/ Ice climbing in canadian rockies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
telemarker79 - on 03 Sep 2013
Hi

Any suggestions or particular favourite areas for 2 one week trips into the Canadian Rockies, grades WI3-5. Aiming to head to somewhere between Revelstoke and Banff, anytime jan to march.

Thanks in advance
Lew13 - on 03 Sep 2013
In reply to telemarker79:

Icefields Parkways is one of the places I would loved to have visited, some of the crags/routes there look absolutely amazing!

Banff itself has some fairly good stuff around it too .... Have you got a guide? If not drop me a line and I'll mail you a PDF.
Stuart the postie - on 04 Sep 2013

Field would would be a good bet, we stayed in someones basement when we went there in 2000. The ACC in Canmore is the obvious choice, though slightly further away.

Stuart
EddieG - on 04 Sep 2013
In reply to telemarker79: second the icefields parkway. Stay at rampart creek hostel. Or Banff, or Golden, or Canmore. Mixed guidebook by Sean Isaac should be available. I think the Rockies ice guide is long out of print. Happy trails!
andyinglis - on 04 Sep 2013
In reply to telemarker79: Sean Issac's mixed guide wont help you if you want to know about WI3-5 routes. There is an online copy of Joe JOsephsons ice guide somewhere.... I forget where.... anyway, you can print off the sections that interest you..... or just google the grades and area's your interested in and you should find plenty. 4 wheel drive motor is pretty useful out there. Rampart creek is a good place to be based for a few days as others have said, but as with most of the area's, you'll have to drive most days and its certainly not like Kandersteg or Rujkan where there's masses in almost walking distance. Depending on where your going, you may want snow shoes or ski touring kit....

Andy
dunnyg - on 04 Sep 2013
In reply to telemarker79: Field, Kananaskis and Icefields parkway. Didnt go up the parkway, regret it massively!
johnhowell - on 04 Sep 2013
another vote for the Iceflields parkway and staying at Rampart Creek
We flew into Calgary and then drove up to Banff. Stayed in the hostel there for a few days and climbed in the area, Canmore etc
Then drove up to the Parkway and stayed in Rampart Creek. Lots to do around there. Then we ended up in Jasper. We had a copy of Joe Josphsons book whichI think you can get online. Awesome trip, highlight for me was Weeping Wall - Just epic
Lew13 - on 04 Sep 2013

Kannaskis (?) county also has fun crags.

Have a look at The Professor Falls on Mt.Rundle...it's awesome!
telemarker79 - on 05 Sep 2013
In reply to telemarker79: thanks for the advice so far, great help on the reading and planning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.