UKC

Bulking and cutting in climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Keendan 03 Sep 2013
Naturally asking a question like this means that the OP has already started doing what he's asking about.

Interested to see if people have had success with this training philosophy applied to climbing.

I'm starting climbing-specific strength training now with the aim to cut down to my climbing weight after a few months.
 JonathanJones 03 Sep 2013
In reply to Daniel Heath:

Just putting on weight will act as weight training! I jumped up 2 V grades in a year, helped a lot by losing 2 stone I think.
 DDDD 03 Sep 2013

Have you thought about getting down to your target weight but train with extra weight. Then when it comes to the climbing season for you, the required lower intake of calories to lose weight won't affect your performance. Weight loss can be done very gradually so as to not affect energy for training.
 lost1977 03 Sep 2013

it could work as a seasonal thing depending on what your year round aims are and the climbing your do
 mark s 03 Sep 2013
In reply to Daniel Heath: absolute waste of time,ive bulked by near 3 stone at the max and my climbing is not a patch on what it was.
just stay lean in the first place.
ice.solo 04 Sep 2013

body mass gains from strength training then stripped back to a better weight:strength ratio shouldnt be too hard.

its not really the bulking & cutting stuff bodybuilders do, so neither phase should be too drastic.

i have it happen mostly unintentionally (on the cusp of it now actually), switching between strength/integrity (and a little bit of mass gain) and endurance phases. loss of weight is about 5kg (including about a 2% drop in body fat) but loss of strength is negligible as i still retain peak strength sessions and some body integrity work.

im not radical about it as its not my focus (i only aim to drop the weight of the base gear i will wear) and i dont put a huge amount on to begin with (maybe 5kg over about 5 months).
im not sure bodybuilding type mass gain would be much good for climbing strength as its based on low rep, isolated sets with limited ROM. likewise the cutting phase isnt really endurance based.
 AJM 04 Sep 2013

Doesn't sound like a terrible thing to do as long as you keep it relevant - focus on strength gains during the base period of a training cycle and then when you start to hit the power endurance phase start to slowly strip off any excess as you go. Just don't go nuts on full on bodybuilding training because you'll get way too heavy with totally unnecessary muscles!
In reply to Daniel Heath: Ive been climbing 5 mths.I have just started to train to improve.I was going to run like i usally do,but decided on a big set of steps about a mile away,thats my warm up I did 5 sets of 5 running up them but striding 2 or 3 at a time(there quite big steps).When i got home i did chins in as many positions as poss until failiure,some press ups then sit ups for the core.Im going to do this every other work day,then climb weekends.I try to keep it as basic as i can,i will let you know if i start jumping grades in the next 3 months ha ha
OP Keendan 04 Sep 2013
In reply to cheek to the rock:

Thanks everyone for varied responses from people of totally different backgrounds!

Cheek to the rock, your training sounds pretty intense but I'm struggling to apply it to my question good luck with it anyway.
OP Keendan 04 Sep 2013
In reply to AJM:
> (In reply to Daniel Heath)
>
> you'll get way too heavy with totally unnecessary muscles!

You Jelly Brah?
In reply to Daniel Heath: I do know about cutting weight ive done it a few times.i dropped six kg in a week once,I didnt feel right,i was still training for 4 of them days whilst cutting,felt pxss weak during the fight and lost.I cant see why you would do it to climb unless you had some massive project that called for it.Its hard discipline and its horrible,special when your mrs and mates are all eating nice stuff on the plus side its the only time ive ever seen my six pack
OP Keendan 01 Oct 2013

Well I think it's working

Just posting to keep the thread active, will update in a few weeks
 Kieran_John 03 Oct 2013

I'm expert at putting weight on, It's the losing it part I'm struggling with.

And it's not muscle I'm putting on.

I don't think I'm doing this right... (scoffs pork pie)
 UKB Shark 04 Oct 2013

In terms of variation aim to keep the body fat at 10% when bulking. You can use a bulking phase as an excuse for overeating which doesn't help with strength gains and can lead to bad habits and excess weight that you might find losing it harder than anticipated. Well that's what happened to me.
 riddle 04 Oct 2013

Hi Dan,

Hope all is well with you, just read this article and thought of you and this thread.

http://npcnewsonline.com/powerbuilding-you-dont-grow-in-the-gym/63930/#.Uk8...
OP Keendan 04 Oct 2013
In reply to riddle:

Looks good at a glance, will read later, thanks
OP Keendan 05 Oct 2013
In reply to shark: A good reminder for sure!

I'm not counting calories but generally eating more protein than usual and not too much sugar or processed food. Some discipline will be needed on the cutting phase but equally I don't want to over do it, as faster results are more temporary.
OP Keendan 05 Oct 2013
In reply to riddle:

Thanks R.

Great article, and I have adopted the sentiment of High intensity-Long Rests-low volume-Good rest days. I even sleep a lot! It seems to work as far as I can tell.

What's interesting is my housemate has a completely different approach and does dozens of pull ups several times a day, no rest day. He used to be very strong, and finds it hard to achieve a deep burn, so just does pull ups all the time to compensate. We'll see who gets stronger!
 frqnt 05 Oct 2013
What are you trying to achieve? You're profile lends itself to sending tougher objectives on rock?

Sounds like a pointless stress on the body to achieve something that could be realised through healthier means and to a better more sustainable degree. In my experience bulk is neigh on redundant for climbing specific strength.

Also, don't underestimate the importance of quality carbohydrate - will be far more beneficial recording strength gains than an above average protein intake. Your body will be running on reduced blood glucose and no doubt craving muscle glycogen. Gluconeogenesis, the process to convert protein to carbohydrate for aforementioned purposes, is a poor economy and can lead to excessive nitrogen in the body.

Stevie Haston has a propper grip on things, pun intended - check his blog.

Reside at your optimum climbing weight and always be your strongest I rekkin. Any weight gained will almost certainly be offset by increased strength this way.
OP Keendan 05 Oct 2013
In reply to frqnt:
> (In reply to Daniel Heath)
> What are you trying to achieve? You're profile lends itself to sending tougher objectives on rock?
>
>

-Build a foundation for power (noticed a progressive weakness in body strength moves, eg undercuts, gastons, lockoff strength.
-Self esteem (I've had to buy new T shirts)
-Make body compensate for heavy weight to maximise effect of cutting back down
-As a fun experiment
-A reason to train really hard!

It may not be the optimal approach, and you are right that most good climbers stay light all the time. But I'm motivated for it.
 frqnt 05 Oct 2013
> (In reply to frqnt)

> -A reason to train really hard!

That's the most beneficial aspect from my experience; training double time to drop it off so the opportunity to realise next level strength and fitness is rife. Couple that with the resultant reduced weight and you should find some improvement.

Sure you already know it but to drive it home - you're only as strong as your weakest link, take from it what you will. At least you know where it's at. Stay strong.
OP Keendan 19 Oct 2013

Week 6 update!

Also to add to the mix I'm using creatine (well someone has to try it).

My shoulders and arms look a bit bigger. I haven't gained too much weight. But I am heavy for me (69kg). It hasn't affected my RP grade yet. And I can still run 1.5 miles in 8:20.

I will continue to work hard and eat plenty for 6 weeks. I was advised against cutting too early because these gains are probably temporary. Therefore 12 weeks minimum before the cut.

youtube.com/watch?v=HgZnPNmG-4Q&
OP Keendan 20 Oct 2013

First ever muscle up this week!

Just did 17 in a session

Psyched!

Well done!
Simos 20 Oct 2013

Awesome! Hopefully I'll get to do it too one day (not that I try) but probably won't happen (esp if I don't start trying!)
OP Keendan 04 Nov 2013
OP Keendan 12 Nov 2013

youtube.com/watch?v=GAo0_OS6R2g&

Hopefully I'll manage a OAP from the bottom when I'm back down to 63kg!
 Mike Hewitt 24 Nov 2013
 mark s 24 Nov 2013

thats not bulked? what are you 9 or 10 stone?
so you have put a bit of fat on now you want to loose it??

all that time and effort could have been spent doing something useful for climbing instead.
 Offwidth 24 Nov 2013
In reply to mark s:

Exactly. I worry about creatine use as well as a short cut: the judo guys I know seem to be creaking heavily in their late forties and then there are some with liver damage. I guess proper training, proper diet and getting the mileage in to build skills and endurance is all too slow.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 25 Nov 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

> I guess proper training, proper diet and getting the mileage in to build skills and endurance is all too slow.

Just putting it out there, but in the 3 years I've known him Dan has gone from wobbly at E1 to pretty solid at E5 and 7c onsight. Im not sure what you call 'proper training, proper diet and getting the mileage in' but I think whatever Dan has been doing is working fairly well.

That's not to suggest he's infallible of course, but if you're going to make sweeping statements at least make sure that they're accurate.
Simos 25 Nov 2013
In reply to remus:

Agree - I don't know Dan but looks like he's not doing too badly so don't get all the negativity on his progress! And also, I don't think these weeks were a waste of time at all - maybe he hasn't put on a huge amount of weight by bodybuilding standards but he does seem to be stronger now so it can't be a bad thing! In any case everyone needs a bit of variety in their training, even if it's not the most 'efficient' use of time, to keep them interested and the body guessing.

I think the original comment by Offwidth was mostly about creatine though - I don't know that much about creatine myself other than it is a bit controversial and needs to be taken with care (cycles etc) so for anyone that doesn't have high-level competitive aspirations (maybe Dan has, no idea!) and needs to find 'shortcuts' or something to give an 'edge', I don't personally see much reason to take it but at the end of the day everyone is entitled to make their own decisions about their bodies.
 franksnb 25 Nov 2013

I'm currently in an accidental bulk stage, weighing in at a mighty 14.1 stone (90kg). I can do 4 chin ups on a good day. If i got back down to 11.5 stone (73kg), losing 1/5th of my body weight do you think I would experience a 1/5th improvement in strength i.e. 5 chinups? or do you think there would be a greater improvement?
 lost1977 25 Nov 2013
In reply to Simos:

Creatine controversial ? Need's to be taken with care and cycled.

Please provide links you admit to not knowing much about it but nothing you have stated is at all correct
 mark s 25 Nov 2013
In reply to Daniel Heath: creatine is pap to be honest,it works better with some than others.as for taking it for climbing you are better off spending the money on two trips to the climbing wall.

OP Keendan 25 Nov 2013
In reply to mark s:

I clearly opened a can of worms here, what fun.

The creatine is because a friend gave it to me. Thought it would be fun to try. I used it for 10 weeks.

As for useful training. I'm having massive issues with forearm recovery these days. It's a separate issue, and the reason I'm doing more bodyweight strength challenges to maintain sanity.

BTW I was 11 stone in the photos, and I'm just losing weight (5kg) short term for a trip. I fully accept this is rushed and unhealthy, it's the situation with the time available.
OP Keendan 25 Nov 2013
In reply to franksnb:

That's a lot of weight to lose. Losing it any time soon is probably unhealthy and likely to cause you to crash in the future (short term gains).

Regards to the effect on pull ups, yes it makes them easier.

Hey, lucky you being able to do 5x5s with out messing about with weights!
OP Keendan 25 Nov 2013
In reply to mark s:

Thanks for your comments. Interesting to read of someone who has gone from high grades to very muscular.
Simos 25 Nov 2013
In reply to lost1977:

To be honest I don't care at all to enter a discussion on creatine as I don't know much about it nor I care enough to debate but since you asked, any supplement I've ever seen advises to take it in cycles. Usually there is a loading phase and then some smaller maintenance dose plus I've seen max cycle durations on some.

Example of how to take:
http://www.maximuscle.com/nutrition/creatineforbeginners

You can read about some claimed side-effects here although in modest doses and with breaks in consumption I would guess it's quite safe unless you have any underlying conditions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatine

Anyway as I said, I am no expert and the truth is that I wouldn't be too worried on health grounds about taking it myself but since I am rubbish at climbing I don't see any point - somehow I don't think it'll make any difference to my climbing but it'll make some difference to my bank balance
 franksnb 25 Nov 2013

i am quite fat im sure it would be healthier to lose it
 mark s 25 Nov 2013

i was 13 and just over when i was climbing hard,now im 16 stone.although im very strong it does transfer on to rock at all.im far stronger than when i climbed E8
the bulk the diet thing is what bodybuilders do during off season.i really cant see how it will help climbing.
just try and keep your weight down all the time.
OP Keendan 25 Nov 2013
In reply to frqnt:

Yes read that one. So interesting how he is practically the same grade over massive physical changes
 mark s 25 Nov 2013
In reply to mark s:

that should say doesnt tranfer to rock.
also flexabilty goes,for example i cant touch my hands behind my back by about 6 or 8 inches
 frqnt 25 Nov 2013
In reply to mark s:
Maybe you're doing it wrong; read the link to Stevie Haston's blog ^^.

I do generally agree with you, but this goes to show everybody is different. Keeping ones body from adapting to the status-quo is key and thus I would be suprised if Daniels experiment did not wield improvements. Keep the body thinking. Do something different every day so there is no norm and all that jazz.

Dan, re. your one arm pullup vid I saw somewhere; looking decent.
 frqnt 25 Nov 2013
In reply to mark s:

> i cant touch my hands behind my back
Bulk coupled with specific bone structure will contribute towards poor mobility but it is probable you can improve it with the correct exercises. Attributing poor mobility to bulk alone isn’t really sound if you ask me. It just demonstrates you’re not doing anything to improve it.
 Offwidth 26 Nov 2013
In reply to remus:

I don't know the man but his profile doesn't indicate he is solid at either of those two grades (presuming you mean on head/redpoint). Even if he has got to that ability in 3 years for someone really keen and suited and not especially injury prone it is not unusual. I've known people do similar in a few months when they gained some better habits and some self belief. I'm not an expert on creatine either but long term effects are not clear and it is dangerous in some situations. Another useful site is here:

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/creatine
OP Keendan 01 Dec 2013

Well, I'm not particularly bulked, and not particularly cut as anyone who sees me will notice.

However, I just did my first ever one-arm pull up. Video posted on my homepage https://www.facebook.com/dheath4

I would say that's a fairly good mark of improvement, considering I failed to lock off at 90 when I started this training.

In conclusion, I would say that for a skinny guy like me who struggles to get strong, the following is useful (for a few months):

-Calorie surplus
-High intensity, low reps
-Creatine

My appearance has barely changed, but I have achieved my best ever pull-strength/weight ratio at 10.5 stone.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...