UKC

Sigur Dros

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nik king 31 Aug 2013
Can anybody explain how a band as turgid as Sigur ros made it to the to of the bill at Jodrell Bank's latest transmission? The venue now holds an impressive double for me: best gig yet, Flaming Lips and dullest show ever, Sigur dros.
ice.solo 31 Aug 2013
In reply to nik king:

no idea. i like em, but agree they are challenging.

flaming lips huh. one of the best gigs ive seen too.
 jkarran 31 Aug 2013
In reply to nik king:

I thought it was pretty good. Not really my thing but I enjoyed it none the less. Surely it's just a matter of taste?

jk
 Tall Clare 31 Aug 2013
In reply to nik king:

I'm gutted I missed them - they're my favourite band, and they've been amazing when I've seen them live.

We're off to Jodrell Bank imminently for the Halle performance.
 stewieatb 31 Aug 2013
In reply to nik king:

Not everything is for you.
In reply to nik king:
> Can anybody explain how a band as turgid as Sigur ros made it to the to of the bill at Jodrell Bank's latest transmission? The venue now holds an impressive double for me: best gig yet, Flaming Lips and dullest show ever, Sigur dros.

Can anyone explain to me why a bland and uninventive bunch of pyschadelic rock revivalists, such as Flaming Lips, get to play Jodrell. Is it just due to their audience being to young to realise it's all been done before?Thanks.

Or to put it another way; de gustibus non est disputandum.
ice.solo 01 Sep 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

because they do it better than those came before. except maybe hawkwind, whove ive seen too and still think the flaming lips are a better show.
 aln 01 Sep 2013
In reply to stroppygob: What was the last Flaming Lips music you heard?
 aln 01 Sep 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
> (In reply to stroppygob)
>
> the flaming lips are a better show.
I've seen them 3 times now and every time it's been wonderful. A fun r'n'r party if that's all you want but there's deeper layers too.

ice.solo 01 Sep 2013
In reply to aln:

theyre coming to tokyo soon so hopefully gettin into that (a big following here).

hhave only seen them at a festival, and tho good, im thinking a smaller, more controllable venue will suit them better with their weird shit. maybe better crowd too - 10,000 tipsy whoevers in a field may not really be ideal, whereas 2,000 dedicated fabulous furry freaks compressed into a high tech tokyo auditorium gets me excited.

i have a fading 'lets go to mars not iraq' shirt from 2004 i intend to wear.
Missing my point guys; here we have it again

> Or to put it another way; de gustibus non est disputandum.
ice.solo 01 Sep 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> (In reply to nik king)
> [...]
>
> Can anyone explain to me why a bland and uninventive bunch of pyschadelic rock revivalists, such as Flaming Lips, get to play Jodrell. Is it just due to their audience being to young to realise it's all been done before?Thanks.
>
i thought that was your point.
In reply to ice.solo: Nope, I was countering the facile view that The Flaming Lips were in some way "more worthy" of playing there than Sigur Ros.

As I sad, (three times now)de gustibus non est disputandum.
ice.solo 01 Sep 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

my mistake. i thought you were asking why the flaming lips would play a genre music festival despite not being around in the 60s.

noted the throw away latin cliche the first time. and agree, you cant.
 Andy Moles 01 Sep 2013
In reply to nik king:

At their best Sigur Rós were phenomenal, but then I like melancholic keyboard loops and big noisy crescendos. Not too fond of their new album.

I don't get what the fuss is about with Flaming Lips, I've only heard Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi and thought they were ok.

I think it may be a matter of taste.
 The Pylon King 01 Sep 2013
In reply to nik king:

Smart arse advert music
 Bulls Crack 02 Sep 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
> (In reply to nik king)
>
> no idea. i like em, but agree they are challenging.
>
I'd like to like them but the only challenging thing I find about them is listening to the endless repetition of very slight meolodies. To me they sound initially atmospheric but on closer inspection there's very little there.
 Sankey 02 Sep 2013
In reply to nik king: Well I enjoyed it, and that's coming from someone who places Flaming Lips at Rock City at one of my favourite gigs. Curious, if you don't like Sigur Ros, how did you end up there? There seemed to be a good number of people who were engaged in loud conversations while Sigur Ros were on, completely ignoring the performance, bizarre. You can't blame a famously ethereal band for sounding delicate, the new stuff has a driving bass to it too. Any show that starts with a re-mix of the sounds Pulsars make while an illuminated 150 foot satellite dish swings into position has me anyway, and with two decent support acts and the science stuff was money well spent for me.

Jackwd 02 Sep 2013
In reply to nik king: I don't find this drossy at all. It raises the hair on the back of my spine everytime I watch it. youtube.com/watch?v=ESk10td-DAs&
 The New NickB 02 Sep 2013
In reply to stroppygob:
> (In reply to ice.solo)

> As I sad, (three times now)de gustibus non est disputandum.

Typo of the week!
In reply to The New NickB: LOL!! Mea culpa.
 Tom Last 02 Sep 2013
In reply to nik king:

I saw them at The Eden Project recently and they were very dull, walked out half way through. Everyone kept telling me after how I'd missed a great light show, which made me think they'd rather missed the point of a gig!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...