UKC

World challenge to Ecuador

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 didntcomelast 05 Sep 2013
Daughters going to Ecuador for a month next July with world challenge. Part of their trip involves a trek up one of the smaller volcanoes, before they do a fair bit of work with disadvantaged kids.

They have been given a kit list not dissimilar to those given to kids on Dof E expeditions where they have to take everything but the kitchen sink.

One of the areas we are struggling to deal with is in terms of footwear. She wears inov 8 boots the rock light 365's which have done her for all the high Lakeland peaks in various weather conditions.

World challenge state that the footwear should be a boot with ankle support a good grip and a rigid sole unit. Inov's could never be described as rigid, but would they do for her trip.

Any world challenge expedition leaders I would be grateful for you advice.
 Sayon 05 Sep 2013
In reply to didntcomelast: I haven't led for World Challenge, but for similar companies operating in the same environment. The recommendation for "stout footwear", boots with ankle support etc. seems to be a default position, and reflects the risk-averse approach of these companies. Many of the participants won't have done any serious hillwalking. If your daughter is happy on Lakelend fells with Inov8 boots I'm sure she will be absolutely fine wearing them in Ecuador.
oggi 05 Sep 2013
In reply to didntcomelast: I have led for WC including Ecuador. I don't think your daughter should have a problem unless they are attempting one of the higher peaks where there is permanent snow. You will have the opportunity to meet the leader well before the expedition departs and can have a chat with them and decide if you need new boots based on their experience of the actual peak. There will be plenty of time to break new boots in before departure.
OP didntcomelast 05 Sep 2013
In reply to oggi: many thanks for the replies. Both my daughter and I know she will manage with no problems but we are aware of the way companies have over cautious kit regs. She has a practice expedition coming up so that may iron out some issues.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...