ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - HVS Sandbag Grade ??

Ciderslider - on 05 Sep 2013
Having got myself to a point where I would say that I'm pretty solid on the lead on most VS (inc some pretty stiff Swanage routes) I've started pushing my grade into HVS territory.
What I've found is that HVS (like all grades) is a real mixed bag. Take for example Ledgend Direct at Swanage (path) Eliminator at Stanage HVS 5b (a really friendly route with ample gear in all the right places), Goliath's Groove (a tough struggle but totally safe). Then compare that with the likes of Queersville (two really nasty crux sections and gear that's not exactly great, full potential for hurting yourself). Rugosity Crack (really technical and tough for an oaf like me).
Also stuff like Right Unconquerable (which is all there but really goey and requires full steam ahead captain).
Whilst I appreciate that it's going to get harder it just seems like a massive step up (in most cases).
I assume that the step to extreme is maybe not quite as bad ?
So have I just got to get on with it, and as the yanks would say "Suck it up"
I would be very interested in your views on the progression from solid VS through HVS to E1.
Cheers
Ciderslider

... not showing 233 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums