UKC

The Fuji X-E1 - SLR Killer?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 london_huddy 29 Aug 2013
Following this: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=560192&v=1#x7459455, I thought that I'd report back on the first proper trip out with the Fuji X-E1.

I was up in the Lakes over the bank hol weekend and had a night out up at Bowfell to take some snaps and get some running in and test out some new kit before the OMM. This was also a great chance to give the X-E1 a whirl.

The results are in my gallery, here http://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/author.html?id=41

My impressions of the camera, when used with the 18-55 lens are:
- Brilliant handling once you get used to where everything is
- EVF is great: I don't miss an optical viewfinder on this camera
- Snappy AF (with the latest firmware for the body and lenses) until it got pretty dark but the manual assist edge highlighting worked a treat
- Extremely impressive image quality up to around 1200 ISO: above this, noise is an issue
- The battery charge level indicator REALLY needs work. It went from full battery to paperweight in 5 seconds which is really poor. Spare batteries aren't expensive but I don't want to have to always have one in my pocket.

Should I have carried my 5d3 up with me and would I have got better images with it? Possibly - but I probably wouldn't have been able to run with it and a heavy lens in my bag.

It's still not that small either so won't replace my S95 as my go anywhere camera. I expect that carrying the SLR into the hills will now be reserved for special occasions.

Duncan_Andison 29 Aug 2013
In reply to london_huddy:

I've both the X-Pro1 and X-E1. Noise over 1200?!?! Images shot at 3200 easily pass quality checks at Alamy and Corbis. Even 6400 can be useable to a degree. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to using it up to 3200.

As for replacing an SLR..... yeah, fully agree. I've already sold my 5dmkii. The 14mm & 60mm also make superb landscape lenses as well. Both are razor sharp. And the red / flat batter indicator comes on very quickly after half way!

The tiny flash, EF-X20 is also worth looking at. Very powerful and easily fits in your pocket. You can trigger it with the onboard flash with the X-E1 for off camera use or TTL on the camera or with a Canon Cord.
OP london_huddy 29 Aug 2013
In reply to Duncan_Andison:

I'll work on my LR workflow - noise reduction is ok but not rendering well on export...
Removed User 29 Aug 2013

Cheers for the report back Andrew. I'll be getting mine next week
In reply to london_huddy: Give Capture One a spin. They do a 60 day free trial for both the Express and the Pro. You'll get a surprise at the difference when using the X Trans sensor. There's a lot more detail, better colour as well as finer sharpness and noise control. They just look a lot better without doing anything to be honest.

Forgot to add, I also used LR up until switching to Fuji. There are some very good export features in Capture One compared to LR as well. It's free to trial so worth a try.
 Run_Ross_Run 29 Aug 2013
I should hope so. Cant see how u can compare film to digital anyway.
 shaun walby 29 Aug 2013

Got the X-E1 good few months back now using it with the 18-55...impressive stuff for a smaller camera. When the going is easy both 5D2 and X-E1 get carried, if its steep hiking/climbing just the Fuji, great to have such good image quality in a lighter package.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...