UKC

Value of art by Rolf Harris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cameron94 29 Aug 2013
I suspect the value for artwork done by Harris will now plummet seen as charges have been leveled at him.

Bit of a shame really as he did some very worthwhile paintings.

If you own anything by him will you be getting rid of it?
I'm curious as we have this http://tinyurl.com/nqjgvd8 in our living room but will be taking it down.

If it's true though then he can get what he deserves...
 teflonpete 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Cameron94:

Either the link is broken or Google images have already taken Harris's pictures down.

Personally, if I like a picture I like a picture, rather than particularly following the artist who painted it. I don't think I'd take down a picture I really liked, but I can understand people wanting to disassociate themselves from his art if the allegations are true.
 Trangia 29 Aug 2013
In reply to teflonpete:

Hitler's art fetches quite good money, and if you can disassociate yourself from the individual it is quite good.
 Postmanpat 29 Aug 2013
In reply to teflonpete:
> (In reply to Cameron94)
>
>
> Personally, if I like a picture I like a picture, rather than particularly following the artist who painted it. I don't think I'd take down a picture I really liked, but I can understand people wanting to disassociate themselves from his art if the allegations are true.
>
I'll be taking down my Caravaggio and my Lowry collection (amongst others). My Lewis Carroll and Laurie Lee book collections are long gone....

doz generale 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to teflonpete)
>
> Hitler's art fetches quite good money, and if you can disassociate yourself from the individual it is quite good.

The thing about Hitlers art is that it's not particularly good and this contributed to him turning his had to world domination.
 Rob Exile Ward 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Cameron94: Christ the bloke has been charged, not convicted, there is a difference.

Yanis Nayu 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: But one of the charges was for making indecent images. I didn't think his paintings were THAT bad...
OP Cameron94 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: "If it's true though then he can get what he deserves..."

This I thought would convey that I know he hasn't be convicted/prosecuted merely charged. I still think that the value will drop, as they say "mud sticks".
 toad 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Cameron94: We did semi seriously think of buying one about 5 years ago. Some of his wildlife stuff is very good
In reply to Cameron94: But you've taken it off your wall anyway??? TBH I can't get inside the head of someone who does that so precipitately. Will you put it back if he's exonerated? Or burn it if he's guilty? Make sure children don't se it in case they get infected?
 Clarence 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Cameron94:

He painted the Queen, we should remove her from the throne as a precaution...
 MJ 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Clarence:

He painted the Queen

What colour did he paint her?
abseil 29 Aug 2013
In reply to MJ:
> He painted the Queen
>
> What colour did he paint her?

That reminds me of Phil Bagnall/ Phil the Hippie (anyone remember him?) - "It must take a lot of paint to paint mountains".
 teflonpete 29 Aug 2013
In reply to MJ:
> (In reply to Clarence)
>
> He painted the Queen
>
> What colour did he paint her?

Magnolia with a British Racing Green chimney breast.
 xplorer 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Cameron94:

Do we have to have topics about perverts on here.

I don't read the papers or watch the news, and the last thing I want to see on a climbing website is negative/sick topics.

Obviously I don't have to read them, but it gets hard when pretty much every other post is about perverts, murders and other bullshit

bleddynmawr 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Cameron94: Over 30 years ago I watched Rolf Harris paint a picture at a charity event in central London. He then tried to auction it off starting at £100. He had to go down to £20 and still it didn't sell. He refused to go lower and stomped off with the picture. It was a good picture but it was about 20 feet long by 8 feet high, and I think no-one had the room to put it up, or the energy to get it home on the tube. He got really famous some years later and I have occasionally regretted not buying it for £20. Perhaps my young self could discern something.....
 kwoods 29 Aug 2013
In reply to xplorer: Well you are in "Off Belay". If you want to see nothing but climbing you can change what you see in your account settings.
In reply to xplorer: Interesting post.
 Sir Chasm 29 Aug 2013
In reply to xplorer: Ffs, he's only a pervert if he's found guilty.
 Tom Last 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Cameron94:

>
>
> I'm curious as we have this http://tinyurl.com/nqjgvd8 in our living room but will be taking it down.
>
>

Probably wise to take that down regardless!
In reply to Sir Chasm: What if he gets off by perverting the course of justice? Eh?
 Sir Chasm 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Rob Exile Ward: Depends whether he does it by nobbling the jury.
 Offwidth 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Trangia:

One of the sneakiest and quickest Goodwin's Law entries I've seen. Well done.
Wiley Coyote2 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:
> (In reply to Sir Chasm) What if he gets off by perverting the course of justice? Eh?

It depends on the verdict. Do you know what it is yet?

xplorer 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Sir Chasm:
> (In reply to xplorer) Ffs, he's only a pervert if he's found guilty.

I bet you wouldn't say the same about the Syrian government so called use of gas.

hypocrite

Sir Chasm 29 Aug 2013
In reply to xplorer:
> I bet you wouldn't say the same about the Syrian government so called use of gas.
>
> hypocrite

Rolf is badder than a thousand Syrian assassins.
 xplorer 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Sir Chasm:
> (In reply to xplorer)
> [...]
>
> Rolf is badder than a thousand Syrian assassins.

you said it chasm
 Tom Valentine 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Wiley Coyote:

Arf arf!
 wiwwim 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Wiley Coyote: why, it's a hairy swan.....
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to Trangia)
>
> One of the sneakiest and quickest Goodwin's Law entries I've seen. Well done.

http://www.goodwinslaw.com/main/default.asp

what's rolf got to do with them? are they defending him...?

;-P

gregor
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: After clicking on your link I may have to throw up.
 aln 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:
> (In reply to Cameron94) Christ the bloke has been charged, not convicted

Pontius the chap says you're wrong.
 Offwidth 30 Aug 2013
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

No these people are:

http://www.apostrophe.org.uk/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...