UKC

Solar charging

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rick Asher 31 Aug 2013
I'm heading to the Himalaya this year and I will be using an EOS 500d, can someone suggest the best method of recharging batteries for this camera?
 Mikkel 31 Aug 2013
In reply to Rick Asher:

Solar chargers are useless unless you got all the time in the world
Buy a bunch of spare batteries (third party ones) probably end up being cheaper than any solar chargers that actually work.
 Dan Arkle 01 Sep 2013
In reply to Mikkel:

I agree, I've just spent two weeks in the alps taking around 700 photos and didn't take a charger, just two spares from 7dayShop http://www.7dayshop.com/7dayshop-compatible-canon-lp-e8-digital-camera-batt...
In the end I didn't use either of the spares!

You can also help battery life a lot by keeping the LCD off whenever possible. Also. a big memory card also means you don't have to waste battery reviewing and deleting images to save space.
 adnix 01 Sep 2013
In reply to Rick Asher:

The best option is spare battery or two from Ebay.

The other option is a solar USB powerbank with a car charger and 5V to 12V step-up circuit. You can get them off Ebay, too. The solar charger is very good for charging phone, too. Get one with 5000mAh or more. The basic 1000mAh banks are too weak.
 radson 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Mikkel:

Thats not true. A good solar setup can charge batteries in a couple of hours. I like the Goal0 Sherpa 50 setup.
 Bimble 06 Sep 2013
In reply to Rick Asher:

Get the battery grip (BG-E5), which comes with two trays that take either 2 normal Canon batteries, or alternatively 6 AA batteries. Use that one, and a solar charger to re-charge the AA's instead.
 lordyosch 07 Sep 2013
In reply to Rick Asher: we took a powermonkey extreme with solar cell to Spain this summer.
Leaving it in the sun all day provide enough power to charge a tablet computer to about 55%.

The power monkey is rated to 9000maH as is the battery in my tablet.

I was quite impressed with it.

Jay
 AlH 07 Sep 2013
In reply to radson: another vote for Goalzero products. Kept us in batteries and iPhone charge for a month in the Pamir this summer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...