UKC

29ers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 a13x 05 Sep 2013
Thinking of getting an entry level 29er. Something like a Trek Wahoo, anyone got any 29er advice? Whats the handling like at low speed?

The kind of riding I tend to do is red trails at trail centres.

Cheers, Alex
needvert 05 Sep 2013
In reply to a13x:

I got a 29er, Giant Anthem X0 or X1. Keen to put on some 180mm XT disc brakes.

Glad I didn't get a 26er. 29 rocks. Roll over anything, faster. Sure, handling takes a bit of adjustment for tight stuff but you get used to it.
In reply to a13x: I built a 29er at the start of the year. Went from a medium 26" 140 mm full sus to a extra large 100mm hardtail, and I prefer it in every way. The bike climbs and rolls quicker as you'd expect yet I was amazed to find descends much quicker too (apart from really bumpy stuff maybe). The bigger frame helps but I think it's mainly the longer wheelbase, never feel like I'm going over the bars on it (something that used to happen often). Wouldn't go back to 26" wheels again. I'm 6'3"
 galpinos 05 Sep 2013
In reply to a13x:

I habve one (On-One Inbred). I really like it.

My advice: Try one, if you like it, buy one? I'd recommend going for hydraulic not mechanical brakes and slightly better forks.
 MischaHY 05 Sep 2013
In reply to a13x: Ok, looks like I'm the designated alternative recommender... 27.5?
 MattJP 05 Sep 2013
In reply to a13x:

I have just picked up the Trek Cobia 29er and I love it! So smooth and fast, and helps me get my lard arse up pretty much anything with its 11 - 36 cassette.

I will never go back to 26" wheels.

My only slight downside is I am slower in tight berms, but that really doesnt matter!

Highly recommended!
In reply to galpinos: Mine too. Excellent frame regardless of the price, (to the op) Johnj's selling one in the premier posts, he'll probably help you build it too if you're interested. Built my wheels and did a cracking job.
 Chris the Tall 05 Sep 2013
In reply to a13x:
Getting a 29er 4 years ago dramatically changed my MTBing, from something I did occasionally to my main hobby (displacing climbing, for now at least)

Unless you're a midget or are looking for a downhill only bike then 29ers are a no-brainer IMHO. You go faster and roll over minor obstacles with ease. And if you're tall, then you are less likely to go over the handlebars, so I've found I have far more confidence going downhill.

The only drawback is the obvious one - longer wheelbase, so really tight corners are harder. For red runs at trail centres it shouldn't be much of an issue.

I've got a Trek X-Cal and been very happy with it
 ti_pin_man 05 Sep 2013
galpinos +1

I test rode 12 or so last year when considering a new bike and drew the conclusion that by and large, they are all just bikes, wheel size didnt make a great bike, if the bike was great it was great.

Go ride one and decide for yourself if it suits you.

defo go hydraulic brakes.
 TMM 05 Sep 2013
In reply to a13x:

Felt Nine Race for me purchased via the company's 'cycle to work' scheme. Brilliant. I previously had a Kona Kula. Sold the Kula for more than the Felt cost.

I love the way it rides for XC and on those inevitable road or fire track sections you can fly along compared to those on 26's.

Do it.
 rallymania 05 Sep 2013
In reply to shaun l:
> (In reply to a13x) Went from a medium 26" 140 mm full sus to a extra large 100mm hardtail, The bigger frame helps but I think it's mainly the longer wheelbase, never feel like I'm going over the bars on it (something that used to happen often). I'm 6'3"

another perspective... at 6'3" you were about 6-7 inches too tall for your old bike, it's no wonder you were going over the top all the time, i'd suggest that had nothing to do with the wheel size. (or your riding style, in case anyone infers that lol)

i'm 5'9" and have the seat up on the limit on a medium frame.
 Chris the Tall 05 Sep 2013
In reply to rasmanisar:
> (In reply to a13x) Ok, looks like I'm the designated alternative recommender... 27.5?

Splitter !!

The big problem I found with being an early adopter of 29ers (apart from the clown bike jokes from mates) was getting replacement wheels and even tyres. Even now with (I believe) a majority of new bikes being sold being 29ers, retailers seem to have been slow to catch up with parts. After all, they now have to carry three times the stock.

I can see 650B being the ideal choice for any riders, but if it doesn't take off, will you be left high and dry ?
In reply to rallymania: Aye, certainly a factor. That's why I mentioned it The wheels definitely help though, you won't convince me otherwise!

And as for riding style going hell for leather up to an obstacle then shitting it and slamming the front brake on is pretty standard practice no?
 woollardjt 05 Sep 2013
In reply to a13x:

Sorry I'm going to be the only one who isnt going to tell you to go to 29"

I have

A 1949 schwinn spitfire (proper repack bomber)
A Gary Fisher replica klunker
The new transition klunker

Oh and a Ti frame hardtail with 26" wheels

I've ridden 29ers also, felt alright nothing that made me want to rush out and get one and at the end of the day you can have fun on any bike
johnj 05 Sep 2013
In reply to shaun l:
> (In reply to galpinos) Johnj's selling one in the premier posts, he'll probably help you build it too if you're interested. Built my wheels and did a cracking job.

Eyup mate, thanks. frame and forks have sold, still have hope hubs and 29 wheels for sale. That turner was a large by the way.

johnj 05 Sep 2013
In reply to rallymania:
> (In reply to shaun l)
> [...]
>
> another perspective... at 6'3" you were about 6-7 inches too tall for your old bike, it's no wonder you were going over the top all the time, i'd suggest that had nothing to do with the wheel size. (or your riding style, in case anyone infers that lol)
>
> i'm 5'9" and have the seat up on the limit on a medium frame.

I'm just short of 6 foot 2 and on the limit of a medium, a large I can't run the seat post on max.
In reply to johnj:
> (In reply to shaun l)
> [...]
>
That turner was a large by the way.

Ah, like my 29er even more now!

johnj 05 Sep 2013
In reply to shaun l:

Oh yeah I loved riding that inbred this summer, such a quick bike.

johnj 05 Sep 2013
In reply to a13x:

Whinlatter had demo 29ers last time I was up there, I'd guess a lot of places do, probably the easiest thing is to try one on the trails that you intend to do most of your riding on to see how they feel in comparison to what you're currently riding.
 rallymania 06 Sep 2013
In reply to shaun l:

regarding your technique.. nope that sounds about normal! helps if you shout "oh f ck" or scream several times as well, that makes the front levitate at least 6 inches, can make all the difference of you making it over stuff.
 blurty 06 Sep 2013
In reply to a13x:

I find my 29er a bit less manoeverable at low speed, eg ascending on technical switchbacks can be tricky; possibly the wheelbase is longer than my old 26" wheel bike

Overall I love it though(Cotic Solaris) and have given my Santa Cruz full susser away to my son, as I hadn't ridden it at all since building up the Solaris

I am a crap rider, a 29er flatters my meager talents
OP a13x 07 Sep 2013
In reply to a13x:

Thanks for the advice guys. I had a ride on a Trek Wahoo 29er yesterday and really liked it. So I bought it I can't believe how much kit you get for the price nowadays! Off to whinlatter this weekend to play!

Alex

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...