600d it won't work, but a class 10 card is fine.

hope some of that is of use.
In reply to rallymaniA; Thanks mate, but it's already on its way back to the seller. They offered me a full refund post haste, so I think they may have known they had faults.

I'll buy a decent card and see if that works.
estivoautumnal 03 Sep 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

I've just bought a 5D and have had no issues with cards. As you have said, buy a decent card. Having spent a few quid on a good camera it's not worth skimping on the memory. 2 x 32Gb should be enough but be prepared to spend £60 (or equivalent) on each.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...