UKC

Anyone else get a spot in the Lakeland 100??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 b_fillmore 04 Sep 2013
Or anyone run it in the past?

If so any helpful hints?!
 Wonrek 04 Sep 2013
In reply to b_fillmore: I'm in! Afraid I can't pass on any helpful hints other than we've got ten months to sort out any navigational issues
In reply to Wonrek: If you're ever over Snowdonia way, I'd be more than happy to help you with navigation. I'm trying to build up my mileage running to half marathon distance.
 Wonrek 04 Sep 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: thanks Highclimber! I'll give you a shout if I'm up that way. I live in Cornwall so sadly my visits to the hills are limited but happy to help distance in return for nav practise:-D
 KevinJ 04 Sep 2013
In reply to b_fillmore:
Not in the 100, but I did get a spot in the 50. Definitely not up for the full 100 miler yet.
Planning on using the next 11 months to recce the route and work on my hills! I think for me, if I recce the route self supported, my nutrition planning will be right. If I don't get that right, I know that over distance, I will have GI "concerns".
 Paul Atkinson 04 Sep 2013
In reply to b_fillmore: I did the 100 this year - as a survivor rather than contender - finished 100th in 37:08. I'm not going back next year, trying to get a place in UTMB instead.

Presuming you're in the aiming to finish rather than win camp the lessons I've taken from this year are:

If possible recce the course to the extent that map and roadbook are redundant. The official recce days are said to be excellent but I never went on one. You don't need nav sapping your time and morale on the second night out

At as early a stage as possible identify what (reasonably cushioned) shoes and pack and hydration system (and poles if you're so inclined) suit you and use them on your long training runs

Do some starvation runs to get the fat burning trained and some stuffing your face with "proper" food runs to get accustomed to that

Do some overnight runs if you're not used to them

Don't neglect strength and core work as you get obsessed with building up the miles

Hope you enjoy the journey to the starting line, it does have a tendency to take over your life! It's an amazing event - I'm already rather regretting not doing it again. I'm very pleased with my T shirt

P
 Banned User 77 04 Sep 2013
In reply to b_fillmore: Train loads... train specifically.. but on the day it should be esy for 30-40 miles.. I find it incredible the pace people go on things like the UTMB.. they need to average 20 min miles.. less? yet they head down that road 8-9 minute miling..
 Wonrek 05 Sep 2013
In reply to Paul Atkinson: was that your first 100 or have you done others and how did it compare? I'll be like yourself and looking to get round it in as good a time and shape as I can.

Totally agree about te night running, I personally don't find the nights themselves an issue but the early morning dawn always seems my flash points for fatigue and morale. I guess we're all different though.

I've done a few 100ks and a 100 mike training run. I'm about to run my first 100race in the next few weeks the Cotswold Way Century so all being well ill have the miles in legs and experience needed fr LL.

My only extra advice to add would be to learn to look after your feet. Know when sock changes are needed and I thnk toughest of all learning how to discipline yourself to stop and manage hot spots before they develop into blisters and potentially start real problems.
 Paul Atkinson 05 Sep 2013
In reply to Wonrek: Yes it was my first 100 so I've nothing to compare with. A bunch of experienced ultra runners discussed this on the L100 FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/119709248044092/permalink/679001365448208/

They mostly seem to reckon it's much harder than some other 100s but there's a couple of detractors from that and I would guess background makes a big difference as well eg maybe it's relatively harder for road ultra and Ironman people than for fell runners who are used to the terrain

There's been debates on the FRA forum about how it compares to BGR and UTMB with people who have done all 3 failing to agree on which is harder - so I wouldn't care to guess!

Determination/motivation is obviously important - finishing the event meant a lot to me for various reasons and it was either finish or have them pry the dibber from my cold dead hands

Good luck with it P
OP b_fillmore 05 Sep 2013
In reply to Paul Atkinson:

Thanks to all the replies, and glad to hear there's a couple out there doing it too.

Wonrek, I'm in London so equally not close to the hills for nav stuff but no doubt I'll be going up a few weekends for recces etc before the event so if you fancy learning together by all means get in touch.

I've a couple of ultras under my belt now, mostly in mountains so have a feeling for the terrain. Last time in the Lakes had to be pulled by two blokes out of bog, hoping (no praying) for no repeat this time..

Paul - yes I'll be in as a 'survivor' not contender.. Thanks for the tips on fat burning sessions, I've been reading a lot about the importance of getting them in - sounds like a few early mornings in springtime..

Other than that guess it's prepare prepare prepare.. Test out kit in plenty of time and get the miles in over the winter months..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...