UKC

Ben Nevis Race.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andymac 04 Sep 2013
On Saturday

Anyone on here doing it .

I'm going to watch and to see the superhuman challenge up close.

After being up twice in the last month ,I take my hat off to those who are up and down in 90 minutes.
 petestack 04 Sep 2013
In reply to andymac:
> Anyone on here doing it .

Yep, me.

> I'm going to watch and to see the superhuman challenge up close.

Doubt I'll see much of the superhumans, though...

> take my hat off to those who are up and down in 90 minutes.

Yep, me too!

andymac 04 Sep 2013
In reply to andymac:

The stretch from the meet with Hostel path ,up to the lochan seems like the toughest bit to me.

Lot of big fu#k off granite steps .

And the long scree bend above (five finger gully?) seems never ending, until that blissful 90 degree left.
 petestack 04 Sep 2013
In reply to andymac:

Toughest bit's the road on the way back!
andymac 04 Sep 2013
In reply to petestack:

Road ?

I thought they started at the bottom of the hill.

?
 petestack 04 Sep 2013
In reply to andymac:

Claggan Park.
andymac 04 Sep 2013
In reply to petestack:

FFS.

That's just sadistic.

Yer all mad.MAD!
 petestack 04 Sep 2013
In reply to andymac:
> And the long scree bend above (five finger gully?) seems never ending, until that blissful 90 degree left.

Also note that nobody does all the zigzigs.

andymac 04 Sep 2013
In reply to petestack:

You'll be hoping for a clear day then.

You may be in luck..
 alicia 04 Sep 2013
In reply to petestack:

Good luck and enjoy, Pete!
 Banned User 77 04 Sep 2013
In reply to andymac: not many get that.. 1:40 is a good target.. superb race.

Done it a few times.. ran 1:42 and 1:45 but 1:45 I finished 9th or so.. had a shocking descent but caught loads on the road..

The road is horrible.. you hit it and get this strange hip wiggle.. proper jelly legs.. its then almost a mile along a gently undulating road..watching somewhere around the burn will be good.. get to see plenty up and down..
 petestack 04 Sep 2013
In reply to andymac:
> You'll be hoping for a clear day then.

Not necessarily (quite happy with overcast/cloudy and dryish rock).

In reply to alicia:
> Good luck and enjoy, Pete!

Thanks, Alicia. But I can't be the only one here doing it?

In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to andymac) not many get that.. 1:40 is a good target..

For you, maybe, but not many get that either (be pretty pleased with 2:05 myself!).

In reply to petestack: Yeah I suppose.. top 10 are normally around that.. well bit off that.. but sub 2 most be the equivalent of a jura sub 4.. well probably a bit easier weather dependant though. I've done it both times in perfect conditions. The year it was horrid I missed it as I had a 100k a few weeks after.

J Brown 04 Sep 2013
In reply to andymac:

I'll be there, third time... 2:20 would be a PB, so that's my target!

Like the comments above, I find the guys at the sharp end truly inspiring.

And yes, here's hoping for dry rock for the descent.
andymac 04 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Had a look at the entry list.

Didn't realise there's 600 starters.

Wouldn't want to be racing down the mountain .

Must need a lot of concentration on the bottom third .or it's carnage.

9th? .hat doffed.
In reply to andymac: I love the last third.. its the steep scree which is bad.. the race takes a direct line through the zig zags.. down to the burn and back to that path.. but I'm much more of a trail runner these days so prefer the bottom third terrain.. even then there are loads of short cuts..

Every year I've had a big fall.. some brutal terrain.. its a race with all terrain really.. proper classic race.
andymac 04 Sep 2013
In reply to J Brown:

I find them ,and you ,all rather inspiring.

I helped at a small on Ben More (mull) this year ,counting the runners at the summit and one of the first few runners to arrive was such an impressive sight.

Out of the morning mists came this man ,who I was informed was in his 50s , and he was like a gazelle. An awesome sight.

His name is Alan Smith ( dee side runners) ,and I see his name on the Nevis entry list.

Obviously the guys in front of him were impressive ,but the fact that this guy was in his 50's blew my mind a bit.

Guy who was assisting me marshalling ,and has finished in the top ten on the 3 Peaks (Yorkshire) several times, remarked that one of the first things he learnt when hill running ,was never to judge a book by its cover.

" the old boys can give you a fright"

In reply to andymac: Alans a hard bugger.. I hate being near him in a race.. if its runnable I'll beat him.. if its steap and rugged he gets me.. I passed him in the finishing straight in the ben race when I came 9th..

He's recently done a ramsay round too.. good runner but a proper hill man..

Lovely guy, just spends all his time literally running around after his reindeer in the Gorms...

I did a race with him last new years in Aberdeen.. he saw me and shouted 'what the blooody hell are you doing up here you pot hunter'... reckoned I'd travelled all that way for the easy win.. I came second... always has time for a chat.
andymac 04 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

On the bottom third ,just below the hairpin bend ,is where I nearly went seriously arse over tit last Thursday.

Managed to hold it together (just)!in front of the Scandinavian looking girls going up.

Nearly a Del Boy ,bar counter moment
In reply to andymac: I think we may cut that.. there are a few sections lower down you jump across to a trod..
andymac 04 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Crickey. You know him.

Yes ,got the impression he was a fine chap.

My feeling is that Attenborough should be making a film about him in his Cairngorm habitat.

Tony the Blade 04 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Didn't the Rodgers brothers win it a few years back to back?

Billy Rodgers joined the RM's (that's how I know him) but afaia still holds the record... I could be wrong though, it's been known before.
In reply to Tony the Blade: sure davie has.. dont know his brother...
 petestack 04 Sep 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade:
> but afaia still holds the record...

Nope, Kenny Stuart at 1:25:34 since 1984.
In reply to andymac: Small world. but also not many fell runners travel much... me and Alan both do so we've raced all over the UK together...
In reply to petestack: what did CD run? had an idea he ran a stupidly fast time aged 19 or something..
 petestack 04 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

1:25:48 in 1986. But he'd have been mid-20s then.
In reply to petestack: Ok that was it.. with so many of the UK's best times you'll see CD's name...
 Tony the Blade 04 Sep 2013
In reply to petestack:
> (In reply to Tony the Blade)
> [...]
>
> Nope, Kenny Stuart at 1:25:34 since 1984.

Yes, you're correct, a quick Google check reveals that I'm talking out of my arse. Billy holds other fell racing records but but not Ben Nevis race.
In reply to IainRUK: Just seen on the book its CDs birthday today... 53? 54? still winning races...
 petestack 04 Sep 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> what did CD run? had an idea he ran a stupidly fast time aged 19 or something..

Found it for you, Iain (1:31:26 in 1979).

In reply to IainRUK:
> Ok that was it.. with so many of the UK's best times you'll see CD's name...

He still holds the Half-Ben record (now 30 years old) and is still winning races outright in his 50s. But it's a pity folk get so caught up with the aura of the (admittedly staggering) Stuart record that we rarely hear about the other times (eg John Wild's 1:25:35 and Mark Rigby's 1:26:08) that compare to Stuart's and CD's bests!

Banned User 77 05 Sep 2013
In reply to petestack:
In reply to petestack:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
> [...]
>
> Found it for you, Iain (1:31:26 in 1979).
>
> In reply to IainRUK:
> [...]
>
> He still holds the Half-Ben record (now 30 years old) and is still winning races outright in his 50s. But it's a pity folk get so caught up with the aura of the (admittedly staggering) Stuart record that we rarely hear about the other times (eg John Wild's 1:25:35 and Mark Rigby's 1:26:08) that compare to Stuart's and CD's bests!
Aye.. hold some records.. but when CD approaches you and say 'Iain? why were you so slow last year'.. his Mobile number in my pirme remains a bragging point.
 GraB 05 Sep 2013
In reply to petestack:
I'm doing it too. And ran the Ben More race on Mull. Alan turned up at the start with about 3 minutes to the off. No warm up at all.

I also ran Jura this year and at about the third summit saw Alan just ahead of me... I thought I must have gone off way too fast to have him anywhere near me (I'd done absolutely no training in the 4 months before the race so was just aiming for a plod). He came in 10th place so must have torn through the second half of the race. Speaking to a few folk at the weekend who know him they reckon he "can't run", so does better on steep technical ups and downs... which explains why I was anywhere near him in the first half of Jura. Very impressive indeed, anyway.

andymac 05 Sep 2013
In reply to GraB:
> (In reply to petestack)
> I'm doing it too. And ran the Ben More race on Mull. Alan turned up at the start with about 3 minutes to the off. No warm up at all.
>
> I also ran Jura this year and at about the third summit saw Alan just ahead of me... I thought I must have gone off way too fast to have him anywhere near me (I'd done absolutely no training in the 4 months before the race so was just aiming for a plod). He came in 10th place so must have torn through the second half of the race. Speaking to a few folk at the weekend who know him they reckon he "can't run", so does better on steep technical ups and downs... which explains why I was anywhere near him in the first half of Jura. Very impressive indeed, anyway.

He's obviously ,as Iain says a hill man.

At the top of Ben More , he was right behind Tom Smith ,who won the race .

Think there was a 30 second gap at the finish.(bottom)

Good luck with the race.
 john irving 05 Sep 2013
In reply to andymac:
The Ben Race is not a superhuman challenge, at least in the punter part of the field.
I remember the feeling of disbelief when we struggled down the redburn age 15, when told that people raced up and down this route. We were not in top form after a week of carrying our bodyweight in camping gear, tinned food, multiple stoves etc along the west highland way. I knew for sure I would never do the Ben Race.
I got a late entry this year and am not likely to threaten my PB which is not fast 2:31 but I am looking forward to a good thrash up and down.
Every mountaineer should do the Ben Race once.
 GordyB 06 Sep 2013
In reply to GraB:
> (In reply to petestack)
> I'm doing it too. And ran the Ben More race on Mull. Alan turned up at the start with about 3 minutes to the off. No warm up at all.
>

I was on the Ben More run too. Alan was late because as usual he'd been half way up the hill as his warm up....

Stayed in same house as Alan on Jura last year, he turned up with half a wild boar for dinner and freezer.

andymac 07 Sep 2013
In reply to andymac:

Well done to Finlay Wild.

And well done to all who competed

Some tired bodies crossing the line.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...