UKC

gps help please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gazlynn 03 Sep 2013
Can anyone help please. I'm in Slovenia and have a sidarta map of the Triglav area. I'm finding it difficult to know what settings to switch my Garmin geko gps to for it to coincide / work with this map or whether it can be used here as it's pretty old and not top of the range.

I am off to the mountains tomorrow and would like to use it as a back up if at all possible.

Cheers

Gaz
Shearwater 03 Sep 2013
In reply to Gazlynn:
It should be possible to change the co-ordinate mode of your GPS... it'll be under settings, or units, or somesuch.

If the map you've got doesn't have a suitable grid system though, you're out of luck. Have a look at the blurb on it, and see if you can see any mention of something like 'UTM' or 'GPS'. Not all maps are guaranteed to have a GPS-friendly coordinate system, and even if they did it isn't guaranteed that a cheaper, older device like the Geko would understand them anyway.
 AndyC 03 Sep 2013
In reply to Gazlynn:

The Sidarta maps are supposed to be 'GPS compatible' so the may be using the standard GPS datum which is WGS84. To set a map datum on the Geko:

Go to Menu Page
Choose 'Setup'
Choose 'Units'
Choose 'Map datum'
Scroll to the Sidarta datum, eg: WGS84 (or check map legend)
Press 'OK'

OP Gazlynn 03 Sep 2013
In reply to both:

I got it sorted thanks for your replies.

Cheers

Gaz
 JdotP 25 Sep 2013
In reply to Shearwater:
> If the map you've got doesn't have a suitable grid system though, you're out of luck.

Actually, I found a way to add a GPS-compatible grid to any map you can get/scan in an electronic copy of. All is described here

http://britishmuzkol2013.wordpress.com/2013/07/08/the-geeks-shall-inherit-t...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...